5.0 out of 5 stars trancendental
What a fantastic way to start 2013 with a state of trance 2013 been excited about this album for weeks now its arrived love it. Been listening to avb for years and never fails to disappoint me. AVB deffo deserves his number 1 slot.
Published 21 months ago by Mr. I. W. Elliott

2.0 out of 5 stars WHY WHY WHY?!
I hate to sound like a broken record (although I don't as much as some of the tracks on ASoT 2013), but what is with this modern obsession with pitchbends? They sound atrocious and, although perhaps not as prevalent as on other recent compilations, they still crop up too often for my liking, particularly on CD2.
I can't criticise an album purely for this, but...
Published 20 months ago by Alan

2.0 out of 5 stars WHY WHY WHY?!, 19 April 2013
Alan "carrd2" (Stafford, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A State Of Trance 2013 - Mi (Audio CD)
I can't criticise an album purely for this, but unfortunately in my opinion it has many other faults. I'm really surprised at the positivity around this album; maybe it's my fault for comparing it to previous ASoT's, especially 2005 and 2006 which were stunning. The majority of tracks on this album are much rougher and harsher than those on previous albums, and many of them, especially CD2, sounds broadly the same. They have those rough synth sounds and layers that resemble some sort of crazy classical song. The smooth blending synths and complex, fascinating and catchy keys simply don't exist on this album compared to previous efforts, in my opinion. I had to listen to most of CD2 with the volume really low.
Who am I to judge Armin VB? He must know what people are enjoying listening to at the moment, surely? I must just prefer the older stuff, but to me, it's so much better. This is a lot harsher and more difficult to appreciate for me.
I suppose one positive is that, unlike many trance albums that aren't trance these days, this IS trance... it's just not as good as the older stuff, far from it. And it's not as if all of 'new trance' songs sound like this, there are still some quality albums with what I call 'proper,' 'thoughtful' or 'smooth' trance out there - the more melodic stuff I suppose (but not cheesy).
There are a few good tracks on here. CD1 is better than 2 in my opinion, and I particularly like Lullaby Lonely and Eterna, and there are a couple of others that are half decent too.
But for those of you - perhaps the minority? - who prefer less severe trance music, try the new Solarstone stuff and give 'Moments in the Sun Volume 1' by the Unearthed label a try. The latter isn't perfect but certainly more my style.
I suppose, as I've said before, Armin is only offering the 'State' that he sees trance to be in for each year. But if this is anything to go by, it's not in a very good state at the moment.

In my opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars trancendental, 6 Mar 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Thankfully Armada still publishes decent tunes., 8 Mar 2013
Mr. A. Maclarty "Andy MacLarty" (Oxfordshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A State Of Trance 2013 - Mi (Audio CD)
Consistently excellent, good choice of tunes, cheeky mixes - classic Armada formula for arms-in-the-air happy faces.

*Always buy the CD, the collection looks good on the shelf once you've ripped it to iTunes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Looking good..., 7 Mar 2013
Cheshire Dave (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: A State Of Trance 2013 - Mi (Audio CD)
As there's only one review at the moment...

I just whizzed through this on Spotify Free (rather than Spotify Fee) - 2 hours in 10 minutes - and it's looking pretty good for mainstream(isn) melodic trance now that AABeyond have as good as left the genre.

Lots of decent melodies aka tunes, lots of quiet bits followed by euphoric bits, lots of synths, and quite a lot of lady-vocals - the best kind, apart from the lady singing 5 keys too high for her. So I wouldn't hesitate too much if you're an AVB fan anyway and thinking of buying it, or just a quality melodic trance enthusiast. There are quite a few dirty bass bits, too, for those addicted-to-bass, er, addicts. Hope that helps until some more thorough reviews arrive. I'll try to remember to add to this when I've heard it in more detail.

5.0 out of 5 stars ASOT 2013, 8 April 2013
Mr. J. S. Darbyshire "Music Lover" (Wigan, Lancashire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A State Of Trance 2013 - Mi (Audio CD)
Well it was worth the wait Armin !!! CD 1 Track 6 Julie Thompson Made For You great vocal performance by her. Track 9 Cate Kanell Shelter Me again another one to look out for. Track 12 Jalon Villanaranjos nice balearic guitar sound. Track 14 Fiora Waiting For The Night another coming beautiful vocalist. Track 16 Clare Stagg Jewel a epic summer tune hopefully.

CD 2 Track 1 Alexander Popov Lost Language nice riff and melody run through out the song. Track 5 Alex Morph New York City good to see him bounce back with a belter of a tune. Track 6 Ayda Caesar another nice sound. Track 9 Rank 1 vs M.I.K.E (Push) Elements Of Nature. Good track by these people. Track 10 Andrew Rayel Musa operatic sound through out this track.

Pretty hard not to smile when listening to this CD turn it up !!!

4.0 out of 5 stars More of the same!, 12 Nov 2013
This review is from: A State Of Trance 2013 - Mi (Audio CD)
Thank you, it was just perfect. ASOT2013 did exactly what it said on the box and I absolutely loved it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another blast from armin, 8 Nov 2013
This review is from: A State Of Trance 2013 - Mi (Audio CD)
He continues to put out high quality trance music its this consistency which keeps me coming back... and back again

5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime, 28 July 2013
M. J. Gauckwin (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A State Of Trance 2013 - Mi (Audio CD)
Takes you on a special journey this one. Don't wanna sound cheesy but you will get lost in this for hours. not one bad track.... and the more you listen to it the more you will love it. good work Armin.

4.0 out of 5 stars a state of trance 2013, 12 May 2013
This review is from: A State Of Trance 2013 - Mi (Audio CD)
great dance cd by one of the best dj"s around,love the variation of different dance songs.usually play this at the weekends after a busy week at work to help me unwind

5.0 out of 5 stars lovin it, 12 April 2013
This review is from: A State Of Trance 2013 - Mi (Audio CD)
Armin Van Buuren has done it again, Hard to choose favourite track. Wicked. Can't wait for his new album. Excellent.

A State Of Trance 2013 - Mi
A State Of Trance 2013 - Mi by Various Artists (Audio CD - 2013)