on 27 August 2014
NAS storage seemed to cause frequent drop outs on the 2.4GHz band. Data throughput fluctuated like mad when I tested it. Rather disappointing.

My advice would be to wait longer for more AC products (or better yet AD 5Ghz+) and get a more substantial, reliable product. My TP-Link WR1043ND blows this thing out of the water.

Sent this back, still using my old TP-Link router which is infinitely better.

If a unit cannot work as described out of the box and fails to work appropriately on the stock firmware, then it's better off going back. I only do firmware flashes if it fixes uncommon bugs that doesn't impact general, basic use, or further improves a device with extra improvements/features.
on 29 January 2014
I had an old and pretty much unheard of Tenda router that was 7 years old and had lost it's range a little. After reading the great reviews I bought this TP-Link TL-WDR4900 N900. The signal has been poor from the word go. I've tried playing with the settings, getting it to broadcast on just the 2.4GHz, hoping the range will improve. At times the range is great but for a brand new item it looses signal strength too often and sometimes, just for a few seconds it loses it's signal completely. As the signal has never been completely lost on my main pc(the one I set the TP-LInk up on) I may try manually adding all of my other devices or returning the router for a replacement, incase it's just a faulty one I've received.

Update
Before I got around to having a go at playing with settings etcetera to try improving things, it's now stopped cutting out completely.

Update
Signal still is lost completely at times on a couple of devices. Not found a resolution yet.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Having used some of TP-Link's older hardware that is a bit more primitive in appearance, this model is much more sleek and sophisticated. Some might argue it's a bit on the large side, but in reality, it accommodates a full suite of 4x gigabit LAN ports and a gigabit WAN port, plus 2x USB 2.0 ports as well as the triple external antenna array and concealed triple internal array.

Typically labelled as a "Cable Router", the same rules apply in that this is simply a Router which has no in-built modem, so you are quite at liberty to use high speed non-"cable" (ie. ADSL, Fiber, Satellite etc.) broadband with this device if you choose, provided you have a separate modem for whatever your flavour of broadband and are feeding it the broadband signal via the gigabit WAN port.

The two headline specifications for this product are the 4x gigabit LAN ports combined with the high speed (450+450) dual-band wireless network. For the uninitiated, this translates to being able to move data around your network at high speed not just on hard-wired devices, but also on compatible wireless devices that can take advantage of the 5Ghz wi-fi band. As high-speed internet is becoming wider-spread, speeds of over 100Mbps would not be appreciated if you were using networking hardware that maxed out at 100Mbps (ie. non-gigabit LAN ports and non-high-speed wireless). The wireless system here supports up to 450Mbps on the 2.4Ghz band, and a second simultaneous 450Mbps on the 5Ghz band. People who store and stream High Definition movies in their homes can benefit from being able to get simultaneous distribution of content without hitting the barriers that non-high-speed networking equipment would struggle with.

The 4900 is the top model in this particular range, which pushes for 900Mbps WAN-to-LAN throughput, beating the lesser models which only list as supporting 800Mbps WAN-to-LAN throughput.

Set-up is relatively straight-forward. As always, take a steady approach and you'll get there. There are no major issues that I could ascertain.

The only potential black mark you could throw at this product is the use of USB 2.0 not USB 3.0, which would have allowed connection of high-speed USB 3.0 peripherals.

There are a couple of other competitors in this price-band, but you have to be specifically wanting the full 450+450 wireless performance to warrant spending this kind of money on a wireless gigabit router, else you could save yourself some dough and opt for a 450+300 model which might not offer quite as strong wireless performance but would save you some money.
on 15 April 2014
I have been using the standard wireless router from virgin media, this however does not have a usb port to allow connection of devices such as printers, usb sticks etc. I have not used this function yet but intend to shortly. The router is easy to setup if you are familiar with the web interface on today's devices everything was straightforward. The wireless range is very good, although I did have to reset my network up with the TV.

My only criticism would be the small amount of port forwarding entries that can be made (16), so if you are into running game servers this could be challenging there are workarounds to this limitation, but in this day and age the number of port forwarding entries should be more like 50.

All in all, its a capable mid range cable router that offers more features than the free offerings from the ISP's.
on 6 May 2013
According the reviews and price i expected a powerfull wifi router but unfortunately in my case it didnt satisfied me...at all.Wifi signal is not strong enough and in first floor of my house have no connection..!
on 11 August 2013
Like everyone else I spend ages thinking this one over. The price was too good to believe compared to the other products on the market. Anyway I bought it and haven't looked back. Don't know what other reviewer were talking about but I have had it on for 4 months and have only had to restart it went virgin back up because of the "hot weather".
on 25 February 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is quite easy to set up, which is always a plus. Disconnect your original devices, wire this up, pop in the installation disc and you're away (if the cable modem you have from your provider is a wireless router also, it is probably wise to switch off the wireless broadcast!)

The advantage of this router is that you can broadcast over a 2.4GHz band and 5GHz at the same time. I've looked up the specs and it appears that this is handled by two separate chips, which is nice. One band can be used for things like web browsing and so forth, while the 5GHz is better for gaming and HD streaming.

There are also two USB sockets at the back, which you can use for FTP, sharing media over your network and sharing printers (though Windows does make the latter exceptionally easy anyway, so I haven't bothered altering my set up there).

It is quite expensive, but if you are in the market for a wireless router, it's worthwhile.
on 16 September 2014
A very good router, easy set up from a laptop follow on screen instructions from supplied CD. I have used my Virgin router as a modem and now use the dual WiFi band (2.4 and 5.0) for phones and tablets. This router has other features which l am not using as l don't need them but a nice looking unit and works without issue. Recommend you check the specification to ensure its right for your use.
on 30 April 2013
I like this router but the jury is still out. I have read some horror stories that befell other users and I pray I don't suffer a similar fate!

Pros: Simple to setup, excellent wireless coverage and increased speed.
Cons: It needs a lot of rebooting if you make changes and it's slow doing it!

I immediately noticed an improvement in my signal strength using InSSIDer and the throughput was also better than my now dead Draytek 2820n. I couldn't justify the new 2830n as my current requirements are well below the plethora of functions offered on that router. We live in an area where there are lots of wi-fi users so channel overlap was an issue. With this dual band I have found far less dropouts and so overall I am pleased.

It loses one star because the need to keep rebooting is annoying!
on 3 June 2013
The additional features it comes it s great bonus for this item. Also the price it is advertised is amazing in comparison with like to like router. However, I feel as though the range is not as strong as I thought it would be. I have some drop spots in my house and I assumed that with this router this should solve this issue. It pretty much covers the same area as what an free ordinary router provided by your internet service provider.

All in all, for the price I reckon it is still a good item to have.