4.0 out of 5 stars Nice, but there's room for improvement
I've had this phone for a few weeks now - here's a quick summary of the pros and cons as I see them:

Pros -

Published 16 months ago by L. Hennessy

2.0 out of 5 stars Wifi and Bluetooth don't work together
OK, as unbelievable as it sounds, switching on Bluetooth on the Nexus 4 (with Android 4.2.2) kills your wifi connection. I know what you're thinking "that could not possibly be true", but it is. Its a known bug #41631 and has been reported to Google since December 2012 at least.

I thought I was going mad because this level of bug will render the...
Published 15 months ago by IMacD

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice, but there's room for improvement, 20 Mar 2013
L. Hennessy (Twickenham) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Pros -

+ The price: first and foremost, this is the big advantage of this phone. No one would say that 279 quid is cheap (plus postage) direct from Google, but in comparison to the relative cost of other makes, this phone offers a lot for the price.
+ very fast and smooth: it really can handle anything you throw at it. The Internet speeds it can achieve are dependent upon the service provider, but they are fast. One of the first things I noticed was just how quickly it does everything, and that's still the case now.
+ The screen: nice size, good colours and good accurate sensitivity to the touch function. It looks great if you're upgrading from a cheaper phone because the details are so much clearer on a screen this size and definition. Perhaps a very slightly bit too blue on the skin tones.
+ Good quality build: it's solid, there's no flexibility or movement if you try to twist the top corners the other way from the bottom ones, and it looks nice.
+ Nice size for my average hands: my thumb can reach all four corners of the screen if I need them to, and with a bumper-style case it doesn't feel slippery.
+ The synchronization available if you have a Google plus account is great (this might apply to most phones, but it took a matter of seconds to put all my phone contacts and calendar details onto it), and the Google Chrome browser added all my bookmarks.
+ It comes already unlocked.
+ It has a good qulity music player. Having suffered the Samsung player for a long time on my last phone, it's a relief to find that this one not only has good sound, but the volume goes a lot higher too.

Cons -

- No memory card slot: I used to be a hoarder with my old phone; it was full of mp3s and photos, films and apps. I have the 16gb Nexus, and while it's got enough memory to avoid problems I have changed my storage habits - I now store my music in Google search cloud and stream it. I've got a new unlimited data phone contract to deal with this, and a wireless hard drive so I can keep stuff at hand for times where there's no internet available.
- The battery: I can't get it out if I need to, and I've had to make adjustments to get it to last the working day (brightness of display being the main one).
- The camera: occasionally slow to focus, and 'only' 8mp - it doesn't have the premium feel of the rest of the phone. The 360 degree photo function is a great bit of software, and you can turn it into a round planet a la 'little prince' - fun. It's the only phone I know that has this function at the moment, although others will get it, I'm sure.
- The inbuilt speaker is very poor - bad sound, bad placement: it's on the back of the phone so it gets muffled on top of being tinny and quiet anyway.
- Easy to damage the surfaces: there is glass on both sides of this phone - 'gorilla' glass on the screen side which is very scratch resistant apparently, and non gorilla on the back, which is a bad oversight; I've still got the screen protector films in place that the phone came with as a result. It slides on smooth surfaces and feels like it'd be very easy to smash or scratch the glass on the back especially. Not for the clumsy types.
- No flash player support: a big annoyance, especially if you use Facebook (I can't play Scrabble any more - or watch certain video footage on the BBC news website, for example). I believe there are technical ways to get around this - such as 'side loading' an older version - but this is a bit beyond me really, and a lot of sites need the latest version.
- Bluetooth reception: I've had real problems linking devices. It won't detect most of them; I think this is a software issue that will be dealt with in a future update. I hope it's not a problem with the phone itself! (This is very annoying)

SUMMARY:

For the price, a great phone. If you're new to smartphones you might not need to start off with something this good - my mum loves her Galaxy Ace for example, but it's a match for phones costing a lot more than it does.

The lack of memory cards issue is the main problem if you don't have unlimited data on your contract, and the battery life could be better, but overall it's a nice phone. Great for the price.

You might consider -

This excellent portable charger (It'll get the phone full at least three times: EC TECHNOLOGY® New Dual USB Output 13000mAh External Black Color Battery Pack Backup Charger Power Bank, Fit for Android & Apple Devices, Smart Phones, Tablets, PS Vita, GoPro, Apple iPhone 5S 5, iPhone 5C, iPad Mini, iPad 4(Lightning Adapter Not Includ...

