on 29 May 2014
Wow, not sure how to describe this book. For a start it blew me away, just everything about it, the detail, the characters, the reality of the situations (despite the paranormal), the story, the pace, just well.. the whole lot! The quality of the writing is fantastic and had me on the edge of my seat the whole way through. This kept me up all hours and yawning the next day!

The story picks up with a running jump right from where we left off in the last book. Amber is learning more about the world she inhabits now and her confidence is slowly growing but the more she learns the more she realises she doesn't know. As with all vampire (sorry Athanate) books the politics is often a factor but this was far from boring and had me completely intrigued. Rarely in a book do we get to see the supernatural community whilst it is planing it's announcement of presence to the world at large. The reality of technology and government organisations is one all too easily imagined and I found the handling of this completely fascinating.

The band of people growing around Amber are also captivating and I love the way it is all unfolding, especially in regards to her 'kin'

All in a all what a fantastic ride and I'm off to get the next book right now!
on 23 April 2013
This book just got better and better. Love the politics and of course the characters. It is fantasy with vampires and werewolves and witches, but the story line is excellent and the style of writing keeps you interested until the end. Can not wait until the next book.
on 18 April 2013
So I loved this more than the first book - Amber seems more self assured, and still does her best to keep her day job going in the face of great adversity. She reminds me of all the good bits of Anita Blake, but I hope won't go quite so sex mad as Anita. I find it hard to comprehend when heroines move entire personalities away from their starting position- Amber is in no danger of doing this yet, but it would be a shame if she did.

I have to say I have more questions than answers after finishing this book, and this begs the question - how much longer do we have to wait?! One more addition to the fan club here....
on 2 May 2016
As usual, nothing in Amber Farrell’s life is straightforward. The sheer number of complications that wrap her life are mind-boggling: family, relationships, athenate, werewolves, adepts, crime lords, the FBI... The list keeps multiplying as each problem impinges on other aspects of Amber’s life, twisting already difficult situations into crises.
I love it! The way these problems develop are all so logical - no artifice or plot devices here, they unfold in realistic fashion, producing a highly complex, multi-stranded plot that to me, makes the ideal novel.
Henwick’s writing is a joy – his descriptions posses a wonderful organic flow that leaves me, as a writer, seething with envy; his over-arching thread for the series is skilfully woven into the events of the individual story, and his heroine is both super strong and yet by no means invincible. She’s working things out as she goes alone, with all the attendant confusion and doubt that brings. The action and pace is blistering even with the many long conversations, probably down to the fact that the dialogue is so utterly realistic, and the many characters all have their individual manner of speaking.
I listened to the audio book and at this point I would also praise the narrator, who has a fantastic range that makes each and every character’s speech instantly recognisable – I was never in any doubt as to who was speaking. This is a long book, and you need to enjoy a voice if you are going to listen for that many hours. I’d highly recommend this audio version if you don’t want to sit and read the book.
on 2 May 2016
on 24 March 2013
Henwick's second book is a great new take on a rather overdone genre. The main character is snarky, sarcastic and completely badass, with an intriguing military background and an interesting take on the supernatural world.
on 21 January 2013
Just finished this book having read both parts of the Bite back series in 2 nights! It is excellent, and if you enjoy strong female leads - think Anita Blake in the early books - you will love this book. It is well written and engaging and you find yourself being sucked into the world that the author carefully crafted and unable to put the book down. Cant wait for the next installment to find out what happens to all of the characters.
on 28 April 2013
Got this immediately after reading the first book. The story remains solid and at least we start to get rid of the one weak charater in the book.
on 29 January 2013
Absolutely fantastic and worth every penny. Well written, exciting, imaginative, just the right amount of blood and sex...what else do you need?

This author has gone straight to the top of my list and I wholeheartedly recommend this series to lovers of UF/vampire/werewolf/military themed novels it ticks every single box!

Keep them coming Mr Henwick
on 15 January 2013
I must admit I picked up this series because the Kindle price was good, but the story is just as good as those priced 40% higher.
There's nothing really new here plotwise - it's your standard urban fantasy romance with kickass heroine, but it's written very well and I enjoyed it a lot.
I look forward to the next.