5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Awesome!!!
Published 16 months ago by PJ

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't Work For Me
Item arrived bang on time but unfortunately I had to returned it. The device itself worked absolutely fine once I disconnected my external hand drive used to back-up files.

I was not able to resolve a conflict between the two devices. My motherboard has two USB 3 slots, the external hard drive is plugged into one and the Ethernet LAN Network Adapter into the...
Published 1 month ago by P. Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Awesome!!!, 25 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Plugable USB 3.0 to 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN Network Adapter (ASIX AX88179 chipset, Windows 8.1, 8, 7, Vista, XP, Linux, OS X, Chrome OS) (Personal Computers)
I have had an ongoing issue with my inbuilt Network Adaptor and had previously purchased another product via Amazon which was similar to this one (all I can tell you is the other pluggable adaptor was blue 2.0 usb 10/100) . I probably shouldn't say it was similar as it ended up being slow as a dead snail even though the various sellers of the blue adaptor gave the impression it would handle anything up to 100mb when in reality its max was 12mb if you were really really lucky but usually maxed out at around 8mb.
My max connection speed at the moment is around 38mb which is pretty good for the UK so I started searching for a better pluggable adaptor and was lucky enough to find this little beauty. I only have 2.0 USB ports but that wasn't a prob as all the 3.0 USB devices will still work in 2.0 ports (of course their capabilities are limited to 2.0 speeds) so getting a 3.0 devise would mean I was able to push the 2.0 port to it's max.
Shortly after purchasing this Adaptor I received an email from the seller with the direct link to the drivers which I thought was really cool and ensured that when it arrived (which was in a matter of days), all I had to do was plug it in and I was set...no fuss whatsoever.
The Adaptor worked the second it was plugged in and has done since the day it was installed. Zero drop-outs and consistently maintains an average speed of 34mb and at times even exceeds my expected max of 38mb.
I noticed some people saying this adaptor was "quite big" or something like that It isn't!!..Its 6.5cm x 2cm which is a lot less chunky than the rubbish Blue one I unfortunately purchased. The USB connection is on a flexible wire which is a dang site better than the ones that rigidly plug straight into the USB port..which was a nightmare on my laptop.
I don't make a habit of rambling on about things I buy off Amazon..but I can tell you straight, if you are looking for a Pluggable Network Adaptor which is reliable, consistent and no fuss..I would highly recommend this one with no hesitation at all. I don't know what it's max speed actually is, but it certainly works to my max...Awesome !!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Ease of use USB to Ethernet LAN Adapter, 4 Oct. 2013
Having purchased a Microsoft Surface Pro system I was so impressed with the device that I thought to use it to replace my business notebook. However, even buying an expansion unit for it (that plugs into the USB port) I could only use WiFi in the office. Then I saw that I could obtain a USB 3.0 to Ethernet LAN network 'device' for a reasonable amount.

The device arrived with full technical notes, mini CD of software and the offer of help by the supplier should I need it.

I plugged the device straight into Surface Pro USB and connected a working LAN cable. THAT WAS ALL I NEEDED TO DO! Within seconds I was happily accessing data files on the LAN services offered by my business as well as browsing the web and sending/receiving emails. No need to load software, no need to wait for a support desk, it just worked.

Having been working in IT since 1970 this was probably the fastest and 'work first time' pieces of kit I have ever used! Technology can work well after all!

5.0 out of 5 stars Light, fast and excellent value, 7 Nov. 2013
Exactly as advertised, very compact and lightweight.
I'm using the adapter on a laptop running Linux (Xubuntu 13.10, Linux 3.11.0-12-generic) and had no issues with setup at all. Plugged it in and it was good to go.

Fantastic performance. Tested with iperf tool, results as follows:
[ ID] Interval Transfer Bandwidth
[ 5] 0.0-10.0 sec 1.06 GBytes 907 Mbits/sec
[ 4] 0.0-10.0 sec 443 MBytes 371 Mbits/sec

907Mbps is excellent, especially given the relatively hostile environment (messily bundled cables incl. DC power, AC power, HDMI, USB and of course, Ethernet).
I expect I'd achieve even higher speeds (a little closer to the 1Gbps if I tried to eliminate crosstalk between cables, switched from Cat5e to Cat6/a and transferred a larger dataset).

