on 2 April 2013
Good looking slim and compact player, plug in and ready to go instantly. It can be made region free by the following steps:

1) Turn on the dvd player
2) Press the eject/stop button on the dvd player (not the remote) to open the tray, and leave it open!
3) On the remote press 98790 (if done right, a message will appear stating that region has been changed to 0)
4) Done

worked first time for me and plays all my USA region 1 dvds
6565 comments|648 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The Toshiba SD1015KB DVD Player is a basically a budget DVD player that does all the standard run-of-the-mill stuff that all other DVD player do. It's no frills but does the job well. However, the real perk with this particular model (aside from the very competitive price tag) is that it's an absolute doddle to convert it into a Region Free DVD player (i.e. you can play discs from any region on it).

The DVD player takes SCART Leads (as opposed to the more recent move over to HDMI) and has only one input for the SCART. It also comes with Toshiba's standard bottom-of-the-range remote control which is the same remote that comes with many of Toshiba's budget range. But it does the job. And that's pretty much all you want from it!

One small point to mention about the DVD player is that it makes a bit of noise when loading up a disc. You'll hear the motor starting up, the low rumble of the discs whizzing around and all that sort of jazz. It also takes a bit of time to kick in...so a bit of patience is necessary. Nothing to really get your knickers in a twist about, but probably worth mentioning nevertheless.

Anyway, on to the region code hack. Now I'm not going to merely repeat the process which has already been included in the other review(s) on here. But I can confirm that it works. And once it's done - that's it, region free for good. Furthermore, for anyone who's still just a tad sceptical...I've included a video with this review showing the process being performed be my wife and I.

So there you go. A budget DVD player that does the job, but more importantly, it can be turned into a multi-region DVD player in a matter of minutes. Nice!
99 comments|218 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 January 2014
After my old DVD stopped working (with some help from my little daughter) I was in the market for another one. I wanted something cheap as we only really use a DVD player for various children's DVDs and I was concerned that it might receive similar punishment to the last one. This was cheap, it works, and can be easily made region-free, but I would not recommend it for anyone who has children, because it lacks a proper "pick up where you left off" memory function. So every time the DVD player is switched off, you have to go through the whole 5-minute "CopyRight Warning / DVD production company video / little Peppa Pig intro song / etc. etc." again before you can get back to the menu; or if half-way through a film, you have to get back to the same place. Since we rarely if ever watch an entire DVD in one sitting, this is a major pain - though I'm sure for those who just put in a DVD to watch it the whole way through, it would not be such an issue. It is also extremely noisy when you first put a DVD in.
22 comments|55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 13 September 2013
This would be an impressive enough DVD player anyway, given the look, quality and price of it. But the added bonus of being able to bypass all that spitefully inconvenient region coding nonsense with the hack which has been so thoughtfully provided by 'Gary' makes it even more versatile. You just type in that code once (in my case, as soon as the thing was plugged in, after only the very briefest of introductions) and the machine, realising you have outwitted it, declares itself to be 'Region 0' without any further fight whatsoever.

This is slim and it is sleek. Despite the fact that I am hurtling rather reluctantly towards middle age, I have no problems with reading the buttons on the remote control (that remote control takes 2 AAA batteries by the way, which are included). The DVD player comes with no leads, but I daresay everybody's got a SCART cable in the back of a cupboard somewhere. There is also the option to use something called a 'composite video jack' (or 'CVBS') - whatever that might be. Sensing I was out of my depth even by learning of its apparent existence, I decided to stick to my SCART lead, which I simply plugged in to the back of it and that was that.

You will need the remote control in order to explore the vast majority of what this machine can do. There is no volume control on it either, so you might need to sit there armed with the TV remote as well. The initial set-up of the thing was painless and that region hack took all of twenty seconds to type in, although you might want to factor in some additional time for that little jig of pure delight you will almost certainly feel like indulging in once the DVD player has completely surrendered to you; you know, in the pure euphoria of that moment when you realise that all those old 'Unsolved Mysteries' DVDs from the United States, which used to allow you to indulge your Robert Stack 'man-crush' and which you haven't been able to watch since your ex-wife got the old multi-region player in the divorce, are available for your enjoyment once again.

No? Oh well, that must just be me then.

The picture quality is good, even on a large screen TV. You can even zoom in on anything particularly exciting if you like. I have so far resisted doing that to Robert Stack, on the basis that anything else in my life to come might seem like too much of a let-down after experiencing something like that.

This fabulous little player also allows me to look at discs of JPEG files of my holiday snaps. I can even send them spinning around in 90 degree stages, meaning I can pretend I am an Australian in just two clicks of a button. The machine seems to spend rather a long time thinking about showing the pictures sometimes but, perhaps it just can't believe how incredibly attractive I am in most of them? Or, more than likely, it is just too busy laughing...

As a music player, I have tested this with both pre-recorded CDs ('30 Years of Bananarama' actually... well, any excuse!) and one that I burned myself, and they both work fine. There is a 'repeat' function and a 'random' one which help to bring a little additional excitement to those old familiar discs.

One feature of this player continues to outwit me (not a difficult thing to do, by any means) - anything and everything to do with 'Program View'. It's probably just me, but the instructions may as well be written in Mandarin, for all the sense I can make out of them. And the machine itself isn't talking. That whole subject is an unsolved mystery in itself if you ask me.
66 comments|91 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 November 2014
Wish I had read the other poor reviews before I bought this. I guess it's true what they say 'buy cheap, buy twice'. I bought the player in July 2014 and it lasted until September 2014. Initially, I thought I must have a box set of bad discs which I had bought used, however I had the same problem with other brand new discs bought. It freezes and jumps or just won't play the disc at all. I don't seem to be able to return the player, but will be looking into consumer rights, as you would expect it to last more than 2 months.
on 11 April 2013
I've just set it up..so far so good. Its compact and brilliant for the price! Especially as you can make it multi regional. Thank you for the handy info from a previous review. It worked .... Yay !
on 17 September 2013
This does what it says- very easy to operate,bargain price and converts to a multi-region dvd player within seconds.
I am a very happy lady- I dont like fiddly things to operate and this is very simple, looks good to.
on 5 April 2013
Does what its says, very easy set up 1 scart lead, plug in and away you go ,it plays only which is what I wanted ,great value for money , it takes up little room .highly recommended
on 1 May 2014
Having bought a similar unit for my two teenage grandsons last year, when my daughter said her DVD player failed I had no qualms in buying the newer version for her. Installation is easy peasy, press the ON button and away you go. Why cannot all technology be so easy ??
on 12 May 2013
This DVD is brilliant for the price. It is not top of the range, but it plays DVDs, quality is great and is was so easy to install, both on mine and my son's TV. Set up itself actually on both TV's.