5.0 out of 5 stars Tough to beat for a full-featured, internet-capable weather station, 13 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Weather Station Wireless Professional WS2083 with Internet Upload + Free Beginner's Guide (Kitchen & Home)
This is an excellent personal weather station. I have had it going for a little over a year now and have just purchased another one for a gift the first one has been so much fun. It has all the main weather variables wind, rain, temp, humidity, pressure etc and a nice forecasting capability. It has a big data logger built in which can record around 4,000 readings which is twice that of my old La Crosse unit.

It was super easy to setup and came with a mounting pole so I didn't need any other bits. One complaint I have is that the cables for the rain gauge and wind sensors are very long. I understand this is so you can mount the rain gauge and wind sensors separately if needed but I have them all mounted on the mounting pole that comes with it. I have wrapped the cables around the mounting arms and it looks nice and tidy so no biggie.

I'm impressed with the accuracy you get given the price. It's no Davis but at a quarter of the price it's not trying to be. I'm a bit of a nerd so I like the graphing of the history using the software and I have it sending info to Weather Underground so can view it on my iPhone. All of that was pretty straight forward to setup.

Couple of tips, good quality batteries are a must especially for longer distances between the sensors and the console and don't use rechargeables. I initially had problems with rechargeables until I contacted Greenfrog who were very helpful and they pointed out the rechargeables are mostly 1.2V whereas non-rechargeables are 1.5V. Switched to standard lithiums (better than alkalines) and now getting good signal through two walls and then 10m.

Make sure the rain gauge is nice and level, it has a see-saw tipper inside it so needs to be mounted nice and straight. The rain gauge has a level built in fyi.

So for a first or second station you can't go wrong with the WS2083. I see Aercus now has a version with Light and UV readings the WS3083, maybe next birthday........

5.0 out of 5 stars Great performer !!, 9 Dec. 2013
Antoine Camilleri (Malta) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
After reading hundreds of reviews I realised that even the best brands were having critical reviews. This led me to invest in a cheaper alternative and the Aercus Weather Station fit the bill.

Setting up the station was very easy, and the long wires from the rain and wind gauge meant I could set up the "brain" (transmitter/temperature/humidity unit) in a shady, shielded location. This is crucial in order to get precise readings for temperature and humidity. Before writing any negative reviews as regards weather stations one must keep in mind that the placement of the humidity and temperature sensor is critical. Professional weather servers invest thousands in building the ideal housing (usually quite bulky) in order to have correct readings. Airports authorities invest a considerable amount of effort and money in order to meet the stringent standards for weather reporting.

So one just cannot expect to tie up one of these consumer weather stations to a pole and get great results !

Now for the weather station's pros and cons.

Pros:
Easy setup, with all the bits and bobs included... even zip ties!
Very accurate readings (ideally set the wind to gust). I can compare my readings to the airport a few miles away, and another coastal station (I live on the seafront) and readings are spot on.
USB interface easy to setup. I had my station set up to Wunderground.com in a few minutes.
Cumulus software works a treat with this station.
Build quality better than expected.
Impressive long range reception. (I have mine set up over 15 meters away with numerous stone walls and two re enforced concrete ceilings blocking line of sight).
Unit has survived and successfully reported gale force winds and torrential rain showers since setting up around 6 months ago.
Weather forecasting is very good, and gets better with time due to its learning capabilities.

Cons:
Unlike some other stations which report rainfall/ wind/ temperature at various intervals, this unit updates everything every 40+ seconds. Would have liked to see the wind being updated at least every 30 secs maximum.
Sunrise/Sunset, moon-phase and dew point are only displayed on the free (third party) Cumulus software (ie. the computer) rather than on the unit itself. Yet this is not a deal breaker when considering the accuracy and the price of the unit. Some other stations are not even compatible with Cumulus software.

Summary: I must admit that I have become a bit of a weather freak since I got this unit LOL.... It actually is very involving and interesting. A perfect unit for anyone interested in weather monitoring and very informative for kids too.

