5.0 out of 5 stars An Absolute Classic... Sounding Better Than Ever
Published 15 months ago by Justin Peter Beaney

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent new mix, but (of course) still mediocre music
The original mix (which is nicely included as mp3 files for comparison) was horrible at times. So the new mix, especially as well done as by the guitarist Michael Holmes himself and therefor expert on the music at hand, is an enormous plus.

Musically I still don't dig this "debut". The (very) longtrack "The Last Human Gateway" has it's moments...
Published 9 months ago by Hardyn

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars An Absolute Classic... Sounding Better Than Ever, 23 Jan 2013
Ah yes. I suppose it's pretty hard to be objective about an album you've lived with and loved for nearly thirty years. So I won't even try. All I can say is that Tales from the Lush Attic deserves to be up there with Selling England by the Pound, Close to the Edge, Brain Salad Surgery and whatever other "prog rock classics" might spring to mind. It's full of fine playing, great melodies, wonderful atmospheres and, when required, breathtaking aggression. Most of all, this album is full of passion. You really get a sense that these are five young men desperate to say something and absolutely loving the chance to do so. Perhaps it seems a moot point to describe something as classic when it sits so firmly in the middle of an already long-existing genre. But let's face it, with a 20 minute epic on one side (in old money, that is) and a 15 minute epic to close, there's no escaping what the influences are and what the intention is. But that shouldn't detract from what IQ achieved on this album, even if it arrived ten years after those classics referenced above. And let's face it, prog is a genre where classic albums continue to be made to this day. Where IQ succeeded on Tales... where so many other prog wannabes have failed is that this is a record all about passion. There's no sense that the music on Tales is polite and studious, or originating from any supposed sense of snobbery in carrying on a `classical' tradition. It is all about that sense of passion - in the music and the playing, in the lyrics and most definitely in Peter Nicholls evocative vocals. Everything has a sense of being on the edge, as though committing this music to vinyl back in 1983 wasn't simply a task on someone's checklist, a contractual obligation or just the "oh why not?" conclusion to a cosy bedroom hobby. The album seems driven by an overwhelming need to be, as if the whole band are playing for their lives, knowing that they're all going to explode into a million pieces if they don't make the record happen - a terrified sweat on their brow and a nervous glance back over their shoulders always necessary, as though something unpleasant in that attic is slowly stirring and their only defence is their music.

This superb remix is long-overdue, but it's definitely been worth the wait. The inadequacies of the original DIY production values have at last been overcome and the music can now be heard in all its full, powerful glory. Mike Holmes has done wonders to recreate the album from scratch from the original tapes and the result is simply stunning. Those who might have had concerns that two much messing about might have altered its character need not worry. It's still the same album, just so much more than it was before. It is definitely worth 5*s for the music, 5*s for the reissue (the packaging is wonderful - although I would've liked to have seen more of Peter Nicholls artwork from that era) and the bonus tracks good value too). And I haven't even had time to watch the bonus DVD of the whole album performed live in 2011. But if the quality of IQ's other DVD releases is anything to go by, this won't disappoint either.

4.0 out of 5 stars Is this the same album?, 17 Feb 2013
M. Beek "bemarcelek" (Apeldoorn, Nederland) - See all my reviews
I'm a big IQ fan since 1989 - the year they released 'Are You Sitting Comfortably?' with Paul Menel. Back then we had a radio show in the Netherlands that played 2 CD tracks of new CDs (LP&CD Show it was called) and so began my journey into Prog. Much later I also got the remastered version of 'Lush Attic' but it was never one of my favorite IQ albums - as Ever and Subterranea still are. But this new 2013 remix is a real 'ear-opener'! I can't believe this is the same album... So much better! Hopefully they will play some tracks of Lush Attic (along with some new stuff) this April when I'm going to see them.

5.0 out of 5 stars ...That's the way to do it!, 25 Jan 2013
Bought this 30 years when first released - and loved it ever since then. But, the new version is so much better. Mr Holmes has done a simply wonderful job with the remix. The band have done their fans proud with the whole classy package, it is total quality and amazing value for money. This has to be a manditory purchase for any IQ fan. Guess I'll have to 'bite the bullet' and buy the 25th anniversary version of 'The Wake' now...

