4.0 out of 5 stars This the second book in the `Extinction Point series'
This the second book in the `Extinction Point series', and unless I greatly mistaken there will probably be another to follow, as the story and the events that have transpired so far seem , to me to be unresolved. Other reviewers on this site have given over the plot line to varying degrees. All I will say is that what you have here is death of humanity by rain to be more...
Published 18 months ago by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Day of the Triffids meets Alien: Part II
I read the first volume of this on my Kindle after spotting it in the lending library. I was pleased when I was offered this on Amazon Vine. The main protagonist, Emily, has left New York behind and is heading North to escape the perils of the alien invasion. She is travelling by bike, because she cannot drive. That is soon to change. There are many abandoned vehicles...
Published 20 months ago by

‹ Previous | 117 18 1923 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Favourite, 18 July 2014
This review is from: Exodus (Extinction Point series Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
Another exciting, compelling book. I NEEDED to keep reading but was sad to reach the end, like losing touch with friends.

1.0 out of 5 stars I did not see the point of it, 16 Aug 2013
This review is from: Exodus (Extinction Point series Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
I did not even like the main character and saw no reason why she survived. The plot was repetitive and predictable

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad but its taking a long while to get anywhere, 29 April 2013
A. J. Sudworth "tonysudworth" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I tried the first one in this series and while I thought it a good idea I did think it was slow paced and would
probably have left it - but Vine gave me chance to try the 2nd one in the series and I'm afraid my initial impression is confirmed
Its a clever idea , a new look at alien invasion and the consequences of that. And gives you some wriggle room with the effects of the cold on the aliens. And because they are so different it does feel creepy - so thats all good
But two books to do the initial journey North ? It seems that we get down into a huge degree of detail on some quite small pieces of action - unlike Peter Hamilton ..!
There are a couple of very good twists in the last section of the book - and a way forward that I did not think of at all so it is innovative but I have to say all too slow for me

4.0 out of 5 stars good part 2 of the trilogy, 3 Jan 2014
This review is from: Exodus (Extinction Point series Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
Exodus is a great 2nd book as part of the extinction point series, very good read. i can not wait for the final book launch in April.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 18 Nov 2014
This review is from: Exodus (Extinction Point series Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
Great story. You can't help but like Emily and Thor. Fast paced and thoroughly readable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gripping stuff., 22 Aug 2014
This review is from: Exodus (Extinction Point series Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
Well written, gripping action and good characterisation.

2.0 out of 5 stars simplistic and dull, 3 Aug 2013
D. P. Mankin (Ceredigion, Wales) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
No doubt avid fans will disagree but I found this story to be not only very simplistic but quite frankly extremely dull. Superficial characters, run of the mill prose and a linear plot all combined to make this a disappointing read. I'm probably showing my age but a great deal of modern sci fi lacks the tighter storytelling of the golden age. The continuing fascination with trilogies invariably dilutes what could be much better single novels. And don't get me onto the aliens...

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing sequel, 18 Jun 2013
Samuel "Samuel" - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I enjoyed the first book in the series, Extinction Point, so greatly looked forward to the sequel. The first saw the planet devastated by an alien plague; the second sees Emily, the heroine of the story, coming to terms with what has happened, and desperately fellow survivors. So what happens? Well, not a lot. There are a series of clichéd post-apocalyptic encounters with alien beings, a long and dull trek across America, and the story hardly moves forward at all. Sure, there's a twist at the end, but it hardly makes up for what goes before.

Emily is incredibly frustrating as a character. In many ways she is a mere caricature of a survivor, self-reliant and able to cope with horrific events with seeming ease. However, she is startlingly one-dimensional. Not once does she question why she alone has survived, or wonder what makes her unique - surely about the first question that anybody in that situation would ask. It all makes for a very unsatisfying read.

I'll persevere with the next in the series to see if things improve, but I'm not hopeful. There's far better post-apocalyptic stories out there.

4.0 out of 5 stars Can't wait for the sequel, 27 April 2013
Zola fan "Nana" (Hants, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I didn't realize until I'd finished it, but this book is the sequel to Extinction Point thus proving that Extinction Point: Exodus can be read as a stand-alone novel.
I started this book late in the morning and finished it at bedtime. It wasn't quite one of those books that you simply can't put down but I was very engrossed in it right from the first couple of pages and had to finish it.

This is my first foray into the world of sci-fi and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Earth has been invaded by deadly red rain leaving death and destruction everywhere. Emily Baxter, a New York reporter, is overjoyed when she makes contact with someone in Alaska. Survival may just be possible if she can make the hazardous trip to join what may be the only other people left alive.

I like the style of writing of Paul Antony Jones - no superfluous descriptions and technicalities, no long and boring episodes of introspection by the main character. In fact, Emily is very likeable and credible (she has never learned to drive) - I can't stand it when the survivors in post-apocalyptic tales conveniently possess the twin survival skills of Ray Mears and MacGyver. There's a good blend of alien action and natural hazards to keep this tale racing along and I never once felt that the plot was flagging.

I've just got to have the first book in this series now and go back to when it all began but, like I said earlier, this can be read on its own. Mr. Jones, get busy with the follow-up to Exodus please.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fantastic follow on, 15 Aug 2013
This review is from: Exodus (Extinction Point series Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
Again, I really enjoyed reading this fast-paced novel of a bleak future. Whilst reading the first novel, I wondered how the red dust affected people in a variety of situations and Paul Jones answered two of those questions nicely in this novel; one scenario was rather full of pathos when I thought it through. I am seriously looking forward to the third novel in the series, but I think there is a bit of a wait until it is released. Plenty of new twists to keep me guessing and excited about the fate of the major characters.

‹ Previous | 117 18 1923 | Next ›

Exodus (Extinction Point series Book 2)