And don't forget - this phone takes a 'micro sim card' not a normal sim card, so you'll need to order one from your service provider before you can use the phone. Don't do what I did and buy the phone before you have a sim card or else you'll have a pretty frustrating experience while you wait for it to come through the post!

Edit 15/08/13: My phone slithered off my lap yesterday, onto granite flagstones (it didn't have a case on), and it cracked the corner if the front screen, which has stopped the touchscreen from functioning. The phone is now for all intents and purposes, a dead phone. It costs £100 to fix, although I've bought the spare parts for £13 and I'm going to try and fix it myself (I am the cluimsiest person in the world, so this will probably end in disaster). I'll keep you posted.

Edit 03/10/13 - I finally got it into a local repair shop: £140 :(

Edit 12/12/13 - I finally got it back from the repair shop. The delay was due, they say, to difficulties sourcing spare parts. It may be that, having been superceded by the new Nexus 5, Google aren't bothering much with support for the poor old 4. This is something you might want to bear in mind when you weigh up your options.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best phone out there, 11 Feb 2013
This review is from: LG Nexus 4 Android Smartphone 16GB Sim-Free (Electronics)
Before this phone I have owned the HTC Magic, Samsung Galaxy S and the Samsung Galaxy S2.

Android software and hardware has really moved forward over the years. I can't wait to see where they are going to go next. I sold my S2 early as I had a few niggles with it. The screen didn't fit websites as well as modern phones do. The Samsung front end for Android is rubbish and Android updates were too often delayed. I had gone through allot of effort making it sim free and full access. I installed Cyanogen which is an excellent version of Android. However a few of the builds froze my phone over time requiring a battery pull and also making me late for work once as the alarm didn't go off. Another update made the free storage on my phone unusable until I rolled back to the previous version. Luckily I had left it on my phone. Although recent Cyanogen builds have been perfectly usable my trust in them was shaken.

So when the Nexus 4 16GB came back in stock I ordered it and it arrived within a couple of days...

The screen is really pleasant to use. Websites tend to fit in an overview in a way that still keeps the text crisp and readable. Similarly with a note taking app I use, the text is just more readable, as are pdf's at 1 page per screen. The screen size helps with the keyboard, it is a size which is more forgiving of my clumsy fat fingers.

The interface is smooth. However it was also smooth with Cyanogen on my S2. If you have a phone with a pure type of Jellybean and a 1GHz plus dual core or more processor you should experience a smooth Android interface. Pre Jellybean and altered Android never got this quite right. I don't have any regular apps to test the speed of this device. All my daily use apps work smoothly and I really don't think it is getting out of first gear. This phone has plenty of headroom, I'm thinking 400% processing power and RAM more than currently required to lag software. *Android 4.4 has a new virtual machine option called ART in developer options that speeds up app load times and lowers load time processor use*

Call quality is perfectly fine.

The operating system is a dream to use with three small niggles. I can't change the number of home screens without installing a replacement desktop. I only require 3, center with a clock widget and quick use applications, left with a calendar widget and my note taking applications, and a weather to the right with my outdoor applications. *This has now changed in Android 4.4 as empty home screens are automatically removed.* I can't change the quick menu shortcuts for ones that I use regularly without installing a separate short cut app. Cyanogen had this and it was a nice feature. I don't really want the Google cards feature. It sent me a message telling me that I needed to set off for a my football teams match. OK it was clever that it found my football team, worked out where and when they were playing, and then gave me the directions linked into it's navigation mapping system...but I didn't have tickets. I turned all the Google cards off as for me it just eats battery. If you want the phone to stay dormant until you choose to make it do something or if you choose to have it running all your social media, communications and media updates continuously the operating system lets you decide just by going into the synchronization options and it manages them all without affecting your user experience (I don't think another reviewer understands the difference between having apps stored 99% dormant in your ram as most apps do or have apps actually doing lots of work in the background which very few apps do).

The camera is perfectly fine and the 360 and panoramic photo taking works smoothly.