Very impressed.

5.0 out of 5 stars So far, so good, 7 Jan. 2014
madra (manchester) - See all my reviews
I bought one of these to use the wired internet connection at work with my MacBook Air, which doesn't have any Ethernet ports. It works a treat -although it's not plug'n'play, you will need to install the driver for your mac to recognise it as an Ethernet port.

It's a couple of quid cheaper than the Apple equivalent and a tenner cheaper than the Apple Thunderbolt to Ethernet adaptor [which is what Apple want you to buy, in order to use a wired internet connection with your MBA] and it seems pretty well made -for a plastic dongle!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little device - works at 1Gbit speeds, 27 Mar. 2014
I got this adapter to be able to quickly transfer large amounts of data from my main laptop to my Acer C720 Chromebook (which I'd upgraded to a 128GB SSD). The adapter worked perfectly, with files syncing across at 40MB/s or more, which matches the sync speed to my desktop PC over a normal 1Gbit ethernet card.

Some details for Linux users: Out-of-the-box support for this adapter is only in kernel 3.9 and newer (Ubuntu users: Ubuntu 13.10 and newer). For Ubuntu 13.04 and earlier you can install the package ax88179 from the PPA [...]
For older versions of other distros it's possible to download and compile the driver yourself, but this is a lot of work since you might have to repeat the process for every kernel update.

4.0 out of 5 stars It works pretty well, 5 Jun. 2013
Works well tested on a Dell Laptop and Desktop. Bizarrely I have three and one is in a different plastic case.

Good transmission speed, no driver issues.

One minor issue: The JumboPacket is limited at 4K and not the 9K as specified on the web page, packaging and manual.
(If you don't know what a jumbo packet is then don't let this put you off. the adapter works fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent piece of Kit, 17 Jan. 2014
My HP Laptop (12 months old) only has a 10/100 NIC Card but a 10/100/1000 wi-fi??? so I purchased this and delivery was very fast, a link to the driver download was sent b email and everything was ready to connect when the adaptor arrived. When it arrived plugged Ethernet cable in plugged in and I was on line, my wi-fi only reached 68Mb/s most often less even in same room, Testing this on my Virgin Broadband 120Mbps and got 126.78 to Maidstone 5 miles away, 126.34 to Basildon, 125.86 to Amsterdam and 119.78 to Valencia in Spain, very impressed and regularly test with same results well worth the money and great customer service

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product - I had some problems but they were all nothing to do with the product in the end..., 30 April 2013
I had some problems but they were all nothing to do with the product in the end. A guy helped me from pluggable (excellent service) beyond what he needed to do in the end the problems were to do with windows 8 and my PC hardware...

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick trip through the ether, 17 Jan. 2014
I'm always dubious about dongles and other such usb paraphernalia so my expectations weren't that high.

Constructed of cheap light plastic, the unit is surprisingly solid and well made; the lead being of solid construction too.

Connection and setup to my Surface Pro couldn't be easier, plug in, wait for windows update to install drivers and voila you're set to go.

The speed is absolutely great, 112MB/s on a single 1.5GB file. It's actually faster than my 4 1/2 year old i7 desktop nic.

Don't hesitate and waste time like I did, just buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Job, 7 Dec. 2013
Fandango - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Application: Windows 8 Ultrabook with USB 3.0 ports.

I'm getting 30mbs download and 9mbs upload with this over a powerline network - exactly the same as from another laptop with a dedicated ethernet port - so happy with that.

Nicely finished. It has an 'always on' LED to show it is live and a green flasher to show data activity, which is useful.

I downloaded the latest drivers before I installed 'just in case' but it was basically a plug and play job. Did not need the mini CD or the manual.

All good.