4.0 out of 5 stars Don't expect the world & enjoy what it does well!
Published 3 months ago by Steven Burns

3.0 out of 5 stars Basic sonicare.
Not as effective as anticipated as I work in an orthodontic practice ,but better than manual brushing.I feel that more specific models are overpriced,therefore I cannot compare.
Published 5 months ago by alison williams

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't expect the world & enjoy what it does well!, 22 Jun 2014
This review is from: Philips Sonicare PowerUp Sensitve Toothbrush (Personal Care)
I've been a religious user of electric toothbrushes since I was 14, I'm coming up 26 now so it's shows my devotion to them, having a dentist for a brother helps I guess. I have always used a Oral B brush, first the professional care, up to a vitality, to a professional care 600 then to a 3000. While I've found them they always had a few niggles that irritated me*. I first tried a colgate proclinical, which I found was alright, but the bristles were soooo soft that the cleaning was inferior what I had from my old oral b, plus the battery was rubbish. Then I stumbled onto this.

Let's make one thing clear, if you want a brush with the processing power to put the kettle on and launch a space station you will be gravely disappointed, this is the most basic brush I have used in a long time. No charging light, no segment timer, no anything. But to see that as a pitfall is missing the point.

This is a brush that does it's job and does it well, yes it's basic, yes it provides a lower motor speed than others in the sonicare range, yes it looks a bit cheap, but I've found it cleans my teeth, removes plaque, even allows me to scrub my tounge without gagging which is something I have failed to do in the past. My brother owns and uses a power up brush and recommends them to his patients daily, as they do the job with no fuss and a very good performance for the price. He also owns a sonicare easyclean and used this in preference, saying "the lower stroke speed has made no difference to my teeth in comparison to my other brush, in fact it's more comfortable."

Some people have stated the vibration through the handle is more unpleasant and different to the other sonicare brushes but to me it just feels different, no worse, I get the impression that the motor damping is lower, which is acceptable for the price.

At the end of the day, it's a bargain at the price it's sold for, I trust my own judgement, and I trust my brothers, I'm happy with it. What's stopping you? Don't forget if you don't like phillips will let you return it in the the first 28 days for a full refund if it doesn't suit you, plus a 2 year warranty, even better!

* if you had sensitive teeth a lot of people have said, including me that the oral b standard heads are too firm and cause gum soreness, but the sensitive heads were either too soft or wore out at a rate of knots. Along with that as the battery discharged the performance of the toothbrush dropped so fast that by the time you had 40% battery left the cleaning left lots to be desired, along with the frankly gimmicky degree of heads available.

5.0 out of 5 stars Smile :), 28 May 2013
Having tried all different electric toothbrushes including other 'sonic' ones. The Philips is the only one for me. This model is particularly good value another big selling point is that it takes the smaller replacement heads which are a lot cheaper (say £20 for four which makes them not much more than a new toothbrush). Cant recommend highly enough.

3.0 out of 5 stars Basic sonicare., 27 Mar 2014

2.0 out of 5 stars why is this not as good as previous Sonicares I've owned?, 25 May 2013
Cheap and nasty version of a good product. Wished I'd spent more now on the next model up as it doesn't clean as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Power toothbrush, 18 Mar 2014
This is an excellent toothbrush. It is easy to use and cleans teeth to a dentists standard.
It is a treat to use.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality and features for the price, 17 Feb 2014
R Lipczyk "Rafal" (UK) - See all my reviews
I did not buy this toothbrush on Amazon but from John Lewis however I felt I should have left a review here since the quality of this toothbrush is really poor if compared against their main competitors.

First of all, there is no charge level indicator, it takes 30 hours to charge and you don't really know when the toothbrush has been fully charged up. There is no indicator present that would tell you that battery level is low, yes you can probably tell that by feeling a difference in how the toothbrush operates.

The head of the toothbrush has no moving parts, the whole tootbrush vibrates rather than having individual strings in the head moving.

So, for double the price you need to pay if comapred with for example Oral Brown toothbrush you get this simple piece with no indicators telling you about the charge levels and quite uncomfortable to use (it works by vibrating the whole unit).

I can't really understan how this toothbrush can be that expensive (relatively when compared to competition), for the features it has I would not pay more then a tenner.

3.0 out of 5 stars works O. K. but still lacking on off/ ..., 20 July 2014
works O.K. but still lacking on off/ charging light, still, you gets what you pay for.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 31 Aug 2014