5.0 out of 5 stars "A Dark Fugue" and "The Wolves of Styria"
First, let me disclose that I know the author, and so with that admission out of the way let's get on with the review.

The Wolves of Styria is a full length story created by infusing "Carmilla", J.S. Le Fanu's vampiric original, with liberal helpings of Lycanthropy.

Published 8 months ago by Mr Misery

3.0 out of 5 stars If you're a fan of vampires and werewolves, this is for you!
I've been a fan of J. Sheridan Le Fanu work for years. Carmilla is one of the first stories of his that I read and it's one of my favourites. Naturally, I was a bit sceptical when I came across this rewrite. David Brian, however, succeeded in writing a thrilling extension to the original story. It's a quite page turner.

So, if you're looking for a novel with a...
Published 14 months ago by Dylan Rush

5.0 out of 5 stars "A Dark Fugue" and "The Wolves of Styria", 29 Dec 2013

I've used Project Gutenberg to access Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu's original text, and I have to say that, for me at least, Brian's device for managing the transition between his and Le Fanu's text works seamlessly.

Brian's additions do not in any way distract from, or depreciate Le Fanu's original.

I'm not going to go into any details of the story; however, what I will say is forget Stephenie Meyer's Twilight Romances, there are no parallels here, this is altogether a far darker work.

Not my usual genre but a good unsettling read that kept me turning the pages.

A Dark Fugue is an equally dark short story that kept me turning the pages, it combines vampiric and lycanthropic elements, uses characters from The Wolves Of Styria" and could be considered as a prelude to The Wolves of Styria.

I want to know more about this world and it's inhabitants!

3.0 out of 5 stars If you're a fan of vampires and werewolves, this is for you!, 3 July 2013

So, if you're looking for a novel with a lot of depth, this is not it. If you're looking for a good story about vampires and werewolves that will have you on the edge your seat, this is for you.

The book was imprited by Amazon. It's a nice clean bind. The only thing that really annoyed me were the many spelling and interpunction errors.

5.0 out of 5 stars Captivating and Addictive., 29 May 2013
This review is from: Carmilla - The Wolves of Styria (Kindle Edition)
'Shy and strange was the look with which she quickly hid her face in my neck and hair, with tumultuous sighs, that seemed almost to sob, and pressed in mine a hand that trembled. Her soft cheek was glowing against mine, and I felt again that strangest of aches in the pit of my stomach, for something of which I knew not.'

PLOT

Laura Bennett, a young Woman living with her Father in Styria, is bored. Apart from the occasional visit from some of her acquaintances, each day is spent either with her Father, or with their servants. Laura is desperate for some company of her own age, and seems to get her wish, when a strange young Woman, named Carmilla arrives outside of her home by chance.

Carmilla's Mother leaves her in the care of Laura's father, fearing that if Carmilla is to travel any further, it could damage her already delicate health. Laura is over the moon with Carmilla, and the two soon develop a strong bond. A controversial Romance blossoms between the pair, and as each day passes, Laura starts to notice that there is something peculiar about Carmilla.

Why is she walking in the grounds of Laura's house late at night? How did she get out of her room without unlocking the door or the window? Why is she always so devoid of energy?Laura is about to discover the truth about Carmilla, and it will shock her and everybody that's close to her.

The story is told in the past tense, through a series of letters and journal entries, written by Laura and other's involved.

OPINION

I found this book incredibly interesting. The story is an adaptation of the original Gothic Romance, Carmilla. After reading this, I feel the need to read the original too, because I took great interest in this book. It was refreshing to read a Vampire story that is so different from the modern ones we have now, and I thought that this was incredibly well written full of beautiful language and flowing dialogue.

THE AUTHOR

The original version of this book, Carmilla, was written by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu. David Brian, a fan of the original book, adapted it and added his own touch. I was actually given this book for free, through a giveaway from the Author, and I'm incredibly grateful, since it is a fantastic book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enthralling and horrifying!, 30 Jan 2014
This is a really interesting book. Totally different to most vampire stuff currently doing the rounds. Very dark and mysterious, and with a number of sub plots. A really good horror/mystery which kept me guessing right the way through.

Carmilla - The Wolves of Styria