5.0 out of 5 stars I'm not a crime lover but I love Haynes' style! Clever, shocking and utterly unputdownable
Loved it! Another winner from Haynes.

Annabel works as an analyst for the police. She lives with her cat, has no friends and cares for her housebound mother. One night she finds her neighbour's dead body, sat at home, apparently starved to death. Soon after, she notices a pattern of vastly increasing similar suicides in the town, all of lonely and vulnerable...
Published 15 months ago by K. J. Noyes

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what I was expecting
I thought I had bought a thriller but I wouldn't really describe it as such. I found it boring yet I suppose a bit intriguing at the same time, in that I wanted to finish the book not only to see what happened but also so that I could get it over with. It was very difficult to be interested in the main characters especially Annabell as I just couldn't get to grips with...
Published 6 months ago by Emcontroller

‹ Previous | 1 2 329 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Dull and repetitive, 26 April 2013
This review is from: Human Remains (Paperback)
I'm another reader who was terribly disappointed by this book. I read and loved both her first 2 books Into the Darkest Corner and Revenge of the Tide so I could hardly wait to get my hands on her latest offering, especially as several friends whose tastes are similar to mine - loved it.

It was pretty awful, I was so exasperated with the main character Annabel - I just couldn't warm to her and the disgusting and disturbed Colin just made me feel nauseous, but there was none of that tension building, page turning urgency of her other books just a dreary, repetitive inevitability which had hardly any hidden depths or twists.

I can't recommend this but would highly recommend the authors' other 2 books if you haven't read them yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Human Remains by Elizabeth Haynes, 18 July 2014
Mrs (Macclesfield, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Human Remains (Kindle Edition)
I found as I read the story that people could just choose to die intriguing and found the character Colin wholly believable as the voyeur watching their individual deaths unfold. Annabel first as a victim and then the heroine again was an unusual choice. The book made you think and ponder whether this could happen in real life and whether a crime had been committed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Disturbing and Addictive, 6 July 2014
This review is from: Human Remains (Kindle Edition)
If you read Human Remains by Elizabeth Haynes in public, be ready to expose all of your best grimaces to the unsuspecting public. As the title rightly suggests this is a book that is almost entirely about rotting corpses. Annabel is a police analyst who finds a severely decomposed body in the house next door and, spurred on by her own loneliness, discovers a sharp spike in local cases of people rotting for months without anyone noticing. Despite difficulties in getting anyone to listen to her, Annabel pushes forward to get to the bottom of it.

What makes Human Remains interesting on a new level is that we do not only see it from an outsider’s point of view. Alongside Annabel’s narrative we are treated to (or perhaps tortured with) the perspective of the person responsible for the deaths. Colin is arguably the more interesting of the two characters for some very complex and morally grey reasons, but one finds it easy to read fast through his disturbing narrative to get back to the relative comfort of Annabel’s.

This book does not pull its punches. It picks you up and plonks you down into the minds of lonely, desperate people. It faces depression and isolation head-on. Most importantly, it shows that for many people there is a way out; the main character, Annabel, goes through so much but comes out shining.

If you’re the type of person (like me!) who can handle gore and bleakness in search of a good story, this book is for you. Elizabeth Haynes is a promising author and Human Remains proves she has what it takes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Human Remains, 22 Jun 2014
This review is from: Human Remains (Kindle Edition)
A very poignant book. loved the aspect of writing from different points of view and also the discussion around loneliness.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 17 Jun 2014
This review is from: Human Remains (Kindle Edition)
This has got to be the strangest most intriguing book I have ever read. Weird wonderful, what else can I say? Give it a go...hope you love it too

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely worth giving it a go., 17 Jun 2014
This review is from: Human Remains (Paperback)
I read ' into the darkest corner' and loved it, so I thought I would give this one a go. I wasn't disappointed, Elizabeth Haynes has a way of writing that grips the reader into wanting more. The story was good, but disappointed that the ending wasn't better. However I loved the book, the way it was written going back and forth to the characters made for interesting reading. Although this book has mixed reviews I was definitely gripped until the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars HUMAN REMAINS, 24 May 2014
Amanda "sac" (uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Human Remains (Kindle Edition)
Annabel Hayer a crime analyst is shocked when she finds her neighbour's decomposing body. Deciding to investigate she discovers that several people in her home town Briarstone have been found in the same state, left for dead and rotting away. However no proof can be found that any murders have taken place.
Colin Friedland has a mission, he makes it his business to befriend sad desperate people who feel they have no reason to carry on living.
With each chapter alternating between Annabel and Colin, and a few of the deceased telling their story too, what unfolds is chilling and thought provoking.
Highly recommend this novel, an excellent and compelling read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Something a bit different, 10 April 2014
J. Hill - See all my reviews
This review is from: Human Remains (Kindle Edition)
A well constructed book with An unusual storyline which kept my attention throughout.
The neuro-linguistic programming aspect was fascinating, and I had an interesting side-trip reading up on that subject (beginning to sound like Colin here !)
Elizabeth Haynes is a new author to me, And I'll certainly be reading more of her work.

2.0 out of 5 stars Tedious. Extremely so., 11 Mar 2014
Tim Chaney "soloinsoho" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Human Remains (Paperback)
I am really a fan of Haynes' previous books but this one after reading some 224 tedious and not very creepy at all pages have decided to put it down. Life is too short to waste on a poor book. So, I jump to the last 30 pages to see 'who did it' and even at it's climax is not gripping as you might expect from her. I don't care about Annabel, Colin or Sam.

4.0 out of 5 stars How close are you to your neighbours?!, 18 Feb 2014
This review is from: Human Remains (Kindle Edition)
I seem to be reading a lot of 'firsts' at the moment, and this is another as I have never read anything by Elizabeth Haynes before. I picked this book up as an 'Amazon' recommendation, it was either free or very cheap, I can't quite remember which, but I am very glad I purchased it.

This book is exactly the kind of thriller I love. It's very very dark, but has some humour, it is told from the viewpoint of the two main characters Annabel and Colin.

Annabel has the misfortune of discovering her neighbours badly decomposed body after her cat alerts her to a foul smell in the neighbouring house. Her inquisitive mind leads her to investigate a little further as the newspapers report new 'undiscovered' deaths on a regular basis. As a Civilian crime analyst Annabel is not taken seriously at first, but as more bodies are found, the local press begin to take an interest and Sam is introduced to us.

At first Sam appears to be your stereotypical local reporter, only interested in the scoop, but as Annabel's story progresses and her paths cross with Colin's after the sudden death of her mother, we see Sam in a different light.

Colin, well Colin is the most complex character of all. We find out early on his role in the story, and it is very believable due to Hayne's brilliant writing. Although his acts are despicable you will find yourself asking, did he actually do anything wrong?

His viewpoint is that compelling.

The story is complex, with lots of twists and turns, the ending however, gives Colin just what he deserves and in this sort of story, that's all we can ask for...

As an aside, it does almost make you want to check up on your neighbours! I say almost, because although they are older than my parents, they make a right racket constantly so we definitely know that they are okay!

‹ Previous | 1 2 329 | Next ›