I was concerned the battery life was going to be a problem especially as the battery is behind screws. I did my usual setting change for each app to make sure they weren't checking for updates too often. I only want my calender widget to update when I make calender adjustments. I only want the weather to be checked once in the morning. I only want the news updated once in the morning and when I open the news application. I don't want my emails checked until I open the app. I don't want Facebook or Twitter to synchronize unless I open the app...it is very easy to have this phone doing a million things in the background all day. If it isn't doing a million things all day; then I can check emails on my 4 accounts, checkout several websites, make several calls, send numerous texts, and take some photo's and have them auto upload to a private Google+ area without the battery getting half way when it is placed on charge at night. Use the phone differently and you can burn through the battery in a few hours. We are not at the point where a phone can power 4 cores at 1.5GHz or send and transmit data constantly for more than a few hours.

I was a little worried about moving from a 16GB + 32GB card phone to a 16GB phone. I had to make my switch to Google music to store my music online rather than on SD. It works surprisingly well as long as you have signal of course (set it to store locally a smaller choice selection for such times). Apart from the lack of a lossless music option for my hi-fi google music is a joy to use and seems much more streamlined than certain bloated closed garden competition. If you really need a large movie collection on your phone then this probably isn't the phone for you though but a couple installed for a days travelling is fine. For a usable number of apps (say several menu pages worth) the 12.92GB usable space is more than enough, but I would only recommend to 8GB version for people who only use a dozen or so apps. This phone isn't really for the storage hoarder but cloud is what Google are good at and despite my years of Android and large app purchase history I find I'm keeping most things online and have around 60% of my phones storage free.

The phone looks good. There isn't allot to say about the looks and build. Solid with a glass front and back. The front looks like every other modern touch screen phone. It is completely filled up by a touch screen. Now onto the glass back...it turns it into a block of ice. I plug in my charger and the "added weight" pulls it off the blooming table. I can't wait for a cover to arrive. The back is a little glittery under light which changes as you make minor movements to the phone. Not a a jewelry way, it reminds me most of the matrix where code ripples down a monitor screen.

Accessory range is a currently a low point, but I am sure this will change. I want a premium case for this device and most of the options are currently pretty cheap. Wireless charges are available...I have got to try one. An HDMI adapter is available and um that's about it. Common this phone is the best phone I have used. Where are all the accessories!

For day to day use I have found this phone to be excellent. It has the "it just works" factor that Apple are known for, except that this phone doesn't punish you for trying to think outside the box or for doing things to your own tastes. For out of the box unlocked unaltered goodness this phone can't be beat. For premium phone owning cost to the user this phone also can't be beat, purchased without contract and then purchasing a sim deal saves hundreds over a standard 2 year deal. The build and design is great...but get a case quickly to stop it trying to run away.

5.0 out of 5 stars i love this phone, 10 Oct 2013
S. Jones (Berkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LG Nexus 4 Android Smartphone 16GB Sim-Free (Electronics)
It's pretty damn speedy with the quad-core snapdragon processor, an amazing display.
I opted for the 16 GB over the 8 GB because I like to carry a lot of music with me.
it's solid, not had any problems. the only criticism I would make is the camera isn't great.
it's the first stock android phone I've bought, and I've had no need to root it like Samsung Android phones I've used in the past

5.0 out of 5 stars Value phone, 16 Sep 2013
This review is from: LG Nexus 4 Android Smartphone 16GB Sim-Free (Electronics)
You can't go wrong with this phone. Blazing fast and vanilla android experience. No lag, no problems at all. Absolutely love this phone

5.0 out of 5 stars For the price, the best phone on the market, bar none., 21 Mar 2013
Clashcity Rocker "Clashcity Rocker" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: LG Nexus 4 Android Smartphone 16GB Sim-Free (Electronics)
At over half the price of a Galaxy S3, Xperia Z or iPhone 5, this phone is an absolute bargain. It doesn't skimp in the specs, it's got the latest and greatest Qualcomm Sanpdragon S4 Pro chipset (which is the same as the Xperia Z, better than the S3 and iPhone5), and a healthy 2GB of RAM to ensure everything you chuck at this will run really smooth as a result.

As this is a Nexus device, there are a couple of things to expect.

1/ It will always have the latest and greatest Android version, for as long as the hardware is capable of running it. The updates are provided by Google, so there is no carrier or manufacturer delays like other phones.

2/ There is no SD card slot for adding additional storage space. This is by design in all Nexus devices, so it's worth investing in the 16GB model rather than the 8GB model.

Don't be too put off my the later, as Google have a REALLY good cloud service, Google Music fro example allows you to store 20,000 of your own songs for free on their cloud music streaming service. Picasa has no limits on number of photos you can store (as long as they are under a certain resolution), and you of course have Google Drive, Google Docs for other data.

