on 25 April 2013
I read the first Romney and Marsh novel and was a little underwhelmed, particularly by the characterisation of the two leads. I vowed to give them another go and am very glad that I did.

This book is a vast improvement - cracking plot, fast-moving, loads of suspects, twists, and a surprise ending.

The story begins with a body being found on the local golf course. The victim soon emerges as the unscrupulous, unlikeable, unfaithful Captain of the Club. This ensures plenty of suspects and motives and leads to a well-written and attention-holding tale. There is a great subplot involving Marsh and another DS, elements of which made me laugh and gasp in equal measure. I read it in 2 sittings.

One of my main issues with the first book was my dislike of Romney. The author and I have discussed this and I must admit to finding him a little less annoying in this book - possibly helped by a plotline near the end which I won't reveal. Don't get me wrong, Romney is still spiteful, pompous, arrogant and misanthropic (is there anybody he DOES like?! - even his girlfriend seems to be admired purely for her bedroom skills). I think I am learning to take him less seriously - having started book 3 where he is particularly grouchy and unpleasant, this is probably the best tack to take.

Anyway. I loved this and am hoping that Mr. Tidy writes many more.
2020 comments|13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 January 2013
This book follows on the series of Romney and Marsh detective stories that began with Rope Enough. This one is another great piece that rattles along throwing up more red herrings than a Billingsgate fishmonger. The characters are well developed and likeable and the plot well driven with lots of unexpected twists and turns. With the exception of a few minor editing omissions, the piece is well written and deserves wider readership.

I cannot wait for the next title in the series.
on 1 May 2013
I wrote this review for book one of the Romney and Marsh series but having got half way through this second book I am not disappointed! Re: Enough Rope - Just finished this book and loved it! What a great find. I actually discovered it while aimlessly browsing the Kindle store and decided to look for novels set in Kent and straight away the notion of a DI Romney and a DS Marsh tickled me, so I just had to try it. The story kept me gripped and I found myself looking forward to the daily commute so that I could get stuck in! I am a big fan of Peter James, Mark Billingham, Peter Robinson and now Oliver Tidy makes four! I would recommend to anyone who enjoys not only a good police procedural but in the style of the aforementioned `big guns' likes to get involved in the back story of the main protagonist. I am already half way through the second book in the series and the characters are already becoming real and more fleshed out. I can see DI Romney being another Inspector Banks and I just hope Oliver Tidy has the stamina that Peter Robinson has to keep `em coming! Anyway I can't wait to get hold of the next book in the series and from the reviews I've already read I won't be disappointed. Thank you for Romney and Marsh, long may they continue.
on 21 April 2013
This is the second Romney and Marsh Files.I thoroughly enjoyed the first book and this second one didn't disappoint.Again Well Done Oliver Tidy.Just about to start the third book ,so please hurry up with the fourth !!!
on 18 April 2013
Loving this author and his style of writing. especially like the working relationship between the two main characters. Twists and turns keep the reader interested and wanting more. This is second book read out of trio. Excited about starting third. if you are a phsycological thriller junkie you willl enjoy these books.
on 8 May 2013
Another great crime story. In my view this book even better than Rope Enough - which was excellent. There is a bit more character development and Dover continues to sound just as sleazy.

It is a stand alone story of murder with various sub plots and twists. Therefore it is not necessary to have read the first in the Romney Marsh series to enjoy this book.

Martin
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 29 October 2013
A good police procedural novel by a new author to me with two leading characters who act and speak realistically and a page turning plot. Enjoyed the read but spoiled by the ending. Can't say how without giving too much away but one of the pleasures of this type of book is the reader trying to find clues and work out the culprit - impossible when said culprit doesn't even appear in the book till a few pages from the end. You'll understand if you read it - which I still recommend as I'll definately be downloading more Oliver Tidy books.
on 20 April 2013
A quick paced (where appropriate) tale of mis-deeds in Dover that engages all the way. Female character development a little thin, main and other males move rounded, satisfying quirks at the end. Keep a look out for the author.
on 4 July 2013
Second book in the series didn't disappoint :) I find myself liking the main characters more and more. I enjoy the humour, which I have not really experienced in detective books before. This one certainly had a well woven plot. The 'nasty cop' made an interesting side plot, I was ready to slap him myself at one point, but had to feel sorry for him when he met his undignified downfall.I am going to save book 3 for my holidays in a few weeks as I always find it difficult to get into a new book on the plane, but it should be easy with characters I am already familiar with. (Or should that be "characters with whom I am already familiar"? - I notice some people on here are a bit funny about grammar!)
on 15 November 2013
I liked the first book, Rope Enough, and I enjoyed this one even more. I will certainly be re-reading it at some time in the future, which I cannot say for a lot of books I've read recently - Kindle or "real" books.
A body is found on a golf course, followed by 6 more deaths throughout the book (not always murder victims!). I didn't have to "skim read" this book as it kept my attention and was fast paced - no padding, etc. and I only found 1 or 2 typos, so I don't know what other reviewers are complaining about. Plenty of twists and turns and I couldn't work out the killer or killers.
The non-romantic relationship between Romney and the female Marsh is developing nicely, and I liked the rivalry between Marsh and DS Wilkie - even if it did have unfortunate results. The plot was believable, the conversations the same and we didn't get bogged down in the private lives of the detectives, which I find too distracting in a murder/thriller.
The 3 story strands were well handled. I do have one small gripe though! A man is stabbed in the stomach and left "to bleed to death on the floor" - BUT he has a mobile phone in his hand. I waited for the explanation of why he didn't phone for an ambulance - but it never came. Not that I'm an expert on violent death! but I thought a stomach wound would have left enough time to make a phone call?
However, perhaps that is me being nit-picking, and I think Oliver Tidy is going to become one of my favourite authors. I have downloaded 2 books in the Acer Samson series from this author, but I am not going to read them for a while as I am sure they will be good, and I am saving them for when I'm fed up with poorer books! I will review them in due course.
77 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse