5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent.
Published on 22 Feb. 2013 by plesbit

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, but overpriced for a small AA torch
I'm a fan of the LED Lenser brand. Their Police Tech torch (which came with a holster) has long been a favourite of mine. This little brother to that larger model, which I bought on a Black Friday Deal impulse, has a similar heft for its size, and the same black, rugged outer appearance. It comes with a small wrist lanyard.

It runs off a single AA battery (a...
Published 16 months ago by Hawfinch

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, but overpriced for a small AA torch, 29 Nov. 2013
Hawfinch - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Led Lenser A5 High End LED Torch (DIY & Tools)

It runs off a single AA battery (a Duracell was included) which you insert by unscrewing the cap at the back. The head of the torch also unscrews and this doubles as the on switch: fully tightened = maximum brightness; slightly unscrewed = dim; more unscrewed = off. This method of switching feels a bit unsatisfactory to me. For one thing it's difficult to operate with one hand, particularly when wearing gloves. For another, it seems it could let water in if you leave it switched off in the rain with the head partly unscrewed. I'd have preferred a simple click switch.

The beam it produces on the full setting is brighter than a couple of other (much cheaper) torches of similar size that I have to hand. It's also more focussed, producing a fairly tight spot of light rather than a broad beam. Whether this is better or not will depend on what you need it for. For walking at night, I think a broader beam is probably more useful.

The other torches I have of this size cost less than a quarter of the RRP of this one, and though it's not a bad torch, I don't really think it's worth the extra expense.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not impressed with this A5 Led Lenser at all., 27 Dec. 2013
55bb (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Led Lenser A5 High End LED Torch (DIY & Tools)
It arrived this afternoon. I put the battery into it and…nothing. Checked the battery was in the right way round (it was) and screwed the head back on. Nothing. Replaced the battery with another and still nothing. I then removed the end cap, which is plastic, checked the spring and replaced it. Still nothing. I screwed the end cap on as tightly as I could (there was something in the instructions about ensuring it was on tightly) and then we had some light. Lasted about a minute before going off again, and no end of removing and replacing the tail cap made any difference. I'm not even sure why the tail cap is removable as the battery goes in at the (opposite) head end - perhaps they have to be manufactured that way because of the spring?

I have to say that as I was screwing it on I was in fear of the tail cap breaking as it felt of low quality. During the brief period of having light I thought the number of turns of the head to go from low power to high was excessive. I'm not sure if that's normal or part of the reason it stopped working.

I have several other Led Lenser torches, all of which are very good or brilliant (no pun intended, lol!), but this one feels cheap and nasty.

It was repacked and sent back within an hour or so of arriving, and my refund was received within 25 minutes of dropping it off at the local Collect+ shop. Amazon are to be commended for their excellent service.

As for the Led Lenser A5, to be honest I wasn't that impressed with it. I have an A3 and bought the A5 for the slightly longer run time (the A5 uses an AA battery whereas the A3 uses an AAA). Ok, the A3 also has a plastic tail cap but it feels much more solid, even though it's cheaper than the A5, and given the choice between the two I'd go for the smaller A3, which has the same light output as the A5, but lasts an hour less with the smaller battery.

Odd that a company which makes such good products can produce this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent., 22 Feb. 2013
plesbit (Norwich, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Led Lenser A5 High End LED Torch (DIY & Tools)
I think this is probably the best bang for buck (quid!) torch I've seen. It's tiny (not much bigger than my little finger), weighs next to nothing and puts out a ton of light. I've never seen anything like it - for such a tiny little torch on full power it is easily brighter than my 2 D cell Maglite. That's just mad! And not only that but it gets better battery life too out of its single AA battery and you could easily slip it into a trouser pocket and forget it's even there.

Having said all that, as I have the much more expensive P7 for long walks in the dark the A5 tends to sit on my bedside table. In fact both my partner and I have one on our bedside table as they are ideally suited for this, being so small. Unlike with more expensive LED Lenser models you can't focus the beam but design is just about spot on anyway. And the operation is well thought out too. For most things around the house at night the low power mode is all you'll ever need (it's more powerful than my Duracell 2 AA models) and a small twist of the top turns it straight into low power. If that's all you need then leave it there and when you've finished twist it off again. If, however, you find you do need full power, just twist a little more and full power is there. The advantage of this is that you never even have to go to full power unless you deliberately turn it that bit further to do so making this the simplest of torches to operate.

