5.0 out of 5 stars amazing piece of fiction
Published 18 months ago by Robert Powell

3.0 out of 5 stars enjoyable
didnt get in to it straight away but enough to keep going. once i had understood what it was about it was really good
Published 17 months ago by m a johnson

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing piece of fiction, 5 Jan 2013
This review is from: Forever After (a dark fantasy comedy) (Kindle Edition)
I have read the two other books by David Jester and thoroughly enjoyed both. I was not ready for what i was about to read and my god what an amazing surprise and change in direction. Dark as a pot hole and funny in side splitting way. If I was to describe this by comparison to another author it would have to be Douglas Adams in the unique way this fantasy is written. If you liked anything by Douglas Adams you are in for a real treat here. It provides all you need in a fantasy book uniqueness and seeing the world through new eyes. Its will remain one of the books i will return to read over and over again. I read it all night and kept turning page after page when i should have been turning the light off.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 1 Jan 2013
This review is from: Forever After (a dark fantasy comedy) (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this book and thought it to be a groundbreaking piece of fiction that sets the precedent for uncompromising, witty thrillers. The author narrates beautifully and very artfully tells the story of a complex central character, Michael, who does the right things for what he believes are the right reasons.

I loved the way author brings characters crisply to life by giving them great dialogues, with vivid description of the environment and ambience, all of which intensifies the drama that unfolds with each turn of the page. With a tantalising plot line, this four part story is guaranteed to entertain everyone. The book also has a snippet from author's other book, which is bound to be equally entertaining (so I'm off to purchase that next).

As for this book and to summarise - it is a compelling and imaginative mix of paranormal and witty plot, written with verve and style which makes the book a must read. Recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars enjoyable, 27 Feb 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Forever After - A brilliantly grim comedy, 16 Jan 2013
This review is from: Forever After (a dark fantasy comedy) (Kindle Edition)
Forever After comprises of a surreal protagonist in which the reader gets the opportunity to follow round `Grim' himself. Having grown up with similar plot lines, such as the Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy and other such television and also enjoying this sort of genre, I found this an absolute delight to read.
I will definitely be buying more of these novels as the author creates a believable atmosphere of reality within this piece of fantasy, through the use of black comedy. His comedic timing is impeccable and I found myself rationing this book.

Full Five out of Five!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Hit!, 10 Jan 2013
This review is from: Forever After (a dark fantasy comedy) (Kindle Edition)
I loved the last release by the author (An Idiot in Love) so I didn't waste time in buying this as soon as I saw it.

There was so much more in this that I loved. The story was darker, but in a good way. It draws you into the bitter mind of the protagonist and lures you into his filthy and intriguing world. There is a lot of humour as well, most of which comes from his disgusting friend Chip, a nasty little fiend who works as a tooth fairy and smokes dope all day.

As much as I loved the last one, this was better. For any fans of An idiot in Love, or any Fantasy or Humour for that matter, you'll love this.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read, 9 Jan 2013
This review is from: Forever After (a dark fantasy comedy) (Kindle Edition)
This is another brilliant novel by someone who will surely be, and one sincerely hopes so, the breakthrough writer of 2013. In Forever After, the author shows us his darkly humourous, fantastically creative and uniquely visionary side. The characters are developed very well, the scene setting so vivid you can't help but be transported right next to the characters and the story is fast and never dwindles, you'll soon find yourself half way through the book without knowing it. Three books now I've read by this author, all absolute crackers and each so diverse it just shows what a talented writer David is. I'm looking forward to many more!

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 5 Jan 2013
This review is from: Forever After (a dark fantasy comedy) (Kindle Edition)
The plot is amazing. The characters feel so real. The comedy is side splitting. A few spelling mistakes or repetition of words e.g. and and i said. Other that, an outstanding book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely worth a read, 29 Dec 2012
This review is from: Forever After (a dark fantasy comedy) (Kindle Edition)
I love comedy and really appreciate a good fantasy. This is excellent on both fronts! Its well written with a great depth and loveable characters. It has an excellent plot (running through 4 separate stories) that doesn't hold back and a great splash of humor throughout.

3.0 out of 5 stars entertaining and enjoyable, 8 May 2014
This review is from: Forever After (a dark fantasy comedy) (Kindle Edition)
A very different take on reapers, Forever After is an entertaining read.

I grew to love Michael, and his friends. I loved the different take on the tooth fairy too, how unique.

Michael is a reaper. In this world, being a reaper is a job title, and there are many reapers too. They each have a device which gives them brief information on the spirits they're responsible for collecting and passing on to their final destinations after death. They are paid for doing this too, though Michael doesn't earn much as he's on the bottom rung of the reaping society, there are others who are more succesful and can earn more.

This is one of those books that I looked forward to reading more of come bedtime. It's so easy to read, and written very much in the way that I'd usually speak. I suspect that being because the author is from a local area.

There were errors in the book (I only mention to weigh up the pros and cons so to speak), but as I always say, for me, the story is much more important. I take my joy from the images an author can conjure up in my mind and David Jester was definitely able to do that with this book.

The characters get up to all sorts in Forever After. I don't want to mention any of it as I think it'd spoil the reading experience for anyone who might stumble across this review. Just be prepared to meet some quirky, comical characters within the pages, and discover a new take on the afterlife, its inhabitants and its goings on.

There is also a lot of swearing and adult language, so I wouldn't recommend this for anyone who is easily offended by that, or younger readers. I'm personally not bothered by it, I found it enjoyable and it only added to the characters' realism for me. I thought it helped to not only bring them to life or show a characters depth of emotions, it just came across to me as how many people speak nowadays. It made it seem moree realistic.

I'm now about to head to Amazon and hopefully find the next book. I look forward to reading more from this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jester does it again, 31 Mar 2014
This review is from: Forever After (a dark fantasy comedy) (Kindle Edition)
I've become quite a fan of David Jester and this book confirms my belief in his talent.
The book follows the trials and tribulations of a reaper, who roams the slums picking up souls and delivering them to the after world.
The book is more like collection of connected short stories rather than a "proper" novel, but don't let that put you off. This is amongst the most original ideas I've read in ages.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›