5.0 out of 5 stars Better than having twin or triple monitors
I had been considering a dual or triple monitor set-up for gaming but started looking at ultra wide displays as an alternative.

Published 14 months ago by GCW

3.0 out of 5 stars Fiddly Menu Buttons
Published 6 months ago by Kenni

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than having twin or triple monitors, 1 July 2013
GCW "scullsxx" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: LG 29EA93 29-inch Widescreen LED Monitor (Accessory)

Overall I really like the monitor, once you get used to it! After using a widescreen 23" it does initially feel like a really weird shape but you do get used to it pretty quick. The stand is easy to attach with two screws and you get tilt adjustment. You also get a power brick and loads of cables for connecting devices to the monitor - that in itself could save you a few quid. Connectivity is pretty good, apart from a DVI input you can also have 2 HDMI inputs, a USB lead for the built in hub that has sockets for three devices which is handy. There is also an input for the built in speakers and headphone and mike. The on-board speakers are functional but not stunning.

Playing games like Battlefield 3 on the monitor does make it more involving and more fun. Using programs like Word and Excel you get a lot more room for more pages side by side or columns across the screen. The only program I appear to have an issue with is Lightroom 5. It works fine on my old monitor but I get grey boxes instead of images on the LG widescreen. I've not found a solution for this yet (tried different resolutions and options within LR5 but no joy yet). Adobe Photoshop works fine and the screen makes editing panoramas a lot easier.

Update: The problem appears to be the app provided by LG for splitting the screen in to windows for different apps or programs. When playing PF3 it would rapidly switch between the game and the Battlelog web page. Uninstalling the LG app resolved this problem and also appears to have cured the Lightroom problem above.

Not really mentioned the screen quality yet. Well it is pretty good straight out of the box. After plugging it in and using it for a day or so I then calibrated it and the difference between out of the box and being calibrated was minimal. Photos and text are pleasing to look at.

One point to note if you are planning to wall mount the monitor, all input connections go straight in to the back of the monitor rather than into sockets vertically. This does mean it will not mount close to the wall - you will need to allow 3.5 to 4 inches behind it for cables to plug in.

To sum up, consider this monitor if your are thinking of going multi-screen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent monitor, 26 Jan 2014
This review is from: LG 29EA93 29-inch Widescreen LED Monitor (Accessory)
I bought this monitor for 2 reasons, gaming and productivity. It has a very slick design and just feels well made. It's very easy to tilt in comparison with my last LG monitor (W2486L). It is surprisingly heavy even without the stand which is fine as it aids to its low centre of gravity, making it feel nice and stable on your desk. The viewing angles are great with the exception of a negative tilt, though it does say in the manual to tilt it ever so slightly forwards, so that's fine.

There is subtle back light bleeding in the bottom left corner, which is only noticeable on dark images with little to no gradient (boot screen for example). This is hardly noticeable when playing games thankfully.

If you are using Windows 8.1 then I suggest avoiding the official driver and going with the Generic PnP monitor driver that Windows will use by default. For me the official driver caused excessive screen tearing during games, it's almost like it broke v-sync entirely. I even tried forcing my graphics card to not exceed 60fps and it still did not help. You can imagine at this point I was ready to give this a 1 star rating. Thankfully uninstalling the official driver and rebooting forces the Generic PnP monitor driver which completely obliterated screen tearing (at 60fps of course). I can't comment on other OS support as I haven't tried it.

The dual link up feature is limited as it can only accept the following combinations:
* HDMI 1 (left), DisplayPort (right) and vice versa
* HDMI 2/MHL (left), DisplayPort (right) and vice versa
* DVI (left), DisplayPort (right) and vice versa
So ultimately one of your sources needs to have DisplayPort. For this reason it would have been nice if it came with a DisplayPort cable.

The speakers aren't great quality but I don't expect speakers from a monitor anyway, it's more of a bonus and completely fine for voice. Music sounds tinny and games suffer if you plan to use the in-built speakers. I'd recommend just plugging headphones or speakers into the audio out port (if you're using sound over HDMI or DisplayPort especially)

Menu navigation is quite difficult as the touch sensitive buttons are on the underside of the monitor and there is no illumination on the button icons on the front. this makes it difficult to see which one you're pressing unless you have a light source hitting it directly.

