5.0 out of 5 stars The Holy Drinker
Prog rocks premier tunesmith hits the right note again, and album full of light and shade clocking in at a shade under 60 minutes the six tracks that make up this album contain more ideas that a dozen `Take That' albums.

The album is paced well, opening with `Luminol' (already known to fans from the Get All You Deserve Live album also available on Amazon), and...
Published 20 months ago by Fletch-a-sketch

3.0 out of 5 stars Hit and miss - but boy the high points are worth it
Steven seems to have ventured into more of a Frank Zappa approach, mixing in Genesis, Rush, Jazz and all manner of bubbling hot-pot music. It is accomplished but not stirring; the very thing I have always followed PT/Wilson for is gone in this album. I found his previous album "Grace For Drowning" wanting, too, for the very same reason.

Having said that, I...
Published 19 months ago by Michael Hughes

3.0 out of 5 stars Hit and miss - but boy the high points are worth it, 7 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Raven That Refused To Sing (And Other Stories) [Blu-ray] [2013] [Region Free] (Blu-ray)

Having said that, I found DRIVE HOME to be so beautiful that it was worth the price alone. The title track brings me to near tears and I do not know why - it is so emotive, I find myself looking at my life and wondering what went wrong. Deep emotive stuff. For those tracks alone this album is worth it but I do fear Steven is falling short now of his best by knocking out regular rather than rich material.

5.0 out of 5 stars How does he do it!!, 27 Mar 2013
Yet again Steven Wilson has come up with the goods. The workrate and quality of all of his projects is absolutely prolific. This second solo album demonstrates musicianship of the highest quality and the 5:1 surround mix on the blu ray is the best i have ever heard. The Watchmaker, the title track and Drive Home are personal favourites, the latter reminding me of the very best of his Blackfield output. Buy with confidence and roll on the next Porcupine Tree album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Blu-ray, 29 Nov 2013
I love this album, so much so that I now own it in four formats; CD, 16 bit FLAC, vinyl and now Blu-ray. The album itself has been extensively reviewed by others, so my input regards the different formats.

Initially I bought the CD and converted it to 16 bit FLAC. This is my preferred choice for everyday listening. I enjoyed the album so much I forked out for the double vinyl version. If you can live with its various foibles, vinyl still out-shines all the other formats. I am very happy with the vinyl. I toyed with the idea of downloading the 24 bit FLAC version, but so far I have been bitterly disappointed with 24 bit downloads; all have sounded worse than the 16 bit versions. This may sound counter-intuitive, but there are reasons for this and there are many articles out there explaining this phenomenon. Years ago I had tried DVD-A. This was also fairly terrible. Was Blu-ray worth a gamble? After all, the Blu-ray version of The Raven (etc) is currently cheaper than the CD and half the price of vinyl. A good experiment, I thought. Was I impressed? Oh yes.

Played through a mid range Panasonic Blu-ray player and Pioneer receiver I was astounded. My A/V setup only uses small satellite speakers (with centre channel and sub-woofer obviously). The audio part of the A/V setup cost less than the cartridge in my main music system, but this album sounded brilliant, dynamic and totally immersive. Steve Wilson, a great band and Alan Parsons in engineering, this might be a fluke, or possibly the future for high quality recorded music?

5.0 out of 5 stars This Raven Does, 16 July 2014
cool album, delivered as advertised

4.0 out of 5 stars A little disappointed, 5 Mar 2013
R. Pearsall "Kahonen" (Hants, UK) - See all my reviews
Review is for blu-ray version.

I'm gonna get a hard time for this but this left me a little cold! Strange thing is I really don't know why, it's just not what I expected. There's nothing really wrong with it and for any other band/performer it would be 5 stars. Problem is, Steven Wilson sets the bar so high that people expect so much.

Individually, the tracks are superb, but the overall blu-ray package just doesn't do it. Where is the video for "Raven" that was released in advance and is now on YouTube, for example? I'd much rather have that than the instrumental versions of all the tracks plus the "lounge version" of one of them. The Grace for Drowning blu-ray (7.5 stars if it was possible) had much more content than the Raven blu-ray. I shouldn't need to grab the HD version of the Youtube video and add the 5.1 music myself.

If I was reviewing the CD, this would have been well worth 5 stars. The blu-ray just leaves me a little disappointed. Anyone buying the blu-ray, needs to check the content and see if you really want to buy it or whether the CD will suffice.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what was expected, 14 Feb 2014
I didn't really know what to expect from this, and, having bought the album on CD, expected something more than just still images and the tracks with some footage of how it was recorded. I thought each song might have a video similar to Drive Home and The Raven which you can view freely on you-tube or Steven Wilson's own site. So I was rather disappointed to find myself just listening to the album on TV - even the title track's video was absent...so I don't really know what the point of this DVD is and I rate it as 3 stars only for the interest I have for the recording process itself of which there were excerpts although it was far from a documentary.
To be honest I hoped for more especially at that price and also as I had already purchased the album.

3.0 out of 5 stars Time to go back to Porcupine Tree, 7 April 2013
After hearing his latest offering I do think it is time for S.Wilson to go back to Porcupine Tree before he disappears up his own arse.

2.0 out of 5 stars Is Steven Wilson the "Saviour" of Surround Sound music ??, 17 Jun 2013
Mr. R. Haden "hdrob9" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
For me, the answer is NO.
There's one very good song on this disc, and that's "Drive Home" Ironically, it's not a Prog Rock song, ( along with the title track ? ) but SW has tried to give it a Prog Rock feel towards the end of it, which spoils the "body" of a very good song. If I were SW i'd ditch the Prog Rock elements of his music. ( along with his drummer !!...but that's another story !! )
I also expected the surround mix to be better, from reviews that i'd read beforehand. I wasn't blown away by them. SW's not a bad vocalist at all, probably one of the pluses, but the vocals are too low in the mix, and overwhelmed by the musical instrumentation.
If it wasn't for "Drive Home" I would have given this one star.