4.0 out of 5 stars A good read
James Lear is an excellent storyteller whose heroes are always flawed. I would have liked the story to have been a little more fleshed out and I admit to missing the usual plethora of sexual encounters that are normally enjoyed by a Lear hero, but I enjoyed the story nonetheless and assume there will be another Dan Stagg novel in due course.
Published 15 months ago by Sweet Honey

3.0 out of 5 stars The Hardest Thing
Mmm! It was good but I prefer Mitch Mitchell mysteries,but that doesn't mean I won't be meeting Dan Staff again!
Published 5 months ago by Mark Lupton-Emsley

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 24 July 2013
This review is from: The Hardest Thing: A Dan Stagg Mystery (Kindle Edition)

4.0 out of 5 stars Sexy adventure and adventurous sex., 7 Sep 2013
Rupert Smith, writing as James Lear, has always been a genius of the ultra-sexy gay adventure, usually with tongue firmly in cheek (literally as well as metaphorically). In his new book, there is plenty of suspense and adventure and lots of great gay sex. It is a jock-strap-ripping page-turner and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It lacks, though, quite the spark of originality of his earlier books and I missed the humour. Dan Stagg is a hard (permanently) hero with a warm heart but he's hardly a fun guy. Let's hope he lightens up a bit in the sequels which I hope will follow and that some of that quirky humour returns.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Hardest Thing, 8 May 2014
This review is from: The Hardest Thing: A Dan Stagg Mystery (Kindle Edition)

3.0 out of 5 stars The hardest thing, 11 Aug 2013
Clare O'Beara - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Dan Stagg is a morose, friendless tough guy working club doors in New York for a few bucks. He used to be a Marine but had to leave when the fact that he was gay emerged. After losing his job an Italian man offers him a good fee for minding a wealthy man's secretary; while he's dubious about the legality of the matter he needs the money. A Glock is supplied and instructions to take the individual out of town. Stagg isn't nearly suspicious enough.

Stagg manages to get Stirling McMahon out of NY without any worse than a bruised arm. He's a pampered, sulking brat without respect for his close protection worker. But in rural White Mountains inns, the young man soon reveals himself as gay, so cue a lot of activity. Stirling was paid to pretend to be secretary to a real-estate developer and accompany him to weekend conferences. Someone with an unspecified grudge threatened the man's family and Stirling too. Or did they really? Stagg is already suspicious, and when a man tries to shoot them in their motel room it's clear that Stirling's boss now wants rid of the young man and has set Stagg up to take the blame.

I was surprised both that every man in the state appears to be gay, if closeted, and that fugitives would take so much time to indulge. There are many completely gratuitous scenes. As in many gay-themed novels we meet no credible women or, indeed, women. There is plenty of action and second-guessing to keep serious readers interested but Stagg isn't very intelligent, depending on his training and nothing else, so strong language and violence are foremost.

3.0 out of 5 stars mixed feelings about this, 6 Sep 2013
Jeannie Zelos "jeanie zelos book reviews" (uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
The Hardest Thing (Dan Stagg Mystery) James Lear

ARC provided by publishers.

I've never read any of James books before so wasn't sure of what style of writing he'd have. I found this book was romance - which I love - crossed with thriller - which I'm not so keen on. Still, the thriller element was taut, and wasn't full of over used descriptions of guns, action and personnel which so often puts me off. James manages to convey action without having to go on and on about it - a few closely written pages and I was in the scene. I liked Dan right from the start, slightly morose and introspective but when we learned about his background, rose to ranks of Major and then kicked out for his sexuality it's not surprising he was bitter about events. He'd lost his lover too, to a sniper and yet because of Service policies wasn't allowed to grieve openly or be involved in the funeral. I find that sort of discrimination extraordinary, and even though policies have been changed I'm sure the same situations are still around :(
Anyway - Dan short on cash, and accepts a job that sounds straightforward, taking a person under threat to somewhere else. He's sharp, he knows there's more going on that he's told but thinks he can stay ahead and earn some much needed cash. Then he meets his charge Stirling, who's young and very Hot! Dan and he get off to a shaky start, with Stirling being an out and out brat. Closeted together though while on their journey Dan soon learns Stirling is gay, and they become much more close....they have various mishaps, and meet an extraordinary range of characters, many of who very conveniently are gay, and incredibly throughout the book I don't think we ever get to meet a woman!
There's deceptions, double dealing and danger, towards the end both Stirling and Dan are captured, and risk losing their lives. Dan finds out things about Stirling that go far further than the doubts he had about him, and make him wonder if he is the right person for the picket fence and dogs scenario that he desperately wants. Someone close, to love and hold, someone of his own to spend a future with. He thought maybe Stirling was that person and then....well, its a sad part - and I like those, so long as they end well :)
I enjoyed much of the book, the way that Dan and Stirling grew together, I felt for Dan but TBH Stirling was always a selfish brat to me - still if he keeps Dan happy...I followed the action fine, as I said sometimes thrillers get so bogged down in detail that I just mentally switch off, but this kept me just in the right side. I did have a problem with the fact that so many of the people they met were conveniently gay- I'm sure that is stretching credibility too far, and also the way they were so ready to drop everything - literally :) - and have sex any time, any place, anywhere. I guess to me romance equates to one person relationships and sex...and found it difficult to accept they would happily have sex with others together and separately. Then when Dan was searching for Sterling, the love of his life...he was happy top have sex with someone else many times. That part really spoiled the romance for me, took out the deep emotions I thought would have stopped that happening. At least there were condoms used every time! I read a book recently were the men were partner swapping, not knowing some of them and not using protection, I think in this day that's just a wrong message so I was glad at least it was promoted here.
It's priced at £8.23 for 288 pages/405kb so quite expensive even given that gay fiction seems to command a higher price than other genres. If you're a gay fiction devotee you may think it worth while if this is the sort of novel to appeal and to rer read. Its not one for my keeper files though.
Stars: three and a half. Parts I enjoyed, parts I didn't :(