5.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected, 12 Jan 2014
JMH170 "JMH170" (Lothian, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fujitsu ScanSnap iX500 Deluxe A4, Duplex Wi-Fi Scanner (Office Product)
Despite reading great reviews this scanner has turned out so much better than I thought.

I've tinkered with the default settings to ensure it works exactly as I need and very quickly enabled me to be almost paperless. More importantly with a folder setup containing searchable PDFs and using the excellent foxit pdf viewere which has a fairly capable search facility (its free to download) - I can find anything within minutes at worst and normally in seconds.

The scanner is fast - accurate - and jams only when I get careless and give it wrinkled up paperwork.
Taking a few seconds to get the same wrinkled up papers orgainsed and straightened / flat(ish) - will ensure it scans just as everyting else does - brilliantly!
Ive tried the other scanning outputs (OCR etc) and all work to expected standards as promised in the literature.

Even odd sized scrap papers will scan through and pass to your application of choice. ( I often place scraps on information to my mobile via the evernote option - Its so easy!)

No problems with setup - simple installation and scanning within minutes of operning the box.

The expense was a concern for me at first but over a few short weeks its already been worth it. I can see years of valuable servce ahead.

Simple to operate - small footprint and pleasing to the eye.

Performance example: 40 page document scanned, filed and saved as searchable PDF - I'm moving onto the next docuement within 90 seconds.

Have a good system for scaanning and saving and you'll process lots very efficently.

I'll be very interested if Fujitsu manage to improve this signifiantly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally Lived Up to Expectations, 26 Aug 2013
Mr. Russell Newton "rusnewton" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
My company has an older ScanSnap in the office which is really good, so when I decided to buy one for our home, the first place I looked was at Fujitsu's latest offerings. I have not been disappointed. I have already scanned thousands of pages with it with hardly an error. The setup was completely straightforward (I am using it connected via USB, have not tested the WiFi). Configuring the scanner's options is also very easy. The scanning process itself is very fast - I set it up to create searchable PDFs, so after completing the scans (of up to 200 pages, though to do that you have to keep feeding more sheets into the hopper as it only takes about 30-40 sheets at a time) it spends a little while doing OCR etc before giving you the option to save the file or do some other processing. Quality looks good and file-sizes are decent (200 page document is 50-60MB). Overall an excellent purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Scanning madly!, 13 Aug 2013
I've become a scanning-addict from about 13:00 13th August 2013. This scanner arrived at 12:40 PM. It took me only a few minutes to install the software and make all the necessary connections. Then bingo - I press a button and the thing sucks in a piece of paper and spits it out gently. I almost couldn't believe my eyes. So I had to do that a few more times. It was soooo good! I mean I saw many videos of how it worked on YouTube and it appeared really good but seeing it in live action is another thing.

Right - I was a bit worried that the delivery by Amazon Logistics might not arrive. Had a bad experience with them a couple weeks ago - and there is a thread collecting all customers bad experiences here on Amazon. Well, I had my ear glued to that door and was stalking the front of my house. Thankfully the parcel arrived in good order. Amazon, please keep up any remedial work on delivery.

Back to the scanner - look, I'm still scanning stuff. I've gone through tons of old documents and have set them aside for shredding or incinerating. My HP 4300J scanner with ADF just cannot compete. I will still need it for the odd bit of crumpled paper that absolutely needs a flatbed. But now this iX500 has taken over. I mean this is like Veyron of home scanners! LOL. All the basic scanning software works well. Setting up WiFi connection is easy - more so if you have WPS on your router. Just press WPS on router and on scanner and you're away!

The part that's shockingly the best is scanning from my phablet - a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 - like wow this is really incredible. Get this, it appears to take the scan off the scanner faster than my laptop! Like how good is that!!!!! You know when you buy all singing and dancing stuff, you're kind of waiting for it to cause trouble because you kinda think 'nah.. it can't work that well'. Well, this really works.

The scans are very clear and sharp at the recommended level of around 300dpi. So like a few minutes ago I decided to try out some receipts from Tesco and Asda - the machine is 'unforgiving' of paper bills. It sucks em in, spits them out and produces a scanned and trimmed document on my laptop... wirelessly!!!! Ama jumping for joy!! Gosh I can't contain myself. Supermarket receipts have a habit of fading after a few months. Well this cures that. And get this, the receipts are trimmed automatically for page size in PDFs created.

Colour scanning is just brilliant. I'll say no more. File sizes depend on resolution etc. At 300 dpi in Black and White, file sizes are not large at all.

The rollers need replacing every 200,000 scans (and the machine keeps a count for you). However if like me, you will make say 5000 scans per year, you shouldn't need to replace this for 40 years, by which time you surely will have bought other devices as technology advances, or you've passed on. :)

The footprint on a desk is very small. One thing to be careful with the output tray door remains slightly at an angle by design, to collect paper. You may be tempted to press it flat. Don't as it will break. (no I didn't break it).

I've had some problems with MagicDesktop software. It won't install properly - but that doesn't affect my use of the machine at all because the ScanSnap software does all the work of scanning. I'll sort out that glitch later - I mean MagicDesktop is separate software for document filing, searching etc so no worries if you're thinking of buying the non-deluxe model.

Well, that's all for the moment. I've gotta get back to me scanning - it's such a joy. I'll update this review as I learn more or if I encounter any problems.