Build quality, it has to be said, is not up to the standard of something like the P7 but then it's less than 1/3 of price and designed to be lighter weight so it was obvious there would have to be some compromises. The lens in the lantern is a little loose and rattles a bit that's all.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good torch ruined by the switch, 11 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Led Lenser A5 High End LED Torch (DIY & Tools)
Packaging and delivery were excellent.
Good:
Torch is strong, compact enough to fit nicely into a pocket.
Light is adjustable.
Bad:
In order to turn on or off, you need to screw/unscrew the battery cap. This really invalidates the purpose of making it small enough to fit in you hand. A simple switch would have meant all the difference.

1.0 out of 5 stars Failure, 8 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Led Lenser A5 High End LED Torch (DIY & Tools)
Bought this recently - and within a week, the switch no longer works.
Echoing another reviewers comments, the switch set up - is unsatisfactory.
Twisting the torch head to turn on and off has failed - and is now permanently off.
No idea how to fix.
Not acceptable, design fault.

2.0 out of 5 stars Bought as a post Christmas present for myself, 28 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Led Lenser A5 High End LED Torch (DIY & Tools)
I bought my wife the LED Lenser P3BM Professional Key Ring Torch as a Christmas present and we were both very happy with the performance so when this Lenser torch was part of Amazon's post Christmas sale thought I would get it for myself. This is of a much poorer quality and I am returning it. The beam is both smaller and not focused and it is basically a very cheaply made and finished item. Had I not purchased it from Amazon I would be tempted to believe it was a counterfeit copy.

I cannot understand how this could be possibly worth the £12.99 asked

4.0 out of 5 stars Tiny yet pretty powerful, 29 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Led Lenser A5 High End LED Torch (DIY & Tools)
Was a little surprised when I opened the Amazon parcel because the torch is probably half the size I expected it to be (think cigar size) but that said I didn't read the actual measurements.

That said I bought this for DIY work and for when I go camping and so the small size is actually a benefit. It's beam more powerful than a torch double the size I had been using and the fact it is LED means it's that much brighter too. It runs off one AA battery too.

I'd say don't let the size put you off.

4.0 out of 5 stars GOOD, COULD HAVE BEEN GREAT, 1 Jan. 2015
A Happy Chappie (Surrey England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Led Lenser A5 High End LED Torch (DIY & Tools)
Brilliant, pardon the pun. Just about the best very small torch I've ever had. Very solid, excellent quality machined metal. Takes an AA battery which seem to last forever. The on/off switch is in the end of the torch . Beam is very powerful for the size, easily good for 20 yards or so.

Turned on by a small twist of the base; the top can be twisted to set the width of the beam. To me the on/off system is not very good, easy to over twist and then you are in to letting the battery out. A straight forward on/off sliding switch or a press stud type as used in the larger version would have been a lot better to my mind.

It gets mostly used for finding the car door locks but has done a turn on occasion as the light for reading the words when carol singing.

3.0 out of 5 stars another Led Lenser with moulded parts, 8 Feb. 2013
M. Patching (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Led Lenser A5 High End LED Torch (DIY & Tools)
Full Aluminium casing with plastic moulded end cap they failed to mention this part.... for a top of the range company the using cheap parts which are spoiling there torches in my opinion..

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant light and feels solid, 18 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Led Lenser A5 High End LED Torch (DIY & Tools)
Good little torch with bright light, but the light beam is too narrow and so it is only good to find the path home. Small size means it is easy to carry in the bag by the misses or kids. The torch have went with the kids to a few expeditions/camping trips and it survived.

The torch looks well made and feels solid, but the twisting action to turn on/off doesn't feel that it will last. The action certainly feels not as good as the Maglite. However, after using it for the last year, it still works so may be it will last.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›