4.0 out of 5 stars Setting up the Huawei E5331 Mobile Wifi with an iPad
PROS:
The internet speed is good.
Wifi range of the unit is good.
It is very compact.
As it allows several devices to be connected at the same time, you avoid the cost of having multiple SIM cards for multiple devices.

CONS:
Back cover not easy to remove making frequent SIM card changes difficult.
Instructions are inadequate...
Published 23 months ago by Dell Hell

2.0 out of 5 stars Good connection poor construction
I had no problems getting this device up and running. I quickly managed to connect a Nexus 7 tablet and a Lucia 620.
Published 17 months ago by Guffington Threadbare

4.0 out of 5 stars Setting up the Huawei E5331 Mobile Wifi with an iPad, 29 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Huawei E5331 High Speed 3G 21.1Mbps Mi-Fi Unlocked Modem (Electronics)
PROS:
The internet speed is good.
Wifi range of the unit is good.
It is very compact.

CONS:
Back cover not easy to remove making frequent SIM card changes difficult.
Instructions are inadequate.
Battery life could be longer but at expense of compactness.

This unit proved a bit of a life saver recently when on a family vacation in northern Italy in a place where there was no internet connection. I purchased a pre-paid SIM card with an internet data allowance from the service provider Three (tre.it in Italy) in Milan on our way there. I had to activate the sim card and configure the unit manually and the enclosed instructions are poor on this aspect. Fortunately, I had wifi internet access in our hotel in Milan to get some external guidance on my iPad. There may be more elegant solutions than this particularly if your sim card is pre-activated but here is what I found and had to do to get it to work on an iPad.

What you get in the box:

Mobile Wifi Unit
USB Cable
Battery
Instruction leaflet

What else you will need:

USB charger, USB travel adaptor or a computer with USB power to charge the battery.
Standard SIM card with Pin Code.
The SSID of the unit - this is labelled inside when you take off the back cover.
The wireless key - this is also labelled inside.

What else you may need if your SIM card does not auto activate:

The APN of your service provider - tre.it in my case.
The user name of your service provider - "guest" in my case for tre.it.
The password of your service provider - again "guest" in my case for tre.it.

See this link for a list of APN user names and passwords:

[...]

To set up the Huawei E5331 Mobile Wifi with an iPad:

Prise off the back cover. This can be difficult with your bare hands and may break your nails. There is a slot on the edge of the side that is furthest from the power button. I used an old credit card to lever into this slot to get the cover off without damage. Leave the cover off until you are fully up and running.

Make a note of the wireless key labelled inside.

Insert the SIM card - it can only go one way.

Insert the battery - again, there is only one way and it's easy to do.

Power on the unit.

If the battery indicator is red, you need to charge it using the USB cable and a USB charging device.

The Wifi indicator should show green.

The internet signal indicator may show green (activated), orange (weak) or red (not available or activated). Mine showed red.

To configure the unit using an iPad.

Go to the Settings App on the iPad, set the Wifi to the SSID of the unit (Mobile Wifi-8546) in my case.

Enter the wireless key.

Check if you have access to the internet. I did not in my case and the internet indicator was red.

If you have no internet access, go to the browser (Safari on the iPad), enter[...] (the Huawei Web Management Page) in the address bar and hit Go.

You will be asked for a user name. This is "admin". (The instructions do not tell you this).

You will also be asked for a password. This is also "admin". (The instructions do tell you this).

In my case I was prompted to enter the Pin Code for the SIM card. After I did this the internet signal on the unit turned green but I still had no internet access.

The Huawei Web Management Page reported a problem with my service provider profile.

If you get a similar message, go back to the Huawei Web Management Page which is

[...]

Again the username is "admin"
The password is "admin"
Select the option DIAL UP. Then the option PROFILE MANAGEMENT.
Create a new profile called what ever name you will recognise your service provider as and enter your service provider APN, User Name and Password as listed in the link above or from another source. In my case I named the new profile tre.it, the APN was tre.it and the User Name and Password were both "guest",
Then select the new profile from the profile name drop down list to set it as the default profile for the unit.
Restart the device by selecting SETTINGS, SYSTEM and REBOOT.

