5.0 out of 5 stars Life changing
Like other readers I strongly suggest you view her TED talks - but this book is an amplification and detailed explanation of the talk - it really enhances what she's saying.
Published on 4 Feb. 2013 by Rachel Irvine

3.0 out of 5 stars Repetitive
This book starts out well and is interesting, but like so many lifestyle-changing books, it runs out of steam quickly and just repeats itself. Overall I found nothing new here - a basic bit of CBT about changing how we view ourselves and how we present to the world; accept yourself as you are and "to thine own self be true".
Published on 11 July 2013 by Blue Monday

5.0 out of 5 stars Life changing, 4 Feb. 2013
First, for those unfamiliar with Brene's work, she is a 'proper' academic, researcher, but working in the less common academic field of studying vulnerablilty and shame. Now before you decide this book isn't for you - just think about some of these things she's discovered.

As we get older, wiser and more bruised by life's events - a lot of us try to shut down our feelings of vulnerability so we don't get hurt any more. We also try to comply to society's stereotypes of our gender (these are completely different for men and women - as a woman I thought the social prssure to be thin, pretty and have a perfect home was bad - just read her research on men's straitjacket). The problem is with this, is that we numb all our feelings. So if you don't feel bad, you don't feel good either. She identifies that so many of us believe we can avoid unhappiness by forboding - who hasn't had a moment of 'everything is going well - disaster must be about to strike', rather than accepting that if bad things happen, the missing out on enjoying the preceeding good years won't help?

I'm explaining this badly - she does it really well, with honesty, vulnerability and humour. I urge you to try this book - I don't think you will regret it. It will change your perspective on life, your approach to parenting and contributes to a more joyful, less scared and angry middle-years period.

5.0 out of 5 stars Invaluable advice for modern living, 11 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Daring Greatly: How the Courage to Be Vulnerable Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent, and Lead (Kindle Edition)
This is an absolutely fantastic book. I found so many great insights throughout the book that I could relate to my own life and how I react to and deal with emotionally stressful situations. Brown has a very open style and uses examples from her own personal life and her academic research. Take a look at her TED talks for an idea of what this book is about.

I'd especially recommend it for anyone involved in creative pursuits. There's lots of good info about dealing with emotional blockers that can stop us 'putting ourselves out there.'

2.0 out of 5 stars it gets seriously tedious and uninteresting after a while, 1 July 2014
While the author does make some interesting points, it's hard to find them unders tons and tons of redundant and meaningless words and anecdotes.

I stopped reading half way, it gets seriously tedious and uninteresting after a while. Like many others have said, all the points in the book could have been summed in 50 pages or less.

Save yourself some money and time.

5.0 out of 5 stars The antidote to living with shame, 7 Nov. 2014
J. A. Stoddart (UK) - See all my reviews
This is an amazing life changing book. Brene Brown captures attention through her authentic telling of her own story about coming to terms with shame. I use this book in my coaching practice and I've even bought additional copies for my coaching clients. It is a powerful and unsettling book that creates a mirror for the reader. Some of my clients can't read past page 8 without feeling overwhelmed by the reality of the message for them personally. Shame and it's corollary of needing to be in control all of the time are so common, but so destructime. They both feed the sense of resistance that Steven Pressfield talked about in the War of Art. It is amazing to me that we have to learn to be vulnerable in the 21st Century if we want to get the most from our lives. I would recommend this book to every school, to inform pupils and staff and help build their shame resilience.

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute must!, 26 July 2014
This book has the potential to change your life. An absolutely brilliant read and an absolutely must for the person who is seeking to understand patterns of behaviours and how they affect our every day lives. I have learned that stepping out and allowing myself to be vulnerable is indeed the key to happiness. Thank you Brene Brown!

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent book, 28 July 2013
This book is healing, insightful, reflective, inspiring, challenging and hopeful. For those wishing to lead a more compassionate, loving and forgiving life, with teachings and practices of how to have all of the above, while also having boundaries, knowing your worth and not allowing yourself to be a door mat, this book is a pathway to such enlightenment. A must have for those seeking and walking 'the path'.

5.0 out of 5 stars It should exist a 6-stars rating for this book!, 3 Dec. 2014
Alejandra Baron Cordido "ABC" (Barcelona, Spain) - See all my reviews
Boy how I enjoyed this book! Portraying vulnerability as a strength and promoting wholehearted lives in a culture of scarcity is a monumental challenge that I believe this book achieves remarkably. Through her humor, her soft writing style, some examples of her own life and her data to back up the info, Brene sheds light on shame and vulnerability in an exquisite way.
I would recommend this book to anyone, but the truth is that I don't believe it's for anyone, I think you should be in a 'good place' to fully take on the countless benefits that this book offers. I recently had an 'emotional enlightment' and this book helped me A LOT to manage my current personal development process.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dare greatly and engage fully in your life, 16 Dec. 2012
Being vulnerable is not a weakness, it requires great courage. Avoiding uncertainty, risks, and emotional exposure limits our lives. Fear leads to disconnection and lost opportunities. Our only choice is really to dare greatly and engage fully in our lives. It's only by showing up and letting ourselves be seen that we can make those unique contributions that only we can make.

In the book, Brené Brown explores what drives our fear of being vulnerable, how we are protecting ourselves from vulnerability, and - most importantly - how we can engage with vulnerability so that we can live our lives fully. As the book title says, this has consequences for how we live, love, parent, and lead.

Personally, I'm very interested in how the courage of being vulnerable can transform the way we lead. The most significant problems which people talked with Brené about stems from disengagement, the lack of feedback, the fear of staying relevant amid rapid change, and the need for clarity of purpose. She emphasizes the importance of taking direct action when blame and shame (bullying, public criticism & reprimands, reward systems that intentionally belittle people) is used as a management tool, because management by fear is very unproductive and totally unacceptable.

Brené provides a very well researched and important perspective on leadership, teaching, and parenting. I warmly recommend her book!

3.0 out of 5 stars Repetitive, 11 July 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb and very human book, 5 Feb. 2013
Brene Brown is a "Shame" researcher who brings evidence to show how our live improve when we share our vulnerabilities. Written in a very human style with lots of short and moving stories, she makes the case for how the pretence of invulnerability by business and political leaders is crippling business and society, as well as damaging our children.

Highly recommended reading for every human!