In addition, signing into Box.com using the Android app on your Nexus4 will unlock free 50GB of cloud storage (not too many people are aware of this deal).

Back to the phone...

It looks super-sexy, with glass front and back, and the controls are all very well positioned. I love the display, it's just right, not to harsh not too subtle, the colours seem natural. I wouldn't rate the sound quality out the onboard speaker, but then I always use headphones or Bluetooth speakers, so that's not a deal-breaker for me in any regard whatsoever.

The software is totally stock Android, as will all other Nexus devices, this is a really good thing, I'm not a fan of Touchwiz, Sense, MotoBlur, Timescape etc etc, they all detract from the experience, and standard Android in Jellybean is superb.

Although the box comes with a wired charger, wireless charging is supported - just plonk the phone and the pad no messy cables to plug in or dock, Wireless charging uses the QI standard (the official Nexus 4 wireless charger isn't out in the UK currently, but there are other QI wireless chargers that work just fine, I use the Maxell Air Voltage QI Charging pad)

The camera is only average, but it does support a proper HDR mode (not a faked one like many phones, including ones from Apple) and comes with the utterly awesome photosphere, which is truly a gamechanger when used with the right scenes.

I have had my Nexus 4 for 3 months now, and I'm 100% satisfied. It's a high end Android experience for a very mid-range price, and other phones in this price bracket don't come anywhere close. The phone is easy to use, powerful, great battery life, looks amazing, and comes with the latest and greatest Android What's not to love?

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast phone with great screen but minor issues detract, 17 Nov 2013
Mr. R. Mukherje "RM" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LG Nexus 4 Android Smartphone 16GB Sim-Free (Electronics)
I bought this phone 5 months ago after my HTC one died. Overall quite pleased with it as it is stock Android with a fast processor and great screen. I love the dappled back.
I enjoyed using native Android however I prefer the slicker UI of HTC sense especially the fact it pulls your friends pictures from Facebook and has predictive name lookup which Google has now introduced incidentally.
So much so that I installed Apex Launcher and Sense UI skin and fonts!

I still enjoyed the phone overall but what detracted from it was that the headphone jack would not accept standard 3.5mm head/earphones regardless of which brand I tried. I looked this issue up online and it had been noted before - no amount of force however would push the da** things in. This was a bit frustrating as now I could not use the phone for music or movies.
Another worry was that the proximity sensor was too sensitive, and sometimes if you switched the screen on with your finger close to it (top right of the phone which is a natural place for your finger to be) or swithced it on and off quickly, the screen would take some time to come on- a few seconds...

Primarily because of the jack issue I am sending this phone back (thank you Amazon!), but I will give it 5 stars as this is a hardware issue. I think overall the HTC UI is better than stock Android, and just as fast but in terms of value for money and overall features the NExus line wins hands down. Hence I have just purchased 2 Nexus fives one for me and one for the GF. Giving it 5 stars overall as nothing comes close at this price.

4.0 out of 5 stars good, 24 Oct 2013
This review is from: LG Nexus 4 Android Smartphone 16GB Sim-Free (Electronics)
I don't think there's much I can say as I'm no phone expert. It's such an improvement on my last phone. Would recommend it. Would have liked it a little smaller though

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Incredible, 29 May 2013
This review is from: LG Nexus 4 Android Smartphone 16GB Sim-Free (Electronics)
I came from a Samsung Galaxy S+ running android 2.3. Given that is a pretty old phone, the contrast was enormous. Its fast, the interface is intuitive and the google apps are simply a breeze to use. What a phone!

I have used it now for a month and I can't stop recommending it to people.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nexus 4 Google Experience, 5 Mar 2013
This review is from: LG Nexus 4 Android Smartphone 16GB Sim-Free (Electronics)
The product carried the words "used", but the phone was almost brand new.
What about the Nexus 4 .... fast, exceptional display, a world of applications ...... google experience 100% ....

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than I imagined :D, 3 April 2013
This review is from: LG Nexus 4 Android Smartphone 16GB Sim-Free (Electronics)
It surprised me that for the price you can get top notch specs, and in the same time great design. The phone is really well build. The only downside is that is quite fragile (but all new phones nowadays are), but you can manage that with a case and a screen protector and you're good to go ;)

I was really tired of the Iphone, same design and ui for several years. This is a refreshing change. With the android platform you can personalize everything in the ui, and make your own personal experience.

LG Nexus 4 Android Smartphone 16GB Sim-Free