Update 8th March 2014. Unit still going strong despite being located on the seafront. I highly recommend this unit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product and Greenfrog are excellent., 19 Feb. 2014
The weather station was a Christmas present.
Unfortunately the item was delivered by Yodel!
They could not find the address although that was showing on the tracking information before they set out to deliver! It took several phone calls to Yodel before delivery was sorted with help from their more senior management.
Despite my fears it arrived undamaged and I am impressed with the build quality. It was relatively easy to assemble but I had researched, read the advice booklet, prepared beforehand and already got brackets and a sturdy 10 foot TV Ariel. The height to give the wind sensors,(taking care to align with due north rather than magnetic north,) and rain gauge space from hedges and trees to be reasonably accurate; the length of supplied cable allowed the temperature sensor to be attached to a north facing fence, shaded from direct sunlight, (important if readings are to accurate.)
Setting up was little problem though the transmitter struggled to connect to the radio controlled clock then after a couple of days of irregular connection decided it would no longer bother.
I was delighted with the attitude, service and support given by Kory at Greenfrog; Greenfrog should be highly recommended.
Given the opportunity I would certainly buy happily from them again . After a couple of emails they determined that it may be a faulty transmitter and sent out a replacement.
The new transmitter is now connecting regularly to the radio clock.
Wireless reception is good. The consul is about 25m away through a thick cobble and brick wall (with no cavity,) and there is no difficulty in connecting to the transmitter.
The station survived the very strong winds we have experienced recently and continues to record all weather data with good accuracy when compared with data from a RAF site a few miles away.
Cumulus is good software and it is easy to print off summary data and graphs for selected time periods.
If interested in the weather, look no further than Aercus and Greenfrog for a suitable wireless weather station.
Great value product sold buy a highly efficient company, so earns its 5 stars despite Yodel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great weather station for the price!!!!!, 10 Oct. 2013
This is a great product! We're very happy with it. Set up on our computer was a piece of cake and it keeps all the info and stats about your weather stored nice and safe. It is really nice to know how much rain fell in our own backyard.

I would recommend this to anyone who is looking for a great little weather station.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very impressed, 8 Oct. 2013
Great weather station. Much better than any I have previously owned. Very easy to install and set up and has the ability to download data to my PC for graphing. Like Technoline, Oregon Scientific etc the solar shield does an ok job but to get really accurate temperature readings you need to provide some additional shade which I did by building a simple plastic shield with lots of holes so that the air could still flow through. I would prefer a shorter update interval but you need a more expensive Davis for that. Overall I would highly recommend this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceeded expectations, 9 Oct. 2013
I was unsure of the quality I would be getting but was pleasantly surprised. It's not an industrial unit by any means but offers unexpectedly good performance and lines up with the data from much more expensive stations. It’s been through some strong winds and cold temperatures with no problems. Easy to set up and very happy with my first weather station.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought as present for weather mad wife, 27 Feb. 2014
I bought this after reading the reviews. Absolutely brilliant. We now have our own weather station!!
Easy to set up, easy to use.... just got to link it to a web page now.

Worth every penny

4.0 out of 5 stars suffolk, 25 Feb. 2014
had about a month ,no trouble putting up. works very well. early days,it sets its self up with connection. software is very good for checking all your data.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good instrument for the amateur, 23 Sept. 2014
Set up was very easy but it pays to follow the instructions precisely. I had problems with the outside temperature sensor as despite it being in a housing , as soon as the sun shone on it, it gave false readings. I therefore moved it as suggested to a shaded part of the house on a North facing wall and now readins compare favourably with other weather stations in the area.This did require purchasing some longer telephone cables to link the temperature sensor to the wind speed, rain and wind directions sensors as the temperature sensor houses the transmitter to send all data to the base station.I had placed the latter itmes on the roof for the most accurate readings. Using the free Cumulus software and Weather Underground website enables me to upload my data and compare others in the area which is brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb after sales service., 7 Oct. 2014
It's not just the weather station I like, but the after sales service. It is second to none.
I had a problem within the year and after 1 email to Aercus Instruments, spare parts were sent out to me.
Would certainly recommend.