on 11 January 2013
I'm a long-time fan of Les Misérables and I was eagerly awaiting the release of another interpretation of the classic musical. I won't discuss the film here, but will concentrate on this album.

There are 20 songs on the disk, less than half of the 49 in the film. This is clearly listed as a highlights album so I don't believe it is at all misleading, but I thought it important to stress that fact here in the review. Some of the omissions are a surprise to me; notably "Come to Me", "Do You Hear the People Sing?" and "A Little Fall of Rain" - all iconic songs for the musical in my personal opinion (plus I'd have liked to have "Little People" included as it's one I enjoy a lot). However, included is "Suddenly", a new song for the film, and the songs that are included are very strong.

Of the songs on the disk some stand out and I would like to comment on them...

Anne Hathaway's rendition of "I Dreamed a Dream", a portion of which was used in the trailer and has gone far and wide across the internet, is the run-away piece of this compilation for me. From it's jarring and quiet start it rides a roller-coaster of emotion and is truly amazing.

"A Heart Full of Love" shows the vocal talents of the singing actors exceptionally well as they sing together. You can feel the passion in the piece, and things like this show exactly why the cast singing live together was a great choice.

"On My own" has been my favourite song from the musical, from the very first time listening to it, and Samantha Barks doesn't disappoint as she delivers it exceptionally.

One final nod goes to the unlikely pairing of Sacha Baron Cohen and Helena Bonham Carter for "Master of the House". Although I have read a couple of articles expressing that maybe they weren't ideal choices for the film (and my wife was very unsure about "Borat doing Les Mis") they perform a brilliant and funny double act. Great stuff. Nobody else will truly be Thénardier for me after this!

The quality of the recordings is very good, though the large ensemble numbers (such as "Master of the House") can sometimes get a little hard to follow some of the lyrics with a large number of background singers - the only thing that is a negative to the idea of the actors singing live.

All-in-all this is a great version of an amazing musical. I'm very positive about this (as I am sure you have detected through my subtle review...) and I have no hesitation in giving it a five-star review as it is fantastic soundtrack collection. My one caveat (and may seem contrary to the five-star review, but I don't believe so) is that if you want the whole soundtrack, this isn't it and don't buy it (I chose to buy it in the hope that sales will drive an earlier release of the full soundtrack). What is here, however, is more than worth the £4.99 it cost me.
1010 comments|259 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 January 2013
I came back from the cinema buzzing after seeing this film and couldn't wait to get the soundtrack.

'Ok' I said to my boyfriend (who is a huge Les Mis fan) '.. which one is the song?'

'Which song?'

'You know... THE song... do you hear the people sing, singing the songs of angry men, it is the music of a people...?'

'Oh, it's just called "Do you hear the people sing?"'

... and then we both looked for it, and it wasn't there. I couldn't believe it! We played every song on here just in case it was called something different, but nope.

As other people have said, I know it's only meant to be the highlights, but the biggest song from the film, which has been in my head for days, isn't on here. I have no idea why! The whole story is about the french revolution and this is THE song which gets to the heart of that. So 2 stars I'm afraid!
2323 comments|166 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 January 2013
In my opinion the best Les Mis vocal recording is the 10th anniversary Gala Performance recorded at the Royal Albert Hall. The film is wonderful, but that is mainly down to the acting, the sets etc. The singing (recorded live whilst filming) is less than perfect although completely appropriate in the film. This recording is also Highlights only and a lot of memorable songs are not included
on 5 March 2013
Can't sing any of them. Tenth anniversary recording so much better. Better they had singers who could act than vice versa
on 18 January 2013
This soundtrack is excellent and as you listen, it reminds you of the various parts of the film. Thoroughly enjoyable and at a great price this week...half the price of itunes!!Les Misérables: Highlights From The Motion Picture Soundtrack
on 20 January 2013
What a fantastic soundtrack! ever song still has all the emotion that was in the film unlike some that just record a 'nicer' version. sad that some of the songs I loved didn't make it on the album guess ill just have to wait till the DVD 😊
on 25 February 2013
Les miserables
Only 2 tunes with recognisable appeal to my unsophisticated musical taste and then only a couple of bars the rest just a noise-must have to get into the mood.
didnt even order it -got my money back
I have seen the stage musical `Les Misérables' a number of times in London, Manchester and Edinburgh and each time I have been mesmerised by the music. Also I have CDs of `The Original London Cast' and the `Anniversary Concert' and have spent many hours enthralled by what I hear. It was with some misgivings that I went to see the recently released film version, and yet happily, even though very different from the stage musical, in its own way it was majestic and moving - and the film is certainly 5-star. Unfortunately the same cannot be said of the CD `Les Misérables: Highlights From The Motion Picture Soundtrack'. It must immediately be realised this is just "highlights" - but the tastes of whoever made the selection is at a variance with mine. Where are some of what I believe to be the best numbers - such as `Do You Hear The People Sing' apart from a few bars in the `Epilogue'. Also there are omissions within the songs - such as the magnificent last line `I Will Be There' in Javert's and Jean Valjean's `Confrontation'.

In spite of these sins of omission there is an extra pleasing number `Suddenly' to support Valjean's journey, and there are clever insertions of dialogue to link scenes and times. Furthermore as a film without the need to project sound throughout live theatre considerable effective use is made of quietly singing to the camera - as with Fantine's `I Dreamed A Dream' or Eponine's `On My Own'. I could be quite picky about some of the singing - Javert is not sufficiently forceful, or Cosette (older) is too shrill, but Valjean and Marius are both excellent, and my concentration was on the great advantage of film in using close ups to focus on faces and other individual features, and to bring exciting action into play. I have to acknowledge this works extremely well and the result is a powerfully evocative film to match the splendour of the original musical - but this is visual - I don't see this whilst listening to the CD. I appreciate it was a deliberate decision to have actors sing their own parts - but oh what would I give for a DVD of this new film dubbed by the singing of the `Original London Cast'.
on 19 January 2013
This is lovely - very evocative - even if it isn't the complete soundtrack. It has my favourite songs on it. Now all I need is a babysitter so my husband and I can go and see the film!
on 24 January 2013
Need I say more ....How can they release an album without -Do you hear the people sing.....short changed and Very disappointed