on 25 October 2013
I have had an ongoing issue with my inbuilt Network Adaptor and had previously purchased another product via Amazon which was similar to this one (all I can tell you is the other pluggable adaptor was blue 2.0 usb 10/100) . I probably shouldn't say it was similar as it ended up being slow as a dead snail even though the various sellers of the blue adaptor gave the impression it would handle anything up to 100mb when in reality its max was 12mb if you were really really lucky but usually maxed out at around 8mb.
My max connection speed at the moment is around 38mb which is pretty good for the UK so I started searching for a better pluggable adaptor and was lucky enough to find this little beauty. I only have 2.0 USB ports but that wasn't a prob as all the 3.0 USB devices will still work in 2.0 ports (of course their capabilities are limited to 2.0 speeds) so getting a 3.0 devise would mean I was able to push the 2.0 port to it's max.
Shortly after purchasing this Adaptor I received an email from the seller with the direct link to the drivers which I thought was really cool and ensured that when it arrived (which was in a matter of days), all I had to do was plug it in and I was set...no fuss whatsoever.
The Adaptor worked the second it was plugged in and has done since the day it was installed. Zero drop-outs and consistently maintains an average speed of 34mb and at times even exceeds my expected max of 38mb.
I noticed some people saying this adaptor was "quite big" or something like that It isn't!!..Its 6.5cm x 2cm which is a lot less chunky than the rubbish Blue one I unfortunately purchased. The USB connection is on a flexible wire which is a dang site better than the ones that rigidly plug straight into the USB port..which was a nightmare on my laptop.
I don't make a habit of rambling on about things I buy off Amazon..but I can tell you straight, if you are looking for a Pluggable Network Adaptor which is reliable, consistent and no fuss..I would highly recommend this one with no hesitation at all. I don't know what it's max speed actually is, but it certainly works to my max...Awesome !!!!!
on 7 November 2013
Exactly as advertised, very compact and lightweight.
I'm using the adapter on a laptop running Linux (Xubuntu 13.10, Linux 3.11.0-12-generic) and had no issues with setup at all. Plugged it in and it was good to go.

Fantastic performance. Tested with iperf tool, results as follows:
[ ID] Interval Transfer Bandwidth
[ 5] 0.0-10.0 sec 1.06 GBytes 907 Mbits/sec
[ 4] 0.0-10.0 sec 443 MBytes 371 Mbits/sec

907Mbps is excellent, especially given the relatively hostile environment (messily bundled cables incl. DC power, AC power, HDMI, USB and of course, Ethernet).
I expect I'd achieve even higher speeds (a little closer to the 1Gbps if I tried to eliminate crosstalk between cables, switched from Cat5e to Cat6/a and transferred a larger dataset).

Very impressed.
review image
on 27 March 2014
I got this adapter to be able to quickly transfer large amounts of data from my main laptop to my Acer C720 Chromebook (which I'd upgraded to a 128GB SSD). The adapter worked perfectly, with files syncing across at 40MB/s or more, which matches the sync speed to my desktop PC over a normal 1Gbit ethernet card.

Some details for Linux users: Out-of-the-box support for this adapter is only in kernel 3.9 and newer (Ubuntu users: Ubuntu 13.10 and newer). For Ubuntu 13.04 and earlier you can install the package ax88179 from the PPA [...]
For older versions of other distros it's possible to download and compile the driver yourself, but this is a lot of work since you might have to repeat the process for every kernel update.
on 5 June 2013
Works well tested on a Dell Laptop and Desktop. Bizarrely I have three and one is in a different plastic case.

Good transmission speed, no driver issues.

One minor issue: The JumboPacket is limited at 4K and not the 9K as specified on the web page, packaging and manual.
(If you don't know what a jumbo packet is then don't let this put you off. the adapter works fine.
on 29 March 2014
It's important to remember when purchasing this particular product that the maximum speeds you'll be able to achieve depend heavily on other factors. The most important being that a Bit and a Byte are completely different, for the purposes of this review the values are all in megabytes as the speed you pay for from Internet Provider is given in Megabytes. The second being the USB socket you plug into.

If you use USB 3.0 then you will get the full gigabit Ethernet speeds (128 Megabytes) as USB 3.0 supports 640 Megabytes a second. However those who plug into USB 2.0, the absolute maximum you can achieve is around 60 Megabytes per second, however most will find you only achieve around 25 megabytes on average. This is decent for general internet browsing and streaming, but its useful to know as it isn't explicitly stated.

