on 30 December 2014
A brilliant phone -nice clean display, not up to Apple standards as looking at my Iphone 4 and this you can see more quality Iphone wise but then the price difference at launch was also quite different.

Still it is clear and when it comes to the android software you cant do any better, if I get another android it will be the Nexus 5 or whatever replaces that. The Nexus 4 has been a wonderful phone to use and with non of the bloatware that the likes of Samsung put onto their phones - the Galaxy S2 almost put me off android for good till this popped up (dont go near an S2 with a bargepole).

Its a good couple of years old now this Nexus and you can tell from the battery life which is starting to get a bit ropey 30% to power off within 15 mins of screen time now!!
Lollipop also slowed it down a little but barely noticeably and overall its still useable and a nice little android phone.

I am tempted to just stick a new battery in it and keep it a couple more years as it serves its purpose well enough so why get anything else.
I dont want the Iphone 6 bend-a-lot and the Nexus 5 is an alright update (pretty much a G2) , the G3 is too expensive so whats the point - may as well hold fire with this little beaut until its really time to let it go.

the only thing it pales next to Samsung wise is Volume, my mrs S3 blows me out of the water volume wise but thats just so she can wave her phone around listening to techno - as I only need to use mine to make calls and play the odd game - not bothered.

Its a good phone, you will pick one up pretty cheap now - mine was £80 mates rates as he was getting a G2 on release. If you just want android with no crap attached then this is your phone - no more Kies or other rubbish, brilliant!!

Google and Nexus is the way to go for sure, pure android and no crap!

only thing Id say is if its second hand then buy a new battery!!
on 29 December 2014
I've used the Nexus 4 for the past two years and have to say its one of the best smartphones I've ever owned. Even by today's standards it is still a great phone for the price, although mine is now starting to show its age as the battery life is noticably worse now than it was when I first bought it and barely lasts me through the day. There are now two newer versions in the Nexus line of phones - the Nexus 5 and the Nexus 6.

Positives:
- Performance is fast and buttery smooth, I have never noticed any slowdown even when running demanding apps and games
- The 4.7 inch 720p HD screen is really nice to look at and makes videos, pictures, games etc. look great. I've never had any issues with trying to read text on webpages.
- The design of the phone is brilliant and the build quality is fantastic. It really does look and feel like a premium device despite the budget price tag and the phone feels really nice in the hand.
- Being a Nexus phone it is first in line to receive software updates from Google and mine is now running the latest version of stock Android - 5.0 Lollipop.

Negatives:
- The camera is not great and takes poor quality photos, although the user interface is easy to use.
- The battery life is quite poor and these days I struggle to get much more than 2 hours of screen-on time. It does not last me through the day at work and I have to put it on charge during the afternoon. However, this is probably due to the age of the battery and the number of charge cycles it has been through.
- The glass back of the phone, while attractive looking, is fragile and does not stand up well to drops. I would definitely recommend a case - I use the Ringke Fusion case - http://www.amazon.co.uk/FUSION%C2%AE-Selling-Absorption-Scratch-Premium/dp/B00B7QGT6U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1419892130&sr=8-1&keywords=ringke+fusion+nexus+4
- Only 16GB storage space and no SD card slot - although this should be an adequate amount of space for most people, those of us who like to load up on games, apps and music may find that they fill up the internal storage space quite quickly and sadly there is no slot for a micro SD card.

I would definitely recommend this phone, although it is worth bearing in mind it is now 2 years old. The Nexus 5 may be a better option as it is essentially a direct upgrade to the Nexus 4 and is not much more expensive. I have since upgraded to a Sony Xperia Z3 which is another great phone.
on 3 April 2013
It surprised me that for the price you can get top notch specs, and in the same time great design. The phone is really well build. The only downside is that is quite fragile (but all new phones nowadays are), but you can manage that with a case and a screen protector and you're good to go ;)

I was really tired of the Iphone, same design and ui for several years. This is a refreshing change. With the android platform you can personalize everything in the ui, and make your own personal experience.
on 5 March 2013
The product carried the words "used", but the phone was almost brand new.
What about the Nexus 4 .... fast, exceptional display, a world of applications ...... google experience 100% ....
VINE VOICEon 23 March 2013
I was split between two phones - the Nexus and Samsung SIII. I eventually settled for the Nexus as I don't use much storage (previous phone having 8 GB in total). Some friendly advice though - order the phone straight from Google Play - I doubt it's cheaper elsewhere.

The smartphone arrives with a USB power adaptor and USB cable. There's the quick guide as well which you really don't need as the phone is very intuitive to use.

The phone itself is understated in design. It's built out of sturdy black plastic and the rear has a love it or loathe it finish. I'm not too bothered about it as the phone is in a case. The volume controls are located on the left hand side of the phone. The power switch is located on the right hand side of the phone. The headphone socket it located at the top of the phone whilst the USB connector is located at the bottom. There are no physical buttons on the screen side.