A USB3 hub is a nice feature and is a little more accessible than getting in behind my PC.

Despite the few gripes, I love this monitor. Games looks great in super wide aspect ratio which really surprised me. The ability to have 2 windows side by side and still see everything is great (web pages especially). It's feels much more ergonomic than having 2 monitors.

p.s. I would avoid using the split screen software. All it seems to do is resize windows on your desktop and essentially snap them to corners of the screen. This actually crashed Google Chrome numerous times when installed. It also broke some features of Visual Studio 2013. Again this may be specific to Windows 8.1.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fiddly Menu Buttons, 7 Feb 2014
This review is from: LG 29EA93 29-inch Widescreen LED Monitor (Accessory)
I am pretty sure that monitor has given me the hardest time to date of any monitor. Firstly I was unable to get it running at 2560 x 1080 on the DVI-D port, so had to switch to hdmi (luckily I have one on my PC, although my old monitor was on the DVI-D). Trying to switch input e.g. from DVI-D to HDMI, involves navigating through on-screen menus using the tiny, virtually hidden, touch sensitive buttons located under the lower edge of the display - not that easy a task I found.

With it finally working the picture seems fine, although some of the reds appear pinker than on my old monitor. Everything was going fine until the sun came out. Although the light was falling on my desk, and not the monitor, the glare coming off the screen made viewing very difficult.

With so many inputs, I decided to add a Toshiba dvd player. The picture from it fills the screen really well, and watching films is a pleasure. There would be no complaints in the mode at all if could have got picture-in-picture working and switching between the input between DVD and computer, and vice versa, didn't require going through the menus each time.

I was very tempted to give it a worse rating, however, I bought this monitor for its extensive 2560 x 1080 desktop real estate and its sleek, low-profile design, whose small bezel and 21:9 aspect ratio means it sits around the same height as a 17" monitor. For me, this, LG have got right,

5.0 out of 5 stars Great monitor overall, 10 Oct 2013
This review is from: LG 29EA93 29-inch Widescreen LED Monitor (Accessory)
I am professional, technical artist in Microsoft and using this monitor with different signal sources - PC, MacBook Pro, PS3 and XBOX 360 at home.

I never had any single problem. Monitor is very bright, smart and colourful. Maybe not ideal in switching between sources (censor buttons quite sensitive) but it's OK.

Very good for text editing, graphics, and brilliant for movie watching, especially because of build-in speakers. I am very happy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Amazing, 25 Dec 2013
H. S. Hussain - See all my reviews
This review is from: LG 29EA93 29-inch Widescreen LED Monitor (Accessory)
So first off lets address some other peoples negative reviews I have seen; the first is someone complaining about the experience, well you can't really say a product deserves 1 star just cause you didnt like the 21:9 Aspect Ratio, now on that note I love the 21:9 Aspect Ratio as it provides a nice seamless amount of monitor real estate to do work. Another negative point people have made is the fact its not "edge to edge", well I find it funny that people expect edge to edge displays, this display's bezel is smaller than most monitors of this size which makes it a very nice viewing experience when viewing movies or video games.

Now my experience, I have already said that I love the 21:9 Aspect Ratio because it allows me to have more monitor real estate to do work or productivity. Also this aspect ratio is amazing for games AND PERFECT for movies, now anybody who says that this is bad for movies is lying and wrong. Now all Blu-Rays and most DVDs are configured for 2.35:1 or 2.40:1 now it will say on the box 16:9 BUT the actual aspect ratio of the movie is 2.35:1 or 2.40:1 which is the same as 21:9 because 16:9 is 1.77:9 cause if you divide 16 by 9 you get 1.77 and if you do that with 21 you get 2.33 which is very close to 2.35 and 2.40. Now yes you do need the right software for this to work as most movie software is configured only for 16:9 but ArcSoft Total Media Theatre does play at 21:9 which removes the black bars and makes the experience amazing because the black bars are there cause the movie image has been shrunk to fit the 16:9 but once you increase the movie size to its original aspect ratio it fits 21:9 perfectly.

