Death in Paradise - Series 2 [DVD]
Format: DVDChange
Price:£6.60+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Welcome back to the fictional Caribbean island of Saint Marie (shot on location on Guadeloupe). Once again we are treated to a series of whodunnits, although where the first series was more centred around tourists on the island committing crimes, this time around the crimes involve mainly those who live on the island.

From solving murders on a plantation, a luxury spa, amongst students and explorers, a fundraiser, and involving an ex-colleague from London, you can be sure the team will get their person. Ben Miller is in excellent form again as the detective who walks around in a suit and tie, with his case, moaning about the heat. And it is so funny when he won't be phased by a hurricane coming to the island, after all what can it be like for someone who went through 'The Fish', our 1987 version.

With Camille showing signs of wanting something a bit more serious with the chief, will he pick up on these? Also here we have Fidel going for his sergeants exam, as well as Richard having to travel back to London to escort a prisoner. In the last episode you will find out whether Fidel passes, and whether Richard will return.

All in all, like the first series this is fun to watch and works your brain as you try and work out who the perpetrators are. In some respects this is back to the old days, where the criminal was exposed in a denouement, and you don't have some long back story involving the troubled relationships of the detective. Like most people of my age these were the types of stories that we grew up with, either on tv or in books, and they will always remain to a certain extent popular simply because they are escapist puzzles, where you want to beat the detective to the correct answer. And lets face it, Dwayne and Richard on the motorcycle sidecar look like Wallace and Gromit, which is comedy gold. If you want to put your feet up, watch some entertaining tv, whilst solving puzzles, then you can't really go wrong with this.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Death in Paradise manages to be a detective series with a difference - all credit to the script writers that they have been able to come up with a completely unique scenario after all the police series which have been on our screens over the years. Personally I liked the first series from the word go, but I think it has got better as it has gone along and it is certainly now right up there with my favourite television viewing.

At the end of Series 1 we saw Detective Inspector Richard Poole on the dock of the island of Sainte-Marie where the series is set, appearing to be considering remaining on the island. Series 2 sees a continuation of his career on the island, with new murders to exercise his considerable investigative skills. Ben Miller is an excellent choice for the straight laced Poole and plays the part to perfection. His rather unlikely partner is Detective Sergeant Camille Bordey, played by Sara Martins. The chemistry between the pair is quite clear and has grown as the show has gone along. This is a major factor in its success. Mention should also be made of the parts of Dwayne Myers, the oldest member of the team, and Commissioner Selwyn Patterson who was responsible for bringing Poole on board as these characters are also memorably acted.

The episodes are quite varied this time round and range from the white owner of a plantation who is found with a machete in his back, and who has rather a tangled personal life to Camille's friend, a singer, who dies mysteriously whilst performing on a yacht. Poole has his own distinctive style of operation. He quietly investigates, takes everything in and when he is ready gathers everyone together and makes his pronouncement. A different time and background, but in a strange way Poole's style does remind me of Poirot.

At present I do not believe that there has been any announcement of a third series, although the last episode would seem to have paved the way since Poole has chosen to return to the island after a trip to London. Given that viewing figures for Series 2 were significantly higher than for Series 1 it would be quite surprising if a further series does not follow. I certainly hope so!
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon 11 March 2013
I had not watched any of series 1 nor the first 6 of series 2 but a friend who does not normally watch crime stories told me that he was hooked on it. I watched episode 7 of series 2 followed by episode 8. and instantly ordered series one. now going to order series 2.
Other people have described the series so well that I need not go into the same details again. I will just say what I like about it.
Here we have great whodunits without the detailed gruesome gore of the CSI, NCIS series. Everything is much lower key and there is more humour in a very gentle, understated way.
The characters are all very likeable. The growing rapport between Poole and the rest of the team is well done.
The final revealing of the culprit is in the typical English detective story format.
One final reason to enjoy, After weeks, indeed months of cloud and cold and rain you can enjoy the sun, even if only on the screen.
on 3 March 2013
This is an amazing television series! Not only is the plot well thought out, it is hilarious! I can not wait until series 3 in 2014!
on 30 January 2013
This is such a good series and builds on the first. However each episode is self contained and could be watched in any order. It has a gentle humour without being gruesome, making this good family viewing (12 cert). Ben Miller is excellent as the stiff Brit, oblivious to the romantic opportunities around him, who couldn't possibly be seen without his suit and tie even in the Caribbean heat. This extends to his flannel pajamas. The rest of the cast are a more laid back contrast, but are no less dedicated.

The stories remind me of Columbo with all the protagonists collected for a final unmasking of the killer, their method and motive. The culprit is usually a surprise to the rest of the team and declares the equivalent of 'it's a fair cop gov. You got me bang to rights'

Marvelous!
on 8 March 2013
I absolutely love Death in Paradise and Ben Miller has made DI Richard Poole one of my all-time favourite TV detectives. Ben Miller's comic timing is second to none.
He really brings him to life and you care so much about what happens to him. It's the same with the other characters too, you really warm to them.

Brilliant acting and great scripts. I so hope the hinted romance between DI Poole and Camile comes to something in the next series.

It's got everything, fabulous characters superbly acted, really entertaining plots and gorgeous scenery.

I can't wait for series 3 so in the meantime I'm re-watching both series 1 and 2 on the DVDs I purchased with Amazon to help with the considerable withdrawal symptoms I'm having from it not being on TV.

If you want to escape into a fabulous place with lovely characters and stories you won't regret purchasing the DVDs.
on 19 March 2013
This is a great pick-me-up, when the weather is cold and grey outside. Wonderful scenery, and a gentle humour, makes this the best programme I have ever watched. I am hooked, and can't wait until series 3 becomes available. I have both series 1 and 2, and will watch them again and again. Just LOVING it, Harry is adorable!
on 1 April 2013
Ben Miller's back as the fish out of water English detective still stuck on the fictional island of Saint-Marie in the Caribbean.
He still insists on wearing a suit and tie in 100 degree weather and drinking tea. The rest of the cast are also brilliant playing his fellow detectives and their families.
There are also some great guest stars. Don't know if it's just the chance of filming in the warm that drew them in, but they're very good. Stories are clever, usually revolving around strange murders that don't seem to have a reason behind them. But the stalwart English detective, with help from his colleagues always finds it!
Can't wait for series 3, which has been approved for production this year.
on 19 February 2013
In the depths of winter this excellent series brings the beauty of the French Caribbean into my living room. Ben Miller's quirky acting style is perfect for this playful detective series and he's always supported by a backing cast of able actors. (But his wearing a tie in the Caribbean heat drives me crazy. Please loosen it and kiss your co-star Sara Martins!). Still, Death in Paradise doesn't take itself too seriously and is all the more enjoyable for that.

I'd love to see a little more of this beautiful island (a plot involving the 'La Grande Soufriere' volcano on Basse-Terre, perhaps?) for the third series?

For those wishing to read a novel in the spirit of this series, I'd suggest getting a copy of Volcanic Vengeance. Indeed, a film adaptation of Volcanic Vengeance (Kindle version) might be a perfect vehicle some of the regular actors from this series.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I love Agatha Christie, Sherlock Holmes etc, and this has a kind of Agatha Christie feel to it, with subtle, very British comedy thrown in as well. I enjoy it so much, I always think it's a shame the episodes are not longer. Living in rainy, cold old Britain it's nice that it's set on a stunningly beautiful tropical island too! Hope they make a 3rd series! 10/10