5.0 out of 5 stars Super impressive.
I'm not a talented artist. In fact, I have never really done anything "good" art-wise - I'm much more of a crafter.
Published on 24 May 2013 by Kimberley Ann Lilley

3.0 out of 5 stars One Zentangle a Day: Just not fun and engaging. OK for serious study though.
I hate giving a low star rating but this book was disappointing. I liked the idea of Zentangle and the book covered a lot of topics and had more content than others on the subject which was why I chose it.

Can't put my finger on why its not great, but it takes the fun out of the process, makes it hard work. There are a lot of patterns to learn for your money,...
Published 11 months ago by Billie

5.0 out of 5 stars Super impressive., 24 May 2013
Recently my girlfriend and I were looking to start doing colouring books or something in our spare time. I bought several colouring books from Amazon which occupy my girlfriend but I just couldn't get absorbed in them. Then, I discovered Zentangle. There are a lot of websites out there that teach you patterns etc. but none are as well put together, as easy to read or in as good of a format as this book.

I highly recommend it to artists and "normal folk" alike. It introduces a few new patterns every day, gives tips on shading and composition of your tangles and is really easy to follow. The book recommends you spend half an hour tangling a day but I spend hours doing it and completely lose track of time. However, if you only have half an hour spare then I'm sure you can get a nice pretty tile done in much less time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Meditative drawing, 9 Mar. 2013
The process outlined in this book certainly works, it is fun, fascinating and freeing. Your progress will depend on your ability to draw, but even with little expertise I can see that everyone would benefit from practising this 'art form'. I would have given it 5 stars had it not been for the fact that the materials recommended are so expensive in the UK. This book was obviously written for the US market where the pens and inks are considerably cheaper, there is also a lot of reference to Zentangle certified teachers which seem superfluous to these instructions. If you want to have a go at this in the UK look around for alternative pens such as Staedtler pigment liners of the same specs, also Faber castell's PITT artist pens >>brushes<< instead of the very expensive Pentel colour brush sets, at least until you have experience of the process and you decide that you want to continue with it. The Pentel colour brushes have the advantage of being refillable, but are so expensive that until you are sold on the process it might be better to invest in something more reasonably priced.
The drawing instructions are mostly given via step by step diagrams. The text refers mainly to design, tonal and texture theory which I found easy enough to cope with but for someone starting out with drawing I think a little more explanation about shading for example would have been helpful: how to do it, what tools to use, the relationship between shape and light etc. The little sun icons are helpful if you understand the principles but for a beginner it might not be enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pen art, 11 Dec. 2012
Excellent introduction to zentangle's I am hooked. I have seen two other books on the subject and One Zentangle a Day is streets ahead.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not that suitable for a black and white kindle, 6 Aug. 2013
This review is from: One Zentangle A Day: A 6-Week Course in Creative Drawing for Relaxation, Inspiration, and Fun (One A Day) (Kindle Edition)
This is a good book, however, probably not best suited to my Kindle. The pictures are very small and although you can enlarge the text, you can't alter the size of the images on the screen. Also, one chapter is about how to use colour - no good on my monochrome screen. That said the book is inspiring and hold your hand through the early stages of creating images.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little book - persuaded me to try some tangles ..., 20 Jan. 2015
Great little book - persuaded me to try some tangles I otherwise wouldn't have attempted. A very good workbook and for me, at least, gave me the nudge into creating my own doodles. I have to say I don't find the Zentangle thing and its commercial connotations very friendly - I think we all doodle and you can't copyright everything! There are zillions of variations on lines and shapes, and they've been being created for thousands of years. In other words, it's all been done before and now it's become fashionable. However, I enjoy doing it, so must not grumble and, as I sway, this is a great little book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Most informative, 27 Feb. 2013
I have been studying Zentangle on line for a while and have purchased a couple of books which were quite good. I then bought this one which is leagues above the others. It gives real insight into the how to of creating the zentangles, not just focusing on how to draw a pattern, but how to develop it, as well as looking at tone and value. Where the Book of Zentangle gives the philosophy behind the process, this book is the real nuts and bolts. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous! I've almost got to the end now and have loved it!, 13 Dec. 2012
A very easy book to work with. I have followed the course and have almost reached the end. I have used some of the "Zen" side of things with children at school and they have loved it too. Who would have thought it could be so easy?!

4.0 out of 5 stars Posh doodling ideas for us all., 8 Jan. 2015
Instructive with lots of very good ideas. It helps to bring a little order to scribbles and doodles that may well be awful to look at, you may find that you want to keep your notepad pages in future because they will be full of tiny masterpieces. Don't be puf off by the fancy look of this art, it's straightforward to pick up and easy to change any disasters into a pretty good picture. Get one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspired!, 26 Jan. 2015
I have recently been diagnosed with Intrinsic Depression and have been off work for nearly six months. During this time I have used art in different forms as a therapy to help distract my mind and battle the blues. I only found out about Zentangles when searching for art supplies and out of curiosity bought this book. I've only flicked through it quickly so far, but have to say it has inspired me so much and I can't wait to get going. Along with my other art projects (mosaics and sketching mainly) I think I am going to enjoy creating some Zentangles and even go on to incorporating designs into my mosaics. Definitely another form of therapy that will help to alleviate the depression!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good teaching book, 12 Mar. 2013
S. O'connell - See all my reviews
Had everything in it to start me off zentangling. Using it everyday to learn new patterns and how to's. Good starter book