Prog rocks premier tunesmith hits the right note again, and album full of light and shade clocking in at a shade under 60 minutes the six tracks that make up this album contain more ideas that a dozen `Take That' albums.

The album is paced well, opening with `Luminol' (already known to fans from the Get All You Deserve Live album also available on Amazon), and for my mind the weakest of the tracks setting the tone from the album. Sweeping passages, chunky bass, flute, mellotron, and fire cracker drumming the works packed into the 12 minutes of song. The albums other 5 tracks pack a punch are dynamic while the closer the eponymous track the Raven closes the album gently and wanting more. I particularly like `The Watchmaker' and `the Holy drinker'.

For those buying the Blu ray version you also will not be disappointed Progs premier 5.1 fettler has again hit the mark, Steven definitely gets 5.1 and knows how to produce a good mix. The extras especially on the blu ray make that the go to package unless you can get hold of the limited and completely sold deluxe all disc book/box.

Buy with the confidence that Steven Wilson has pulled off another superb album, Porcupine Tree may be on hiatus, this more than makes up.
on 21 June 2014
Well, this is a review I two parts basically. One for the product, and the other for the album.
I do not use the term lightly, but I think that this is Mr Wilson's opus. This has got to be one of his best pieces of music, including Porcupine tree etc. the album definitely has it's roots in the past, with the obvious references to King Crimson, Tull etc, but for me that 's where it ends. The album has everything from blistering guitars to atmospheric soundscapes. And I think that this is one of the reasons why the album is so good. Steven Wilson treats music as a master craftsman, orchestrating each track with precision ., gently teasing the best from each individual musician This man genuinely cares about how the product should sound, and goodness me, does he get everything right on this offering. Which leads me on to the blu ray edition. Does it add anything to the original album? Or is it just another fad like coloured vinyl /picture discs were in the seventies and eighties. For me, this actually enhances the album, true it's not loaded with interesting pictures to visually entertain as well as edify the listening pleasure,. This is a good thing, it helps you focus on the music- as it should be. The production of it is excellent. This is my first musical blu ray, each note iand scratch of guitar string is clearly audible,. Am I a convert to blu ray music - hell yes!
on 26 March 2013
What a lazy git this man is - sometimes you have to wait - ooohhh - weeks for new product!
Seriously though, I don't know how he does it. This is a fantastic mix of beautiful, haunting melody and frighteningly difficult discord, with all points between pretty much covered.

As always, the sound is immaculate too.

I got my copy signed in Love Music in Glasgow on the day of his gig at ABC. That was brilliant too!!
on 1 December 2013
Most certainly the best buy this year . The music is fantastic , the playing superbe. One can hear clearly that he wrote this stuff for this band. If grace for drowning made me feel a bit of " why not 1 cd ? " , this one is perfect in timing. What's more ? The band is even better live. The live versions from Grace or better worked out on stage , the live versions for The Raven or more in line with the originals but or also better . Nick Beggs : saw him live with Steve Hackett and here he fits perfectly. Anything bad ? no . This album will be best album for 2013 20 and who knows , will ever enter my top 10 of best albums of all time, and then it will sit in the list with CTTE and Lark's tongues in Aspic ,both remastered by ? yes SW . Can't wait for the next release , and no I'm not writing for the managment of SW .
on 9 April 2013
I've loved everything that the porcupine tree have done. Now while I've enjoyed his previous two solo offerings, but never as much as his work with the Porcupine tree. But this album is amazing. As good or better than anything he's done before. Just love this album and when it's on, I never want it to end. And this is the bluray version with stunning audio quality and it's mixed so well. The DTS HD Master 5.1 is just beautiful, so long as your hifi's up to it. A great demonstration of what can be done with audio.
So a great purchase. Get it, you won't regret it.
on 14 March 2013
This is a very ambitious album once again. This time it's more stripped back with a more 'live' feel. The backing musicians are all top of their game, everyone contributes equally to the quality of the music within.
As a BluRay audio disc the sound is spectacular with a great balance of drums, bass and guitar including keyboards and horns mixed in all over the mix. It's something you need to hear at a decent volume.
The first time I played this at a low volume I did not quite get into it. The next time with all the speakers pumping I was able to enjoy the amazing mix of sound and some great songs that Steven has given us again. There is a lot of bonus versions of the same songs in demo format or instrumental versions. As of yet I have not seen any music videos which is disappointing.

I am looking forward to the next project SW intends to do.
on 14 March 2014
I don't think I need to do an album review for this. It was, for me, certainly the best album of 2013 and probably one of the finest prig albums I've ever heard. I'm not a Porcupine Tree fan and since getting into Steven Wilson's solo work have attempted but failed. For me, he shines as a solo artist. It's clear that a genius needs a 'no compromise' environment to fully realise their potential and this album is testament to that. If you like Floyd, Gen, Tull, Crimson, Maril, Yes etc.. then I challenge you to dislike this album.
on 9 May 2013
If you want to hear music in the highest possible sound quality, then this is a must buy. It is thanks to people like Steven Wilson that, hopefully, will mean the demise of poor quality mp3's. Are you listening Apple and the likes? Why on earth would I want to spend a small fortune on my HiFi and then feed it mp3 garbage? Once again, thanks to Steven and his production team for this wonderful blue ray disc. Buy it without hesitation. Lastly, the HD Master Audio surround mixes are stunning.
on 5 January 2015
Very good disc with visuals as well as H.D Audio in 5.1 sound and stereo option this is a complete album on a Blu-ray disc. Good song writing and excellent playing not a bad track with minimal graphics as the album plays with good effect with the black background sound is very clean in H.D Audio sound in 5.1 a good audio test disc for any sound system i highly recommend this if you like instrumental rock jazz and prog rock
on 12 April 2013
This is by far SW best work as solo project - really enjoyable from the beginning...

Sound quality can be noted even in my car stereo (a crappy one) but you get the full thing when properly play. I love the mix, all instruments get their space without messing others. You need to play Luminol full volume (or what your neighbors can resist) and that one will convince you buy an excellent bluray.