5.0 out of 5 stars Well Worth Digging Out!, 16 April 2013
Stotty (Bolton, England) - See all my reviews
I remember having old copies of 'Tales...' and 'The Wake' back when I first started getting into prog rock bands whilst at secondary school in the mid to late 1980s. Despite enjoying some of IQ's tunes, I always thought that the sound quality on those albums was pretty awful and that Peter Nicholls' vocal performances were too much of a Peter Gabriel facsimile, so I drifted away from them and stuck with my beloved Marillion, Yes and Genesis.
In around 1999, I found out that IQ were performing at the Bury Met, which is only about 25 minutes drive from where I lived and it was only 10 a ticket, so I went along, hoping that they might play some old tunes and win me over again with one or two new tracks. Unbeknownst to me, they were touring in support of their then epic, magnum opus, double album, 'Subterranea', which I'd never heard. I stood there for a good two and a half hours, trying to digest totally brand new music and despite the overall quality of the performance, I decided that I'd made a bad decision and discounted IQ altogether.
Recently, completely by accident I got to hear 'Fading Senses' from their 'Ever' album and was blown away, so I decided to get on 'YouTube' and rediscover the band again. The old songs seemed so much better than I remembered them, so when I discovered that the band had released a remixed version of 'Tales...', I decided to give it a go.
What guitarist, Mike Holmes has done with those original recordings is a revelation. There's a clarity and sharpness that was never there before, with certain nuances coming out in the mix that are an absolute delight.
Opening track, the 20 minute behemoth, 'The Last Human Gateway' has more depth and is a smoother, more absorbing listening experience with a lovely juxtaposition of atmosphere and power.
The short 'Through the Corridors' is cleaner and more vibrant with 'Awake and Nervous' ballsier and beefier than it was originally.
Martin Orford's classical piano piece, 'My Baby Treats Me Right 'Cos I'm a Hard Lovin' Man All Night Long' although benefiting from the overall remaster, doesn't really differ too much from the 1983 version. It still provides a nice link to the closing track 'The Enemy Smacks', which is even more of an assault on the senses as it was thirty years ago. Like 'The Last Human Gateway' there's an effective blend of atmosphere and power, but with genuine drama thrown into the equation as Peter Nicholls' drug addled character falls deeper into despair. The new mix cranks everything up and adds extra colour and dimension to what was always quite a disturbing song.
In terms of extras, this release is a treasure trove. 'Wintertell' is a gorgeous acoustic guitar-based ballad, and a couple of unfinished demos show how the band were evolving musically. However, the alternative end section of 'The Last Human Gateway' is unnecessary for me.
The bonus DVD is a treat. We get recent live performances of four of the album tracks, taken from a show in Holland; the original mix of the album (which is still awful) and a great audio commentary from Peter Nicholls and Mike Holmes which is both amusing and insightful. If that weren't enough, the original 'Seven Stories Into Eight' cassette album from 1982 is included.
All in all, this is an excellent package with a collection of great music finally given the remastering/remixing treatment that it deserves.
Every home should have one.

5.0 out of 5 stars IQ=Genius, 10 Feb 2013
If you're into Prog. Rock this album should be in your collection along with all their other albums. I first heard this band over thirty years ago while I was an architectural student drawing up a project late one Friday night in my tenement flat in Dundee listening to the Friday Night Rock show hosted by Tommy Vance. I can remember the hairs on the back of my head standing up and they still do whenever I listen to this band. I'm a huge Genesis fan and have had the privilege of seeing them a number of times and I've got all their albums. Focus, Yes, Pallas, Wishbone Ash are other bands which I have followed over the years along with many other bands and artists of a varied and diverse nature. However, of all these there is only one band whose album's I have bought without hearing a note and none has disappointed. It amazes me to this date how IQ have remained relatively unknown.
Take a punt on this album, it won't be the last IQ album you buy, I can guarantee that.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgia!, 9 Feb 2013
Along with Marillion "Script for A Jester's Tear" and Pendragon "The Jewel", this cd of IQ was a giant discovery for me, in a decade where prog rock was trying to relive after the golden age of the 70's. I purchased the vinyl with the nice red color cover and was immediately in love with the band's music. IQ's music was reminiscent of Genesis mainly for the similarity of Nicholls' voice with Gabriel.

Here we have the remix of that album on CD/DVD boxset set with a bunch of alternate versions and a very nice show that we can enjoy in audio and video. The remix is well done, clear and put a smile on your face, when you realize that it was done 30 years ago. I didn't felt any disappointment by listening to the original lp, sound wise, so i was not to be disappointed with the remix, who can only be better.

As for the alternate versions, the sound goes from bad to good, but there is some funny versions that are enjoyable. I imagine that the band wanted to include as many songs as possible just for historical value. The concert on the DVD is what i enjoyed the most, very professional like all their dvds, it is worth the price of the boxset alone .

5.0 out of 5 stars IQ's first album has never sounded better, 23 Jan 2013
This is certainly one of the most treasured albums in my collection, so to see it return with improved sound and hours of bonus features is absolutely wonderful. Read my full review at DPRP: [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars This is how re-issues SHOULD be done, 27 Feb 2013
Superb remix vastly improving on the original sound quality. Vast array of extra material (literally hours) that give insight into the making of the album. This is seriously impressive stuff - I wish major record companies would take note of the effort put into this re-issue in terms of genuine improvement, informative extras and a standard of presentation that is just superb. Long standing IQ fans will love every minute of this package and if you're new to the band (or prog rock in general) you should be impressed by the music on offer here. How often do you get a re-issue that generates more excitement than the original release? Well this one does. Now, if Mike Holmes could get behind that hot mixing desk and repeat this splendid work with other IQ classics I'm sure it would be much appreciated by many!

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic IQ, 30 Jan 2013
Stephen Johnson "stevie boy" (united kingdom) - See all my reviews
This is a fantastic release from the band.
I first saw the band play in Rayleigh Essex around 1983/84 and have
never looked back with them over many wonderful years of music.
This their first proper vinyl album when first released. It has now had the full Remastering
treatment by Michael Holmes in 2013.And what a great job he's done.
If your an IQ fan buy this now.Apart from bonus tracks you have an extra bonus DVD Disc
of live tracks from 2011 plus an MP3 selection too.
The packaging is wonderful and may i sad that if more bands released items like this then the CD format
would be a long,long way from finished.

4.0 out of 5 stars iq, 14 July 2013
nice modern prog with soft elements in all directions
reminds me aty some old classic prog band like genesis,
and more