The reboot takes several minutes during which the unit powered down and the iPad wifi connection to the unit was lost and it defaulted to the hotel wifi. I had to re-connect the iPad wifi to the unit and after several more minutes, internet connection was finally established.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 23 Nov. 2013
I bought this specifically for use abroad, although I did also get a 3 SIM card to try it in the UK. I have just purchased 7Gb of data in Egypt for £15, whereas a weeks WiFi in the hotel costs £30-40.
So, the unit - Yep the cover is not the easiest to get off but does it really matter ? Not to me. Put the Sim in, make sure the battery is charged, enter the code and off you go, in seconds. The range is great, I've been as far as 30 yards away with 3 walls in the way and still getting full whack. Up to 10 devices connected at once (I have an iPad, Hudl, Kindle & iPhone on at the mo and working fine)
Really can't think of anything bad to say about it.

Edit: I also purchased a small, cheap solar charger from Amazon. If you are using this in a sunny country on holiday it helps keep the battery topped up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, highly recommended, 13 Feb. 2013
I was looking for a cheap mifi so I can use my iPad when out and about, it was real plug and play, insert sim card turn on, input SSID code on the inside of the rear cover. Online in under a minute, brilliant. Using a 3GB from Amazon means I get faster and cheaper broadband than my fixed line.

What I liked about this E5331 compared to the unlocked ones from 3 is it works on 2G so even in areas with poor signal I can still get on the internet which you cannot do with the 3 device as it does not have any 2G.

5.0 out of 5 stars Internet on your terms anywhere in the world, 4 April 2014
This little device is so simple to use and being unlocked means it can be used anywhere in the world with a local SIM. Fantastic for holidays or for properties abroad where ADSL is expensive - totally mobile and easy to manage.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good connection poor construction, 28 Feb. 2014
My criticism is of the case construction which is light and strong black plastic. The problem is opening the case to access the site or battery. There a small opening which you need to lever open. It impossible to open using the opening with a finger nail or using your hands. It requires a small stronger object such as a blunt knife end or similar. Inevitably such force as is required damages the opening each time you try and open the case.

5.0 out of 5 stars Huawei E5331 modem, 24 Feb. 2014
P. MCCOLLUM - See all my reviews
It arrived ahead of schedule. It was easily rigged with its card, and connection to the tablet was also surprisingly easy. It is slightly slower than our cable connection, but works exceedingly well -- and I have no doubt will work in areas where we can get no other reception.

I do not yet understand whether, on renewal, I will have to buy the same duration and size of data package -- which I have probably over-estimated -- but that will no soubt become clear when the 90 day initial period is over.

Very pleased with this purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top quality wifi connection in Italy, 7 Aug. 2013
J. Veerman-Oosterling "Gerlau" (Europe, Holland) - See all my reviews
First of all, the pricing of the wifi modem was excellent, almost half the price that they charge in Holland. After arriving in Italy we purchased a SIMcard with internet through the local provider TIM, paid 27 euros for the card plus 2GB internet for a month. Installed the SIMcard (scribbled down the wifi code underneath the battery first), connected my mobile and we had a private and secure internet connection. The kids were thrilled (no wifi on our camping site) and we had a perfect and stable connection for up to eight users simultaneously. After arriving home (Holland) we bought a SIMcard from our provider, still trying to configure that, but there seems to be an excellent connection on our top floor now as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Internet Access on Holiday in Spain, 27 Feb. 2014
Our apartment in Spain does not have broadband nor access to wifi. The HUAWEI MIFI solution has been a great success. It allows me purchase sim time only when I need it and a reasonable cost. Strongly recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars great little modem, 18 Jun. 2013
Great compact mobile wifi unit , have not had chance to try it over more area,s of the country for coverage but seems quite good where I have used it up to now on 3 mobile, as its unlocked however I have the benefit of being able to use it with other networks for wider coverage , I bought it to use in my camper van with my tablet or even laptop so will give it a good test this summer .
What I was disappointed with was the seller,s description ,described as new but it came loose in a box (without the packing) no user manual and not in UK so waited long time for delivery (11 days) when I emailed the seller they did not answer my query about new or not but sent me a download copy of the user manual .

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it, 25 Feb. 2013
Easy to use, nothing to install. Very great for mobile internet access with iPad, iPhone and laptop. Very great :) cannot live without it. Especially a good thing for short stays abroad using foreign SIM cards.