5.0 out of 5 stars Nice, versatile box that's amazing value for money
This is a very versatile piece of hardware. It performs a handful of functions by simply configuring it out of the box to do what you want. In my own case I needed two of it's functions or "modes":

Published 2 months ago by Eddy Grabczewski

3.0 out of 5 stars WIll not extend Apple Airport network
I brought this specifically to extend an Apple Airport network but it is incompatible apparently and will not do that which I only found out after spending long time trying to get it to work. It does work as a wireless access point for Apples and PCs though so now I'm having to buy a second one to extend the wireless network.
Published 10 months ago by Graham G. Lewis

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice, versatile box that's amazing value for money, 22 July 2014
This review is from: TP-Link TL-WR710N Wireless Nano Router/Range Extender/TV, Gaming, Set-top Adapter, Mobile Charger (Accessory)

1. To transmit an ADSL signal wirelessly from my ADSL router to my Sony BD unit so that I can watch Netflix on the TV without laying down phone cables all around the house. This is called "Client mode".

2. To repeat the signal from my ADSL router to weak-spots around the house. This is called "Repeater mode".

The basic idea is to plug in the device and connect to it's private wireless network using your desktop computer.
One you've done that they you can type the URL "http://tplinklogin.net" on the said desktop computer and you'll find yourself looking at the main configuration screen for the TP-Link box. After that you can choose the mode of operation and the device will reboot in that mode. At this stage you can re-connect your desktop computer back to the original network and use the TP-Link box's assigned URL to view the configuration screen using a URL something like: http://192.168.1.150 (I use a Billion ADSL router).

Make sure that when you reboot then you wait about five minutes and then check by pinging the TP-Link box (ping 192.168.1.150 in this example) to make sure it has acquired an IP address from your ADSL router (Billion in this case).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for hotels, 23 Jun 2014
A. Elliott - See all my reviews
Clever little idea that allowed me to convert a hotels "free" wired internet connection into a wifi connection that my phone and ipad could use.
There are other things this does (like act as a repeater for your existing wifi I think) but I haven't tried any of those.
It's well made, feel sturdy, the connections all fit well.
Plus, the USB connection for charging your tech mean one less plug to take away with you.

5.0 out of 5 stars hurry, hurry get your Internet here, cheap as chips., 30 Aug 2014
Took it out of the box and plugged it in. Worked straight away without any problems. Please see my other review for a phillcom product.
Working as a router. I have a work's desktop with a server image that runs exceptionally slow, but I need it for works email.
I plugged the item into the mains, and plugged the network cable from the desktop into the wan slot. I then plugged the supplied cat5 cable into the lan port and into the desktop. The desktop worked as normal supplying my email. I then found the wireless signal with my laptop and achieved first rate Internet. The signal travels half way around a large factory very successfully.The office staff are using it to update their facetube etc. I will buy another to use as a repeater to get right around the factory. For £40.00 it's perfect.
For less than £20.00 it's a steal. Cheers for reading my review.

5.0 out of 5 stars extra wi fi, 20 April 2014
bought it to extend wi fi to outside canteen as not enough room in small office for everybody with laptops works great

3.0 out of 5 stars WIll not extend Apple Airport network, 8 Nov 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Did exactly what I wanted it to do ..., 2 Nov 2013
I bought two of these to create wifi hotspots around the house, as other wifi units struggles to get through the walls and floors. I have ethernet cabling next to power sockets, so these were ideal and discrete boxes to use.

The signal from them appears to be stronger than the other wifi units around the house.

The set up was relatively easy, if you're used to setting up a unit over the webpage. At one point, I lost power and lost the settings, but it didn't take long to reinstall. Since then, power cuts haven't meant I've lost settings, so it might have been that I hadn't clicked "save" before I lost power.

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't repeat for me, 12 Aug 2013
Mark R. Bannister (London, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I agree with the other reviewers, the instructions are rubbish, but that's par for the course with TP-Link. Usually I can work their products out anyway, even given their shoddy grasp of the English language, but in this case, I simply couldn't get the Wireless Repeater mode to work for me. I got into Quick Setup and configured it up just fine, and the message on screen said it's ok and now to reboot the router, but a simple test upstairs where my existing wifi signal is weak showed no improvement with the range extender in place.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Mac Mini of the router world, 27 July 2013
Peter (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a tiny little router, capable of doing everything much larger routers can do - and it can also be used as a wireless access point, as a Wi-Fi repeater and as a wireless client.

