5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational
Published on 14 Nov. 2012 by skass

3.0 out of 5 stars Book ok
I bought this to rad to give me some reassurance. Personally I wished I bought the cd version, it's good but I ended up buying other inspirational cd's.
Published on 26 Feb. 2013 by Pamela

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, 14 Nov. 2012
The Hypnobirthing Book: An Inspirational Guide for a Calm, Confident, Natural BirthHaving discovered the Hypnobirthing method I wanted to learn more. I read the reviews on Katharine Graves' book and like other people thought it would be more relevant to me than other books available due to being written from an English perspective and with references to the NHS.Having purchased it, it lives up to my expectations , it is clear and not only easy to read but easy to use. I would highly recommend this book to any pregnant mum seeking to use the Hypnobirthing method.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading for all Parents to be, 8 Nov. 2012
What a breath of fresh air this approach has for childbirth, it has really changed my whole attitude and can't wait to have my baby. Don't listen to all those horror stories other Mum's tell you, just read this book and enjoy! It is well laid out and easy to read. I have also invested in some of the relaxation CD's done by Katharine so when they arrive I can do all my homework!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic.....I must for pregnancy and birth, 8 Nov. 2012
As a midwife and mother of 3 it is so refreshing to have a book which works for the UK maternity system, where the focus is not on pain relief but real tools that work and teach women to relax and have a positive birth experience. Katherine Graves is a true inspiration......

5.0 out of 5 stars Help me achieve my 'healing birth', 20 Dec. 2014
This review is from: The Hypnobirthing Book: An Inspirational Guide for a Calm, Confident, Natural Birth (Kindle Edition)
As a midwife myself it was very interesting reading this book to see it from both sides. And I think it is pitched perfectly.
I bought this book in my second pregnancy as I was determined not to have a repeat of my first Labour and birth, which was very long, full of fear and ended with an emergency section and an extremely long, painful and difficult recovery period postnatally.
This book helped me so much to stay positive, focused, determined and to let go of the fear of my previous birth being repeated.
The visualizations and positive affirmations in particular were a great help to me.
I'm writing this review 5 days after my normal, swift and happy birth experience. And I could not feel more different than last time. It's amazing. Thank you Katharine Graves!
During Labour the 'up breathing' technique and the squatting helped me enormously. I achieved a VBAC with just some entonox, in 3hrs of being in the hospital. 7hrs from first period pain to all done! It was my dream healing birth and it means the world to me. I will be recommending this book to everyone!

5.0 out of 5 stars The book we've been waiting for!, 18 Dec. 2012
This lovely, readable and unfussy book is the perfect gift for a newly pregnant first-time mum and her partner. Becoming a parent is such a big thing that it seems to me it is worth doing it right or at least as well as you can manage; and as a doula and hypnobirthing teacher I have no doubt at all that the gentle, commonsense approach which Katharine has to using hypnosis for childbirth and deep relaxation is the best out there. This is THE book to get if you are in the UK, much rather than one of the other US books which I find tend to be irrelevant to the UK childbirth experience. Hypnobirthing is becoming part of the scene within NHS maternity units much faster than in the USA; we have more normal births and more home births, and the funding of the NHS drives the preference for maximising normal birth rates. So the often strident and campaigning tone of other books with the word "hypnobirthing" in the title is really not needed here.
I strongly recommend this book to all clients coming to me for antenatal preparation. [...]

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm not the kind of person who reads such books, 18 Feb. 2014
I have tried yoga and meditation before and never quite gotten the hang of becoming zen. My life has always been hectic and so instead of focusing on waterfalls and sun rises, I was making shopping lists and remembering forgotten actions from the day. However I chose to buy the book on recommendation of my midwife. I'm glad I did. I still can't get the hang of drifting of to serene places but the book contains so much more. The common sense, no nonsense writing left me asking the right questions of myself and my pregnancy. I felt in a much better place for reading the book, from an anatomical education helping me to understand what my body is going through to the reassurance that my experiences, concerns and worries are quite normal. I'd recommend this read to any mother-to-be. Even those who are not convinced by hypnobirthing...yet!

5.0 out of 5 stars At last - a Hypnobirthing book with a UK perspective, 12 Nov. 2012
What I really liked about this book is that it has an English author whereas most Hypnobirthing books out there have an American perspective or are targeted at an American audience. I'm not saying this is necessarily bad, but having something written in a language and tone of voice I'm more comfortable with and using more familiar cultural references is great. It also means that the section on how the childbirth system works in the UK, and the NHS in particular is actually relevant.
This book is also really informative and well written. I attended a course with Katharine before the birth of my son, and she gave us an advance copy of this book which complemented what she was teaching us. But what's good about it is that I think it also works as a standalone if you can't get to one of her courses.
As well as background information on childbirth and labour, it includes practical information like relaxation exercises and positive birth statements. There's also a nicereading list at the end if you want more information. Katharine also has some relaxation CDs which may be of additional help to expectant mothers - my colleague used them and said she found them really helpful.
I was always very sceptical about 'alternative' methods of childbirth and assumed that when it was my turn I'd go for the full hospital route of hot & cold running doctors, midwives and epidurals-on-demand. But one of my colleagues kept nagging me to take a look at hypnobirthing as she'd used this method and found it had really worked for her. If only to shut her up, I decided to take a look and was really surprised, as hypnobirthing, broken down into its simplest form, is about using self-hypnosis to have a relaxed childbirth. She recommended Katharine to me and I was lucky enough to have classes with her. She was really inspirational and made me feel that I really could use this method with confidence. And I did!

3.0 out of 5 stars Book ok, 26 Feb. 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars interesting ideas for a natural birth, 21 Jun. 2014
Introduced through a friend who teaches hypnobirthing. First pregnancy and never been near a hospital, wanted something to help me focus my mind and find a way of giving birth without the tubes, wires and drugs. Accompanying CD is excellent too. Will see how it goes in three months!

5.0 out of 5 stars A gem!, 29 Nov. 2012
Katharine Graves' Hypnobirthing book is infused with the same love, knowledge and wisdom that she pours into her increasingly popular Hypnobirthing courses. It is so easy to read, it's just as if she was in the room talking to you and it covers every angle in plain English. The content of this book will empower all parents-to-be who invest in it. It will help them to more fully understand the birthing process, their rights and how to ensure - assertively - that they get them, and how to best help themselves and their baby both before and during labour. I do wish that I had had access to this book when I had my first baby 35 years ago! It is also an inspirational, must-have resource for Hypnobirthing teachers everywhere.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›