Now gaming is amazing, I have had problems with some games not supporting 21:9 but that is because they do not support FOV (Field of View) which is what games use to fill in monitor real estate, especially in Eyefinity or Nvidia Surround but most of my Steam games and all my indies games AND all my Steam Early Alpha/Beta games support 21:9 nativly with no issues which means I can prove that close to 200 games support this aspect ratio and I know way more support it to. Now in response to people complaining about its 5ms response time, I see no lag or screen taring at all with this monitor, there is no motion blue or anything of the sort this monitor responds fast and is just fine for gaming, work or movies.

Now lets get to build, design and picture quality. First build; this monitor is built very well with a very nice attention to detail which I love, there are still some details I am finding today and I have had this a while. Secondly the design; the design is great and fits right inside a clean, neat and well organised workstation plus the design is so simple, elegant and neat it fits my OT OCD. Finally the picture quality; now the picture quality is brilliant as we have come to expect of an IPS display, I can't fault it one bit and would recommend any IPS panel because the picture quality is outstanding.

So overall I recommend this monitor to anyone who is looking at getting either dual monitors or triple monitors because this gives around 80-90% of the enjoyment that triple monitors gives but without the need for loads more space and the annoyance of the monitor bezels getting in the way. This is easily a 95/100 with no questions asked, now anyone who tells you differently to me better have some hard evidence to prove me wrong otherwise they are just lying because I have this monitor and I have done so much on it putting in around 15 hours a day on it and I have had this a while so I think my opinion is perfectly valid.

5.0 out of 5 stars Monster Monitor, 6 Mar 2013
This review is from: LG 29EA93 29-inch Widescreen LED Monitor (Accessory)
Excellent for multi tasking and suprisingly good for watching films in the widescreen format

Lack of information available on the product and connections on rear of monitor could be more universal

However after goodafetr support fro LG more than happy with product

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this monitor, 3 Feb 2014
This review is from: LG 29EA93 29-inch Widescreen LED Monitor (Accessory)
Quick delivery thank to Amazon Prime.
The monitor is excellent and can't fault it at all. The colours are true to life and the sound quality is very good.
The widescreen aspect ratio really does help get a lot more work done especially when it come to video editing and motion graphics animation.
This is definitely one of the best purchases I have made in a while.

5.0 out of 5 stars great buy worth the money, 1 May 2014
This review is from: LG 29EA93 29-inch Widescreen LED Monitor (Accessory)
I have been in the market for a good monitor setup for a while. After looking around at many different options two monitor setup three monitors etc i came to the conclusion that buying a ultra wide screen would work the best for my needs. She screen is top quality and also comes with some software to split the monitor into different sections to allow better productivity (I typically have the screen setup for 3 A4 documents).

I also game on this monitor as the picture quality is amazing and really help with the feeling of being in the game due to the ultra wide ratio. one point to let potential buyers know is to get the full screen resolution to work you will need to buy a display port connection for your mac these are around 7 GBP and can be found on amazon.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great monitor with room or improvement., 15 July 2013
Jan-Wouter A. (Hilversum, NHOL Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LG 29EA93 29-inch Widescreen LED Monitor (Accessory)
I've had this monitor for a few weeks now and I'm very happy with its performance. The screen looks great, even for an IPS screen; rivalling that of an iMac even. And the aspect ratio certainly makes a lot of tasks from editing video to playing Skyrim much more enjoyable.

Important to note however is that LG's marketing materials are all fake and that the inner bezel of this monitor is actually a lot larger than the marketing pictures (also on this Amazon page) make it out to be. The left and right borders are easily 3-4cm. While the top one is 2-3cm.

The tip-touch buttons are a bit awkward too where the markings can simply not be seen in any but the most ideal light while, being tip-touch, they can not be "felt-out" since just brushing them with your finger activates them.

5.0 out of 5 stars LG EA93, 6 May 2013
This review is from: LG 29EA93 29-inch Widescreen LED Monitor (Accessory)
Amazing monitor brought this for gaming and it looks fantastic currently playing guild wars 2 which it brings to life worth every penny get one asap

LG 29EA93 29-inch Widescreen LED Monitor