So, what can't it do? Well, it's ethernet-only, so if you have an ADSL (telephone wire) internet connection, you can only use it as a router if you also buy an ADSL "modem", and that would rather defeat the "small is beautiful" ethos. It only has a total of two ethernet ports, so if you want to plug in a large number of wired network devices, you're out of luck. And its Wi-Fi only works on the 2.4GHz band, which is relatively congested, and can only manage speeds up to 150Mbps (using up to two channels simultaneously).

What it *can* do is pretty much everything a much larger router can do. It support DDNS, can issue IP addresses (DHCP) and can route between the Wi-Fi and one of the ethernet ports (LAN) on one side and the other ethernet port (WAN) on the other side. So if you have cable internet with an ethernet presentation, this one tiny little box can be your home network. In that respect, it's the Mac Mini of routers. At 8cm x 7cm x 3cm it really is tiny, suitable for someone who doesn't want their home cluttered up with boxes, cables and flashing lights. There is one blue light on this little fellow, but that's it. Oh, and did I mention, it has a USB port, so you can connect a disk drive too, if you want.

If you already have a router, you can configure this device as:

- A Wi-Fi access point (AP). This lets you convert an ethernet (wired) network to wireless. If you're in a hotel that provides an ethernet cable but no Wi-Fi you can create your own hotspot.

- A Wi-Fi repeater. If your existing Wi-Fi doesn't provide coverage to all your house, you can plug this device in somewhere that is inside the existing Wi-Fi coverage but close to the bit that doesn't have Wi-Fi. It will then relay the Wi-Fi signals and extend coverage.

- A Wi-Fi client. THis means you can plug in a device that doesn't have Wi-Fi, such as an XBox 360, and it will connect the device to your existing wireless network.

- A Wireless ISP router. It's unusual in this country for your internet backhaul to be wireless, but if it is, this device can be your gateway device.

I use mine as an Access Point. I wanted to be able to use my home network at the bottom of the garden, which is out of range of the Wi-Fi signal. I have a greenhouse with mains power about half-way in between, so my choices were (a) to use the wireless repeater function to boost my existing wireless signal to the bottom of the garden, or (b) to use a pair of powerline devices to send my home network over the mains as far as the greenhouse, and then use the TP-Link device as an extra Wireless Access Point to provide coverage to the far end of the garden. This router can work either way, but I chose to use it with powerline devices as wireless repeating slows the wireless data rate down a fair bit. It works very well indeed, and only takes up a tiny bit of room in the greenhouse. I use these Netgear Powerline Adapters], which have a power pass-through, so the TP-Link device piggy-backs on top. I have a 15cm ethernet patch cable to connect them together.

If I didn't have an array of wired network devices, I would be tempted to have one of these as my main router. If TP-Link can make a router this small, why have one that's larger than a hardback book?

4.0 out of 5 stars Small wireless router that does the job, 20 July 2013
H Jackson (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This router is only about the size of your average compact camera or perhaps two larger smartphones sandwiched together. To me, that's a good thing as it takes up less space and doesn't look like too much of an eyesore.

Most importantly though, it works. Once I got it going, it has effectively improved the signal quality throughout our house. We used to get weaker signal in some of the upstairs bedrooms (which meant that tablets mostly had wifi and occasionally didn't). However, plugging this in seems to have extended the signal just enough.

I didn't find the enclosed instructions that easy to use though. Given that this router can potentially be used for so many different purposes, the single sheet of documentation is rather brief. As a computer user who (I think) has above-average computer skills, this was only a minor inconvenience. But for someone who isn't confident setting up routers and computers, this could be more of a challenge.

4.0 out of 5 stars Confirm runs OpenWRT okay, 22 Sep 2014
A few things I learned from buying this:
- the specific hardware variant here is TL-WR701N(UK) Ver 1.1. This means like the EU version, it has 8MB flash and 32Mb RAM, so it is capable of running alternate open-source OpenWRT software. Indeed I have successfully just installed OpenWRT 14.07RC3 on it.
- the UK plug is detachable, unfortunately while the connector between the unit and plug adaptor *looks* like a standard IEC C7/C8 mains connector, it is not. As far as I can tell you can't get other country plug adaptors separately, which somewhat limits the convenience of this device for the international traveller.
- beware this item shops from Hong Kong, something that was not obvious until I purchased, though it did arrive in around a week.

Overall, nicely made, great value hardware in a very convenient form factor.