The speeds achieved also depend on your Ethernet Cables, be sure to use Category 5e or Category 6 to ensure maximum speeds. (these cables are relatively cheap)

Finally be sure to check that your router's Ethernet ports are in fact Gigabit Ethernet, otherwise this is product is irrelevant to you without a better router (most modern routers are fully gigabit Ethernet compatible!)

Now to my opinion of the product.

I bought this the other day to improve my internet speeds when reading and writing to my D-Link DNS-320L NAS Drive as my laptop doesn't have gigabit Ethernet port, and it boosted my speeds from 2 Megabytes per sec on Wi-Fi and 10 Megabytes per sec on my older version of Ethernet, to around 25 Megabytes per sec write speeds through a USB 2.0 port.

However when trying to write files above certain sizes, I found that the transfer speed would fluctuate massively and after a certain amount of time would simply stop and windows would crash. I managed to pinpoint this down to the issue being with this Ethernet adapter. Using the device manager in windows 8.1 I decided to roll back the driver from ASIX to see if it would make a difference. Same issue occurred. I then used a driver provided by Microsoft which resolved the crashing issue, it also boosted my speeds by around 5 megabytes!

For any wishing to do the same, open control panel > Hardware and sound > Device manager (will prompt admin) > Scroll down and open Network Adapters > double click ASIX AX88179 > Click driver tab > Update driver > Browse my computer > Let me pick from a list > Finally choose the one with (Microsoft) at the end.

You don't need to do this if you're not using the adapter in the same way I am, however if you find your internet crashing or have the same issue as me, now you know how to fix it!

Overall I think it's a good product for those who have slightly older laptops and want better internet speeds, build quality is decent, nice and design, I recommend buying providing you understand what I've said in this review! :)
on 17 January 2014
My HP Laptop (12 months old) only has a 10/100 NIC Card but a 10/100/1000 wi-fi??? so I purchased this and delivery was very fast, a link to the driver download was sent b email and everything was ready to connect when the adaptor arrived. When it arrived plugged Ethernet cable in plugged in and I was on line, my wi-fi only reached 68Mb/s most often less even in same room, Testing this on my Virgin Broadband 120Mbps and got 126.78 to Maidstone 5 miles away, 126.34 to Basildon, 125.86 to Amsterdam and 119.78 to Valencia in Spain, very impressed and regularly test with same results well worth the money and great customer service
on 17 January 2014
I'm always dubious about dongles and other such usb paraphernalia so my expectations weren't that high.

Constructed of cheap light plastic, the unit is surprisingly solid and well made; the lead being of solid construction too.

Connection and setup to my Surface Pro couldn't be easier, plug in, wait for windows update to install drivers and voila you're set to go.

The speed is absolutely great, 112MB/s on a single 1.5GB file. It's actually faster than my 4 1/2 year old i7 desktop nic.

Don't hesitate and waste time like I did, just buy it.
on 15 June 2014
Basically a simple piece of kit that does the job.
Having said that why would you need one ?
Well wireless is great but where you might need a permanent connection it can be a bit flaky , also there are still unix
flavours that are a bit haphazard with wireless technology.
This cheap little device is ideal if your repurposing an old laptop as a dedicated intelligent firewall/proxy or router
(you will need at least 2 network ports for this)
Or running a VM , using VMWARE or similar, having a dedicated port for the virtual machine is a huge bonus, to having it share
the host machines port.
The only downside to this device is the first one is recognised easily ,
you can get away with a 2nd by installing it as a usb 2 device (where it will be allocated usb 2 interrupts and memory space)
but it does not appear to have the intelligence to request different resources if 2 are plugged in general.
This is not really a huge issue, many wireless adapters behave in a similar fashion , the solution there being to mix brands.

What I really like about this tech is no blue screen of death! simple tech does the job , doesn't crash the computer
not really sure what has happened with wireless, but I seem to be gathering a pile of wireless adapters which are basically unstable ! well here is one solution back to the good old trusty wired LAN !
on 7 December 2013
Application: Windows 8 Ultrabook with USB 3.0 ports.

I'm getting 30mbs download and 9mbs upload with this over a powerline network - exactly the same as from another laptop with a dedicated ethernet port - so happy with that.

Nicely finished. It has an 'always on' LED to show it is live and a green flasher to show data activity, which is useful.

I downloaded the latest drivers before I installed 'just in case' but it was basically a plug and play job. Did not need the mini CD or the manual.

All good.
on 30 April 2013
I had some problems but they were all nothing to do with the product in the end. A guy helped me from pluggable (excellent service) beyond what he needed to do in the end the problems were to do with windows 8 and my PC hardware...