Format: Audio CD|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 22 February 2013
I really enjoyed the first Rogues Gallery record, a very interesting collection of disparate artists and songs that somehow worked - it was also a favourite with my grandchildren (although I didn't let them hear Loudon's version of the "Good ship Venus". This second volume is understandably not quite as good but it also has an unlikely collection of artists including Macy Gray, Tim Robbins, Iggy Pop and Shane MacGowan, who again interpret a similar collection of chanteys and ballads.

This certainly isn't real 'folk' music and in many cases almost theatrical cabaret-style presentations from the likes of Marianne Faithfull, Dr. John, Iggy Pop and more understandably Anjelica Huston. Elsewhere there are really good musical performances from Richard Thompson, Marc Almond, Michael Stipe and Courtney Love, Petra Haden, Sean Lennon and Todd Rundgren. I also really enjoyed the contributions from Ed Harcourt, Patti Smith, Ivan Neville, Macy Gray and especially the combination of Tom Waits and Keef Richards singing "Shenandoah". Don't worry though, as on the first volume there is also plenty of the oddball and the weird here as well, including a nightmare rendition of "Barnacle Bill the Sailor". I love the cover as well.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 25 February 2013
As you can imagine, with a guest list as disparate as that on here there are some hits and some misses to be found. Not all the songs could be described as sea shanties but they all have an old world air about them. For me this is exemplified by the first few tracks where Shane MacGowan makes his usual shambling way through Leaving of Liverpool, Robyn Hitchcock almost deliberately it seems sings off key and then you are met by the mighty Beth Orton who has the standout track on here in my opinion, River Come Down. Row Bullies Row shows that Sean Lennon can sing rather well and Shenandoah is Tom Waits doing what he does best - you either love it or hate it. And so it goes on, bawdy old songs from Iggy Pop, Richard Thompson on more familiar ground etc, etc. My recommendation would be to try and cop a listen to the album before purchase and download the tracks that appeal because I would imagine that most folk will be like me and have a few that work for them and some that won't. and won't be able to tolerate the whole album, end to end.
on 13 May 2013
I loved the first album, I thought it was a brilliant concept and the the songs were proper shanties/sea songs. This album has too many songs that seem to be used as fillers because they ran out of real sea songs. I didn't think that the range of artists was up the standard of the first one. A bit of a disappointment considering the long wait between them. I was expecting a bit more.
on 13 August 2013
If you've got the first disk, you'll know what to expect. There are two discs, the first probably more folky than the second, but having said that, neither is best categorised as folk, because the production (most of which is - like everything Hal Willner does - first rate) does not attempt to stick to folk routines. There is a wise range of performers - most of them, including the ones I've not heard of elsewhere, excellent. And a fairly wide range of musical types, from singalong through to almost New Music. The quality and interest levels are high. Some of it I quickly switch on to "next track", but not much, and some I set to immediate replay. They're good varied light entertainment and I'd certainly repace them if I lost them. Recommended.
on 4 July 2013
Like the first one the Son of Rogues Gallery is the usual mix of non voices (Tom Waits,Shane McGowan)against more legitimate ones (Beth Orton,Sting,Richard Thompson) in these interpretations of sea shanties and pirate ballads which are not exactly Cyril Tawney or Fishermans' Friends
Obviously no one knows just how sea shanties were performed if in fact they ever were as life at sea in the 18th century would leave sailors too exhausted for any music making
But it would have been nothing like these versions which could be compared to a rock band accompanying a Welsh Male Voice Choir
It appeals to me because I love cover versions
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 December 2015
I bought this CD because I wanted a copy of The Ol' OG by Ed Harcourt that I'd heard on Cerys Matthews' show on BBC 6 Music... to this day it lives in my car and I sing along to it like a jolly pirate!
on 18 June 2013
I like most of the songs, interesting range and well played. I look forward to the next album as I'm sure it will be as good as this one and the first one.
on 14 January 2016
such a crazy, big, epic clash of guitars and distorted vocals, is a bit noisy, and at times it seems unfocused,
on 23 April 2014
VERY GOOD CD.
I think it is an acquired taste.
Packed with good original folk, pirate shanty tunes. Lots of different types.
on 21 November 2014