4.0 out of 5 stars Freaked me right out but WOW
Published 23 months ago by naomi haggett

2.0 out of 5 stars Confusing
Although the first few pages showed promise, the rest of the book was unfortunately disjointed and disappointing. There were also so many spelling and grammatical errors that I found it impossible to enjoy.
Published 20 months ago by Schneewittchen

4.0 out of 5 stars Freaked me right out but WOW, 18 May 2013
This review is from: 314 (Widowsfield Trilogy) (Kindle Edition)
Is it weird that I almost kacked myself reading this? I mean I really liked it, it was interesting and had me needing to know everything but OMG it was creepy. Alma is a normal 24yr old music teacher with an on again/off again boyfriend and a sorry childhood or at least she would be normal if it weren't for the seriously strange paranormal disappearance of her brother and every other resident of a town she had visited 16 years before.
The story built well giving you glimpses of the horrors in the town alongside the present day storyline. I felt like I was riding into hell along with the characters and although in hindsight I should have seen the end before it happened I didn't and actually had a little WTF moment where I flipped back and read the last few pages again to make sure I got it right.
I assume there will be a follow on because I would like to know the how/why/what/where's??? but I do know that I won't forget this one in a hurry which, in my mind, is the mark of a good story. This was my first brush with this author but off the back of this read I'll definately be searching out more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Edge of your seat book, 19 Jun. 2013
This review is from: 314 (Widowsfield Trilogy) (Kindle Edition)
This book raises your blood pressure to start with, your adrenaline flows madly and by the time you're partway through your nerves are shot! Keep on writing Mr Wise!

5.0 out of 5 stars gripping read, 19 Jun. 2013
This review is from: 314 (Widowsfield Trilogy) (Kindle Edition)
Gripping read real page turner.I just couldn't put it down. characters really interesting with in depth description and backgrounds. really enjoyed this book

2.0 out of 5 stars Confusing, 31 Aug. 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Omg, 30 April 2013
This review is from: 314 (Widowsfield Trilogy) (Kindle Edition)
Oh my God this is the best fantasy horror I have ever read I need the next one. Seriously people read this book. There are typos in the book but if you just ignore them you will be addicted to this book.

2.0 out of 5 stars not for me, 30 Jun. 2013
This review is from: 314 (Widowsfield Trilogy) (Kindle Edition)
I enjoy the horror genre, and it got off to a good start, enjoyed part one, but the middle was way to 'chick-lit' for my liking, and the word 'anyhow' was used WAY TO MUCH! Disappointing end in my opinion, but i guess all will be concluded in the next book... which i will not be buying. Just not for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Feels like a movie, 16 Aug. 2014
This review is from: 314 (Unabridged) (Audio Download)
Feels like a movie...

In a good way; that ebb and flow that at times turns into a torrent.

What some others have referred to as disjointed is one of the reasons why this book is so good, you can't help but be absorbed by the story, wondering what the heck is going to happen next. If these books (and if I'm honest, this is something I secretly would love) were to be adapted for Movie/TV, the attention to detail is such that there would be practically no need for a director. The scene is so well painted that rather than leaving nothing to the imagination, it almost has the opposite effect. I generally read on my commute on the train, roughly 45 minutes per leg of the journey and there has been times I've been that drawn in that I've barely had another thought cross my mind.

In terms of characters (and the same applies for the Deadlocked series in my opinion) feel like they belong. There doesn't seem to be that sense of convenience that you so often get in stories like this, like when you feel something's gotta give and then lo and behold, up pops somebody new to do exactly what's required. These books don't seem to bend the characters to fit the plot. Example being the driver of the van. It's as if the story was written backwards or retrospectively, i.e. their story is being told because of who they are rather than them being there to fit the story.

It is quite gory in parts and can be repetitive in those descriptions but again, that feeds into the sense of insanity as well as the fact that it reinforces the idea of many characters having the same experiences.

In all honesty, come the end I felt like you could easily draw a line and let that be the end of it, like a door slamming shut to be locked and never opened again, but then you realise there's still a flicker of light creeping out of the gap beneath it....

Currently halfway through book 2, I just had to see what that light was ;)

2.0 out of 5 stars Confused, 12 Sept. 2013
This review is from: 314 (Widowsfield Trilogy) (Kindle Edition)
Plot line upon plot line upon plot line. Some interesting set-piece scenes but overall an adders nest of half-baked horror. Wonderful imagination, poorly realised on the page.

2.0 out of 5 stars dissappointing, 15 July 2014
This review is from: 314 (Widowsfield Trilogy) (Kindle Edition)
I was tempted to abandon the book a few times as the style of writing and gory descriptions aren't really my thing, but I stuck with it in the hope that it would improve. It didnt. The investigative/present day sections were far better than the 1996 flashbacks (which I found a bit silly and confusing) but even those meandered off at a tangent at times. The characters were pretty on dimensional which for me is forgivable in this genre, but the dialogue was so poor (and a bit daft) at times that it started to get in the way of the story. The action was a but random too - for example, Jacker and Aubrey getting it on in the midst of the supposed denouement? I don't think so. Whilst I am a real fan of the supernatural genre I do want to be able to recognise the characters as real people having real conversations. This book wasn't for me and I wont be buying the second book to find out what happened.

4.0 out of 5 stars Genuinely creepy, 7 Oct. 2014
This review is from: 314 (Widowsfield Trilogy) (Kindle Edition)
ever since reading the deadlocked series I have keen to read more from this author and look forward to the next book in the trilogy.

the story is brilliant with great identifiable characters who you genuinely get to care about and the horror and mystery well if I had to compare the story to anything it has a very silent hill feel about it with the mysterious town with a tragic history and the fog with its hidden horrors but also really reminded of the children of the corn and this combination of innocence lost with the horror within and having to face one's own personal demons really worked for me and hats off to really bringing the skeleton man to life always never did like the sound of chattering teeth and could not help but make the noise myself everyone time out it was written and he drew near

314 (Widowsfield Trilogy)