on 17 June 2013
Starts off with one string & works up. If I can understand it anyone can! My playing has improved consistently.
on 5 September 2012
After reading this book I feel that I am quite an accomplished guitarist given the length of time I have been playing. I would really recommend this book to all budding guitarists as a first step.
on 15 March 2013
Taught me loads about the guitar and how to begin it and easy to understand perfect for just starting learning
on 30 January 2013
good value, quickly gets you started. A complete beginner I found this book a big help,I would definetly recommend many thanks.
on 12 January 2014
I have to admit, not quite what I was expecting but for the price, a reasonable buy. There are a few "how to" pages at the front detailing the very basics, then the rest of the book is sheet music to play. If I were the publisher, I'd loose the word "complete" from the title.
on 31 January 2016
I bought this book along with Beginner's Guitar Lessons - The essential guide by Joseph Alexander, as I simply didn't have any idea as to what kind of book would suit me as a complete beginner. Both books turned out to be very helpful for me to get to understand the very basic of guitar playing. But this book by Ben Parker was easier to understand when it came to chord learning from scratch. I was classically trained in piano, so at least I didn't have to worry about reading musical notes. I just needed to understand how to produce a right note/chords using these 6 strings on fret board and this book has provided a photo of the fret board with a finger pressing on the right string coupled with some easy exercise score to practice. The illustration was easy to understand and clear. With Beginner's Guitar lessons by Joseph Alexander, the content has more detailed explanation such as how to hold a guitar and use a plectrum in the correct way, which Ben Parker's book did not elaborate much in great details. Once I got through the most of the pages in Ben Parker's book, it was a lot easier for me to go through the lessons in this book by Joseph Alexander and got more knowledge out of the book, as it has lot more convoluted information such as splitting the chord and descending bass lines. At the end page of both books, there are dictionary of useful chords. I find the book by Ben Parker better and easier to get into, which has a comprehensive list of chords by type ( Major, Minor and 7th chords). Once you have learned the most common chords through the books, you can always refer back to this list of chords to check your progress in remembering them and build more knowledge from there. I was so worried that I would never ever master learning chords in the first week I have started, but now I have learned most of the common chords in these books and I can move on to the next step. I think learning a new instrument requires a great amount of perseverance and enthusiasm, which does help the learner to cope with crossing over difficult hurdles especially if they are very tough hurdles !
on 1 October 2012
My hubbie bought me a guitar for xmas last year but I've never quite got around to learning it properly - so it finally felt liek time. cought a couple of beginners books and this one was great, nice and simple and easy to follow. It's ages since I read musci so I liked being able to follow the TAB diagrams, but it's also re-teaching me to read music properly as well, so best of both worlds. Good wee book !
on 24 February 2014
I'm taking music as a GCSE option in school, and almost everyone can play an instrument, but me! I know a lot about music already, and how to tune a guitar, and how to play a few songs, but I didn't know enough to actually play the guitar… Every module, we have to perform a solo, and I usually sing or play piano, but I don't actually get lessons on either, so I don't excel in either. And I always wanted to learn guitar, and have one to practice at home, but I could never get lessons, but because of the post 16 music students and the awesome guitar teacher, I learnt quite a bit, and my mum surprised me and got me an acoustic guitar for christmas and this book! Everyone I spoke to advised me to learn 3 or 4 chords, and then learn to switch between them quickly, to a strumming beat, and eventually you'll pick it up.

What I found very useful is at the back of the books there are 3 pages that have the major, minor and seventh chords! So I've mostly been looking at the chords and tried them on my guitar, then tried switching between them. I haven't really read the start of the book because it tells you how to tune the guitar, how to hold it, how to hold a pick/plectrum and use it, and well because of my knowledge, I already knew this stuff, but if you don't I recommend getting this book! Because it does start with the very basics, and gives you a few short music lessons and simple string exercises. After the book covers the basics, it goes on to show you how to put your knowledge to use, and it has the sheet music for simple sings like Twinkle Twinkle little star, and Mary had a little lamb :) These songs are obviously easy, but it gets you used to the fret board, and practises you to move your fingers quicker!
on 21 September 2012
My grandson has just started high school and is choosing Guitar as his musical instrument. I looked around for a book that looked easy enough for him to follow as he hasn't started reading music yet either. His dad look on amazon and suggested I get him this one as it does teach them how to read and follow music but also how to use diagrams and follow the photos and illustrations as well, so he can do either....It got a big thumbs up when i gave it to him!
on 21 April 2013
Thought this book was great, some beginner books (if you're an adult) tend to insult your intelligence. But I thought this one gave good instructions, and a very solid basis to start your guitar playing journey.