The screen is an impressive 4.7" panel. With the standard menus, the fonts and graphics look very impressive. The swiping gestures work very well and if you hold down the bottom centre virtual button, the excellent Google Now app fires up giving you a breakdown of weather, travel news, calendar etc. The voice recognition software works extremely well although you do need to be clear in your pronunciation.

The connectivity on the phone is excellent - NFC (Near Field Contact), Bluetooth, WiFi etc. The phone came with version 4.2.2 of Android meaning that a software hack to enable LTE won't work but considering 4G coverage is patchy and expensive it's no great loss unless the next release of Android activates the chip.

The camera is pretty good but not amazing. It does have trouble focusing in daylight although one has to remember this is a phone and not a dedicated camera. The photos that come out are very good although there is some noise in the photos when the lighting isn't great. The Photosphere application enabling you to capture a 360 panorama is handy but takes some practice. The flash is adequate but I do miss a decent xenon flash at times. There are editing and filter functions with the camera application but you may want to download other apps.

The video camera records in 1080p - pretty impressive picture quality but there's no stabilisation function so steady hands are a must. There is a well featured movie maker app that comes with the phone that saves you having to carry out numerous editing functions that you would otherwise have to perform on a desktop/laptop.

The software itself is standard Android - there's no bloatware except for Google's own apps. I've noticed that without a customised interface such as HTC Sense, Touchwiz etc, the phone flies. Yes, I have seen the S3 in action but there's a slight delay. The advantage that a Google Nexus owner will have is that any updates will be rolled out to the Nexus phones first whilst other manufacturers would need to test the software and ensures it works with their customisations. I had to download UberSync for Facebook to sync my Facebook contacts with the Google ones.

The speaker has taken a lot of flack by reviewers and I admit it's not great - I would recommend buying headphones if it's an issue.

Battery life - I was expecting pretty average battery life but I've managed to squeeze 16 hours out of a full charge doing what I normally do. The screen isn't on full brightness as auto brightness is enabled.

The 16GB storage is actually nearer to 12GB are the operating system and built-in applications take up space. The 2Gb of RAM is very handy and the applications really do whiz along. If you're worried about space, I would recommend going for a phone with memory expansion capabilities. I've settled for Google+ to store photos, videos and music.

To sum it up, the Google Nexus 4 is a great smartphone with the added bonus of a great price tag. If you're not bothered about storage or customised interfaces (such as HTC Sense, Samsung's Touchwiz), this is the phone for you.
on 14 February 2014
I have been looking for a new phone for quite a while and did a lot of research before choosing this one. I am very impressed with it and have found it very easy to use. It has a beautiful clear screen, is very responsive and the camera is pretty good too! The only (minor) downside is that its quite a big phone and it is harder to handle than my older, smaller phone. I highly recommend this phone!
on 24 April 2013
OK, as unbelievable as it sounds, switching on Bluetooth on the Nexus 4 (with Android 4.2.2) kills your wifi connection. I know what you're thinking "that could not possibly be true", but it is. Its a known bug #41631 and has been reported to Google since December 2012 at least.

I thought I was going mad because this level of bug will render the device useless for some people and means that this is not a device you want to use with Bluetooth headsets or other Bluetooth devices. Note, if you have a 5GHz wifi router, then it works ok (like the Apple Airport Extreme for example), but if you have a regular 2.4ghz wifi then you gotta keep your Bluetooth off if you want connectivity.

In general (apart from the above issue) I find the connectivity (on 3g/wifi) to be much flakier than my old Samsung Galaxy 2, with a lot more dropping and reconnecting going on. Again if you do a quick web search you'll find a lot of people with connectivity issues.

Apart from that, its a nice device, and you have the comfort of knowing that you'll always have the latest version of Android, but I can't help but feel with serious bugs like the one above left unfixed for months at a time that I'm just a tester for the latest bleeding edge version of Android.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 8 October 2013
It could do with *slightly* more storage but otherwise this phone is fantastic. It's fast (zero lag in the month since receiving it), responsive and feels nice in your hand - if somewhat slippery.

Make sure to buy a cover/bumper for it as the glass front & back can make the device feel delicate. The official bumper is nice as it preserves the premium feel but is also prone to cracking around the charging slot (Mine did without ever getting dropped, stressed or strained).
on 11 October 2013
I give the phone itself 5 starts without a question. It's a great device and I love all Nexus devices because of the great Google support in terms of updates and apps.

I rated it at 4 stars because the charger plug is European type as opposed to UK. I bought this in Amazon UK and I'm in Ireland, I expected it to come with a UKI type plug. I can always use an adapter, but that's a bit of a pain.
on 9 January 2015
I got this a year ago as my smartphone. Before this I had an ipod touch and a basic mobile phone. I really like this phone. I found it easy to use and very easy to adapt to after using apple. There are lots of apps available on the google store and I am not yet having problems with the device being too old for any of the apps to run. The storage on the phone also seems to be sufficient, as I still have 3gb left available. I don't want to buy a new phone yet but when I do I would definitely buy a smartphone again and would certainly consider getting another nexus phone.