5.0 out of 5 stars Unputdownable third book is a MUST READ, 22 Aug 2012
I've been a fan of Gillian Philip's REBEL ANGELS series since the first book, Firebrand (Rebel Angels Series) came out in 2010. The second book, Bloodstone (Rebel Angels Series) nearly ripped my heart out, but I loved that too, despite my tears. So naturally, I was on the edge of my seat to find out what happened in Book 3. I'm happy to report that it's an absolute cracker. I don't want to put any spoilers up, but the action has moved on roughly ten years. Seth MacGregor is now Captain of his Dun and his clann, and Rory (the Bloodstone) has grown into a stroppy teenager who resents his dad's restrictions on his movements in and out of his home. Kate NicNiven, faery queen and arch-cow, is still plotting to steal Rory away, and as the book opens, her evil plans are ripening nicely. Kate is a great character, written with masterful conviction by Philip, who clearly enjoys creating every inch of her icy but enthralling wickedness. You have to both hate and admire her at the same time (Kate, that is!).

I knew when I picked this book up that I wouldn't be going anywhere for a while, and so it proved. I was, almost literally, glued to the fast-moving action which roars off every page. I'm just as much in love with ace faery hero Seth MacGregor as ever, not least because he finally seems to have grown up and taken responsibility for his actions. It isn't a secret that Philip had some rough times writing this one, but it doesn't show, and all the blood, sweat and tooth-grinding she expended on it have paid off in spades. In fact, I'd say that her prose has become even smoother and richer than it was before. This book is incredibly good, and there were some pieces of writing I stepped back in awe at (when I wasn't ripping the pages apart in my haste to get to the next bit of story). If you want a really good read, please buy this book, and the two that go before it. You won't be disappointed. This is definitely one of my favourite YA fantasy series of all time, and it should be on every bestseller list.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great storytelling, 3 Nov 2012
G. M. Banks (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews
I've read all the Rebel Angels books so far - and have loved them all. Wolfsbane certainly did not disappoint on any level - in fact it probably raised the bar again as far as this series goes. The characters have their lives and loves laid bare in a world riven by conflict. It is so easy to pick up this book (and its predecessors in the series) and be pulled through the Veil into the world of the Sithe; or even to remain with them in our world when it suits them to live among us. Each book has introduced new characters - and has brought about the loss of loved ones. Wolfsbane is no different - and Hannah is a great addition to the Sithe world. The last line of this book is hauntingly beautiful - and I hope it is not too long (note to Author!) before I get to read the first line of the next one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another amazing book by the very talented Ms Philip!!, 19 Sep 2012
I decided to re read the first two books in the Rebel Angels series to get the very best out of Wolfsbane and I cried and I laughed and I cried all over again at Firebrand and Bloodstone. I was totally blown away by the first two books and had been waiting with baited breath for Wolfsbane. It certainly didn't disappoint!! Ms Philip's style of writing kept me engaged from page one and I couldn't put it down, a real page turner. The depth of feeling in this book (as well as the first two in the series) made the characters so real, I was totally emerged in the sithe world and all its beautiful landscapes and scenery. I felt every emotion conveyed by each of the strong characters and as desperately as I wanted to know what happened next, I also didn't want the book to end.
Having read dozens of books in a similar genre,I can honestly say that the Rebel Angels books are a must read and take pride of place in my collection!!
Many congratulations to Ms Philip for yet another amazing, captivating read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic - another terrific read from Gillian Philip, 12 Sep 2012
V. K. Evans (U.K.) - See all my reviews
I've been itching to get my hands on this since I read the first two in the Rebel Angels series and number 3 did not disappoint. They're a fabulous mix of Sithe world and ours - a true blending of fantasy and realism. I would advise you read them in sequence - you don't have to but why would you not? And it would help understand the premise of Book 3 if you know what's gone before. It took me little while to settle back into who everyone was and where the family connections lay in Wolfsbane but I was pretty soon hooked in again and , trust me, I learned what time distortion is all about.

I could not put this book down, evenings were lost, dinners were missed - I was late for the dentist because of this book. Philip writes such lovable rogues - you HAVE to know what happens to them. It ended too soon and now I want book 4!!! But not so long next time please - I think I'll just have to reread the others to tide me over.....

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling, 4 Dec 2012
The Rebel Angels series just gets better and better. Gillian Phillip has created an absolutely compelling world full of drama and violence and in the third instalment, Wolfsbane, the civil war between the rival Sithe factions becomes ever more deadly. Seth McGregor, now Captain of his clann, continues the fight against the evil Queen, Kate NicNiven, as she attempts to destroy the Veil that separates the Sithe world from our own. But Seth has enemies even amongst his own fighters and as he struggles to protect his son, Rory, he has to contend not only with Rory's rebelliousness, but also with his own pain and sense of guilt.
Rory, has grown from a baby in The Bloodstone to a teenager and we soon meet another difficult teen, Hannah. Rory's full human half brother, Jed has been in the Sithe world all this time, but now the fully Sithe, Finn, returns from exile on the other side of the Veil. Jed may be happy to see her, but she's certainly not welcomed by the whole clann. Seth remains the lynchpin of the story but, since the author has no compunction about killing off major characters, it's clear that even he isn't safe.
One of the joys of reading a series is becoming reacquainted with a familiar world and its inhabitants, but Philip's complex and exciting plots are edge of the seat stuff, full of surprises, and Wolfsbane doesn't disappoint in this respect. What keeps me hooked above all, however, is the need to follow the emotional journeys of characters I've come to know and love (or hate). Rebel Angels is classified as a YA series, but I can't recommend it highly enough for fantasy lovers of any age

5.0 out of 5 stars The Third Installment, 19 Mar 2013
This review is from: Wolfsbane: 3 (Rebel Angels) (Kindle Edition)
Seth and his kinsmen return again for the third book in this excellent series. More action, gore, blood and excitement. Just brilliant.

Wolfsbane: 3 (Rebel Angels)
Wolfsbane: 3 (Rebel Angels) by Gillian Philip