5.0 out of 5 stars Second in the series of great detective novels
Published 18 months ago by Rich66

2.0 out of 5 stars I liked the first one
I got to 79% before admitting to myself that I really didn't care whodunit. I enjoyed the first in the series but for some reason this one didn't gel for me. Maybe I missed an epic ending but life is just too short.
Published 3 months ago by SusanPoppins

5.0 out of 5 stars Second in the series of great detective novels, 8 Jan 2013
This review is from: Making A Killing (The Romney and Marsh Files Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
This book follows on the series of Romney and Marsh detective stories that began with Rope Enough. This one is another great piece that rattles along throwing up more red herrings than a Billingsgate fishmonger. The characters are well developed and likeable and the plot well driven with lots of unexpected twists and turns. With the exception of a few minor editing omissions, the piece is well written and deserves wider readership.

I cannot wait for the next title in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 25 April 2013
F. McLauchlan (North Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I read the first Romney and Marsh novel and was a little underwhelmed, particularly by the characterisation of the two leads. I vowed to give them another go and am very glad that I did.

This book is a vast improvement - cracking plot, fast-moving, loads of suspects, twists, and a surprise ending.

The story begins with a body being found on the local golf course. The victim soon emerges as the unscrupulous, unlikeable, unfaithful Captain of the Club. This ensures plenty of suspects and motives and leads to a well-written and attention-holding tale. There is a great subplot involving Marsh and another DS, elements of which made me laugh and gasp in equal measure. I read it in 2 sittings.

One of my main issues with the first book was my dislike of Romney. The author and I have discussed this and I must admit to finding him a little less annoying in this book - possibly helped by a plotline near the end which I won't reveal. Don't get me wrong, Romney is still spiteful, pompous, arrogant and misanthropic (is there anybody he DOES like?! - even his girlfriend seems to be admired purely for her bedroom skills). I think I am learning to take him less seriously - having started book 3 where he is particularly grouchy and unpleasant, this is probably the best tack to take.

Anyway. I loved this and am hoping that Mr. Tidy writes many more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Making a milling by Oliver Tidy, 21 April 2013
This is the second Romney and Marsh Files.I thoroughly enjoyed the first book and this second one didn't disappoint.Again Well Done Oliver Tidy.Just about to start the third book ,so please hurry up with the fourth !!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fan, 18 April 2013
Loving this author and his style of writing. especially like the working relationship between the two main characters. Twists and turns keep the reader interested and wanting more. This is second book read out of trio. Excited about starting third. if you are a phsycological thriller junkie you willl enjoy these books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Even better, 8 May 2013
Another great crime story. In my view this book even better than Rope Enough - which was excellent. There is a bit more character development and Dover continues to sound just as sleazy.

It is a stand alone story of murder with various sub plots and twists. Therefore it is not necessary to have read the first in the Romney Marsh series to enjoy this book.

Martin

4.0 out of 5 stars An improved second offering., 20 April 2013
A quick paced (where appropriate) tale of mis-deeds in Dover that engages all the way. Female character development a little thin, main and other males move rounded, satisfying quirks at the end. Keep a look out for the author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not disappointed, 1 May 2013
I wrote this review for book one of the Romney and Marsh series but having got half way through this second book I am not disappointed! Re: Enough Rope - Just finished this book and loved it! What a great find. I actually discovered it while aimlessly browsing the Kindle store and decided to look for novels set in Kent and straight away the notion of a DI Romney and a DS Marsh tickled me, so I just had to try it. The story kept me gripped and I found myself looking forward to the daily commute so that I could get stuck in! I am a big fan of Peter James, Mark Billingham, Peter Robinson and now Oliver Tidy makes four! I would recommend to anyone who enjoys not only a good police procedural but in the style of the aforementioned `big guns' likes to get involved in the back story of the main protagonist. I am already half way through the second book in the series and the characters are already becoming real and more fleshed out. I can see DI Romney being another Inspector Banks and I just hope Oliver Tidy has the stamina that Peter Robinson has to keep `em coming! Anyway I can't wait to get hold of the next book in the series and from the reviews I've already read I won't be disappointed. Thank you for Romney and Marsh, long may they continue.

4.0 out of 5 stars Making a killing, 10 April 2014
Excellent reading. Thoroughly enjoyed it and will look forward to the next book. It certainly kept me guessing and changing my mind on who done it.

2.0 out of 5 stars I liked the first one, 7 April 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars Didn't Think Dover Was a Crime Capital!, 8 Feb 2014
A thoroughly enjoyable read, after reading the first in the series. Romney appears to be a wily old pro and Marsh always wants to impress. Some funny parts, such as Romney making sure he left his mark in the carpet. Looking forward to the next file.