4.0 out of 5 stars Got a small coffee table?
Well, unlike most other reviewers of this title, I haven't read Al's other books (yet). However, I did have the pleasure of attending a talk he did a couple of weeks ago, where I bought a copy of this and one of his 'accounts'. (I should have come to Amazon - cheaper ;) but it wouldn't have been signed then...)
Some other reviewers seem to be somewhat unhappy with...
Published on 18 Nov 2010 by N. Parish

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing.
Published on 1 Aug 2009 by John Speakman

4.0 out of 5 stars Got a small coffee table?, 18 Nov 2010
N. Parish (UK) - See all my reviews
Some other reviewers seem to be somewhat unhappy with the book. I wasn't. It's sort of a coffee-table book for those with very small sitting rooms! Nice pictures (though a note of where they were taken would be nice) with various quotes from a whole range of people, from Plato to Eminem, Jesse Jackson to Fight Club, and Muhammad Ali to Yoda. It's basically a bit of a kick up the backside for those who have a dream but haven't got any further than the dreaming stage. It's nothing radical, but doesn't claim to be either. In fact, it refers more than once to breaking dreams down into manageable chunks, and goes on the present the manageable chunks for fulfilling our dreams.
In many ways, it's a 'If I could do it, so can you' sort of book, that's coupled with a load of great pictures (proof that Al did, in fact, travel the world!)
"Don't believe what you see on the TV: the world really is a good place. A good place to set outrageous goals, to achieve them, and to make the very most out of life."
As an aside, if you have the chance to go and hear him speak, do - it's great.

5.0 out of 5 stars ten lessons from the road, 7 Jan 2010
Mr. Alastair Burnett "The Cyclist" (The Cyclist) - See all my reviews
you must really read his other two books first and use this as an additional insperational addition. great adventure, by this point he is already on cloud 9, so you need to read the first two books first.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing., 1 Aug 2009
John Speakman (Scotland) - See all my reviews
When somebody spends 4 years cycling mostly solo around the world visiting over 60 countries and travelling 46,000 miles then you might expect that they would have a lot of time to ponder things like the meaning of life and all that. I had so enjoyed reading Alastair Humphreys accounts of his travels in Thunder and Sunshine (a book you really should buy) that I was really looking forwards to getting his book "Ten lessons from the road", because I felt that here was something that might be new and refreshing. This guy might have a genuine novel view of things. I was very disappointed. First this is not really a book in the conventional sense of pages covered in words. It is a collection of photographs (unlabelled) with a bit of text thrown in (some of it direct extracts from his first two books thunder and sunshine and moods of future joys). There are some well worn quotes sprinkled here and there. I read the whole thing in a couple of hours. Second, the lessons from the road don't really include much that is new. Set yourself ambitious goals. Don't be afraid of failure. Learn from your mistakes etc etc. It is all pretty routine self help stuff that you can get elsewhere in much greater detail with considerably more thought put into it (try Robbins or Covey for a start). There is absolutely no depth to the analysis presented here and really no novel insights. I don't think this book is worth buying. Instead go and buy thunder and sunshine and you will have hours of enjoyable reading and you will vicariously discover all the same lessons.

5.0 out of 5 stars One you'll come back to time and time again, 1 Mar 2013
I'm delighted with my copy of this book. It's not meant to be a travelogue detailing the authors journeys. It's a brief summary of the insights he gained on his travels and a formula for how you can approach life and its problems. It is also filled with quotes from the great and the good to illustrate the points made by the author. The book is beautifully put together with some excellent photography and it's one I think I'll refer back to time and again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pocket sized and packed with passion..., 23 Dec 2011
This is a great little book to dip into for anyone questioning their lot in life. If you read it from cover to cover and are still sat in the armchair with the TV on, I'd be surprised. It's a tightly focus 'call to arms' by a man who's not afraid to challenge himself physically and mentally.
I'd give it 5 stars, but I'd have really liked captions with the photos, and a line under the quotes from famous motivational speakers just giving a bit of context, but other than that, as a book of pure inspiration with some great photography, it's a useful and accessible addition to the library. Now where did I put that map...

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 23 Nov 2011
I was just lucky enough to hear Alastair Humphreys speak at a conference! He was simply inspirational. I bought the book straight away and that too has given me the inspiration to get off my sofa and do something! Read the books, but even better if you ever get chance to hear him speak- do it!!! He will change your life!

5.0 out of 5 stars Different to his other two books!, 19 Nov 2011
I received all three of Als books at once, and devoured the first two very quickly. This is more of a coffee table book filled with Als excellent photography and some straight talking advice not only for adventuring, but also for life. I love dipping into this book when I want something to cheer me up or motivate me, and it's so beautifully produced that it always makes me smile!

5.0 out of 5 stars Ten Lessons from the road, 6 Jun 2011
Having just finished Alistair Humphreys first book and just started the 2nd- have enjoyed both very much-I expect this to be just as interesting

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful book with an inspiring message, 23 Jun 2009
I have followed Alastair Humphreys' adventures on his website ever since I read his first two books about his cycle trip around the world - Moods of Future Joys & Thunder and Sunshine - so I was really excited about reading Ten Lessons from the Road.

Although it is very different to his first two books, I wasn't at all disappointed; Ten Lessons is filled with beautiful pictures from Alastair's travels and his `lessons' make for an inspiring read. Alastair's philosophy is that anybody can do anything and that challenging yourself is always a good thing, so if you're struggling to commit to your own challenge this book is an excellent source of inspiration!

My only criticism would be that it would be nice if the photographs had captions - it's a shame that you don't get find out where they were taken.

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, inspiring and very useful book, 10 July 2014
Beautiful as well, it would make a very nice present to anyone planning an adventure.

Ten Lessons from the Road