‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Of Chocolate and Ghosts and Talking Cats, 13 Mar 2012
The Wolf (uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Kate Saunders' tale of supernatural shenanigans in and around
an old inherited chocolate shop is a cracking read for seven
to (maybe just) twelve year olds with a sense of imagination and
adventure. Brother and sister Oz and Lily get themselves embroiled
in a sequence of events in which past ancestral iniquities get
tangled up in the present with mildly frightening but nonetheless
exciting consequences for the siblings, a young male witch called Caydon
and an immortal and narcissistically self-righteous talking cat named
Demerara (Spike the rat is another grubbily amusing ancillary character
who I will admit to having grown rather fold of too!) Their mission to
retrieve a magical chocolate mould obtained in less than wholesome
circumstances by ghostly Great-Great-Uncle Isadore provides a sprightly
narrative backdrop for our intrepid young investigators and "all's
well that ends well" is the order of the day (as indeed it should be
in a story for young readers). The humour is pitched just right and
the scary bits correctly judged so as not to induce sleepless nights!

Ms Saunders writes in short bites with language which is light and fun
but not condescending to her target audience. It reads very well out loud.

Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping, hilarious and exciting!, 29 Feb 2012
My 7 year old was completely captivated by this book and is now reading it again. He (and I) loved the adventure and the humour, especially Demerara the cat - my son thought her cat makeovers were the funniest thing ever! He says that he can't wait to see the film (so I hope someone's planning to make it). We've read all of the children's books by Kate Saunders and have loved every one of them. One of the great things about this book is that it is equally appealing to boys and girls (and grown-ups).

5.0 out of 5 stars Super story, 25 Feb 2012
Sue C. (Bucks) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Kate Saunders has written a very imaginative, interesting story which moves at a good pace. The level of language is ideally suited to age 8+ with quite a 'grown up' feel to it. I got this book for a friend's daughter, who is a very bright 7 year old and I think she will enjoy it greatly. Really good book!

5.0 out of 5 stars An Immediate Hit, 24 Feb 2012
I spotted this book in Waterstones,bought it and read it in a matter of days.A great read-fine for adults and kids alike,with its easy narrative and jolly,magical storyline,which flows along the page and warmly engages the reader.

Sharp,observant and witty,this tale rings true to all ages.

Kate Saunders' best children's book so far.

Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining Stuff, 17 Jun 2012
My nine year old Emily read this in around 4 sittings - not bad as there are 290 pages - she was totally captivated by the story line and characters.
She has ordered me to the library tomorrow to get more books by Kate Saunders

5.0 out of 5 stars Chocolate, magic, cats and a happy 8 year old, 23 Mar 2012
J.R.Hartley (NW England) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Having become exhausted of reading the increasingly predictable adventures of the Famous Five and (for me) the increasingly tedious tales of Harry Potter (I'm sorry, but I really can't warm to him) I insisted that we read this book at bedtime as it looked a bit different and I liked the sound of it. The urchin was not happy about this as she wanted more of the usual stuff, but after the first reading session she was hooked and she absolutely loved it. So much so, getting her to go to bed was particularly easy as she knew she'd be getting more of the book and by near the end she was asking to go to bed a bit earlier so that we had more reading time. For me that meant more time to myself later on, but the best thing was it also got her to read more for herself than most books do. Oh, and I enjoyed the story too so a winner all round. We've subsequently let others borrow the book and everyone else seems to love it too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Chocolate, spies and magic, 20 Mar 2012
JoMaynard (UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The story of twins Lily and Oz whose family suddenly inherit a chocolate shop.
But is no ordinary chocolate shop, it's a magic one, complete with a talking cat. What's more there are spies, a new friend across the road, an evil (or is he) great uncle, and so on. My only criticism is why does everyone have to introduce a dyslexic child with special powers, my dyslexic child finds this annoying as he doesn't think he's going to suddenly wake up being magical or a super hero.
My eight year old didn't enjoy it that much, and it didn't manage to keep her engrossed. However I am sure other children will love this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars magic, fun and excitement, 27 Feb 2013
Champak "Hundalz" (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
At beginning it sounded like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory but then some spooks and James Bond stuff got involved which most children love it. There are plenty of magic, secrets and excitement moments in this story that made my daughter really happy that asks me to read it again and again for her. Demerara is her favorite. Kate Saunders created a nice magic story with lots of fun for the children.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun but not quite what it promises, 2 Oct 2012
This book has a slightly misleading cover/title and blurb which lead one to expect a Willy Wonka kind of experience, but in fact the book is more Alex Rider with a relatively small does of added magic. There IS a magic chocolate shop, but it's a rather low-key presence in a story mostly about kids being recruited for MI5 type James Bond shenanigans with a talking cat as an intelligence operative, and a baddy who wants to take over the world in cahoots with a terrorist gang. The magic bits are not very developed - they could just as easily be James Bond techno-whizardry - and the denouement (after quite a long-drawn-out middle)is a bit saccharine. Having said that, my daughter enjoyed the book, and loved the talking cat.

5.0 out of 5 stars the whizz pop chocolate shop, 16 July 2012
This book was a fun,chocolatey and adventurous story.It really inspired me and also was a fantastic book for me to read. This book was so much fun, I wanted to read it again.This is my favourite book ever in the whole wide world and you should read it too.I am reading this book as part of the story lab competition.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›