01/09/2013 18:27PM (Addendum)
I've been using the iX500 now quite regularly. I thought I should share a few more things.
To start of, it remains lovely!! And liken (by analogy) to a 'good wife', it gets better as you get to know each other. :) LOL. As I've been using the Deluxe package, I have tried Rackfiler2 and gotten MagicDesktop working. Still trying to work them to my advantage - takes time to learn as always.

Today alone, I've scanned over 1500 pages. In all that the following were very good:
1. Scan quality strangely seemed to have improved - without tweaking - as I use it more. I can't explain that.
2. The ScanSnap Organizer software beats back Nuance PaperPort 14 pro. I've used the latter for a long time. It makes PPpro look slow and clumsy. No turning back. I've now decommissioned PPpro.
3. The wireless scanning is a doddle to set up especially if have WPS on your router. I've been loving the distance from the scanner 4 metres away. I can do things with my computer whilst on the settee surfing the net while stuff is scanning away.
4. Paper jams occasionally happen by that's so easy to recover from. I just take out what's stuck and put it back in the place it should have been. Then press the scan button on the iX500 and we're back in business.
5. It's remarkably sensitive in picking up when two pages are stuck together and gone through, when it would pause and ask for options. Restarting from where you need to is easy.
6. It's difficult to separate the total scanning experience of the 'scanner' from the 'software'. They work together so well.

I've had tons of old paper files taking up storage space on book shelves. Now they're all disappearing. Electronic file sizes are amazingly good too - 370 pages down into 50MB. Me likeee!!!! LOL. Readability is excellent. I've only tried OCR software once..seems to work but no need to rely on it for my purposes, which is archiving.

Actually, I've been discovering that my biggest problem now is ...wait for it.. staples!! Yes! Stapled documents are slowing me down! I've been using the usual jaw type staple remover which is fine. But when I get fed up, I just use a pair of shears to slice of the corners on pages containing the staples.

I have an ADF HP scanner/printer, and I was painfully and slowly using PPpro to get through the large set of documents. The whole thing, was very very slow over several months. I mean it's fine if you just have 100 pages to scan using PPpro and an ADF scanner. But when you have thousands of pages, it becomes a pain.

I as recommending iX500 to a colleague last night, and he said "it's a bit pricey". Well, I can't argue with that. But to be honest I just couldn't get through the lot that I have to scan a more cost efficient way. So for me - it's just brill.

Oh - one last thing - the ultrasonic sensors to an amazing job on things like supermarket receipts, that are not standard size of paper. It senses the edges of the receipts very well and crops the PDF paper down to the exact size. These receipts come out crystal clear. Stick in a long document like a CRB certificate - no problem, it'll make the PDF that size. It can scan papers up to 34 inches in length (according to booklet).

For anyone with loads of documents to scan, I'd say close your eyes and buy this. It's more than worth the money (for me at least).

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute godsend, 19 Jun 2014
I have a mountain of photos and documents to archive. I was making excruciatingly slow progress with an ordinary multi-sheet scanner and was at my wits' end. Research on Amazon revealed this miraculous device. It is intelligent, fast, easy to use, intuitive, well-designed and, considering the huge amount of time I have already saved, cheap at the price. Take the time to look at the videos showing it in use on the Fujitsu website. I found myself giggling with child-like delight the first time I scanned fifty colour photographs at "best" resolution in about 2 minutes. Even though "excellent" resolution takes a little longer, the results are superb. The software which comes with it is practical and intuitive. On the very odd occasion that a jam has occurred (when attempting to scan a torn or otherwise problematical document) I have cleared it literally in seconds, because the device can be opened by pulling a switch, and then clicked shut. With the one proviso that it is not intended to be used with works of art or valuable and irreplaceable documents, I recommend it highly. I don't make a habit of leaving feedback on products, but I just feel that Fujitsu deserve credit for this outstanding product. Buy something other than this and weep.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best product I bought in ages., 20 May 2013
This scanner has totally cleaned up my office. I have an evernote account (premium) and I've scanned my entire life into evernote with this scanner.
Easy to use, setup a breeze. Double sided scanning. Scans directly into evernote. Can't believe I was using a regular scanner for years. This product is worth it's weight in gold.
I have even loaded 10 pages at a time; double sided - without a blink. I believe it's capacity is around 30+.
Haven't seen a product this good in years, and no wonder the reviews are all brilliant.
Think I first heard of it from the evernote site.
Awesome product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great scanner, 7 Jun 2014
Arrived on time. Easy to set up (If I can do it anyone can). Works like a dream. Copes with different paper sizes. I have only been using it for one month but if it continues without problems it is going to be one of my best purchases for my home-office. The secretaries in the department at work use an earlier model of Fujitsu and seems to have been working well there for over one year so, it seemed a good make to go for and so far I am very pleased.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, 15 Aug 2013
We use this in our office for scanning in invoices. Very quick and quiet. No matter if doing colour or B&W, simplex or duplex.

5.0 out of 5 stars Scansnap iX500 Deluxe Scanner, 24 April 2014
J. M. Bett (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
Excellent product. Easy to use. Very good results. Is able to scan directly to Evernote and to email which is great.
Highly recommend this scanner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super scanner, 20 Mar 2014
Very fast and accurate and very simple to use. Can now also scan from my iPhone. Last fujitsu scanner lasted several years with some very serious scanning done over that time so wanted another fujitsu. Hopefully this will also last as long.

4.0 out of 5 stars Its a bit pricey but it does a pretty good job., 31 July 2014
Works well and fits my needs. It does jam occasionally and scanned pages are left with a feed roller crease down the center but I can live with that.