on 10 February 2014
As a lover of Paris, even though I've never been there, it's on my bucket list! This gave me an insight into the city and its machinations, some of which really made me laugh. The book is written in an easy to read style and was a pleasure to read. Made me want to go there even more! Caz.
on 2 March 2013
Sorry cannot understand the 5 star reviews. I read this slightly amusing but plodding ancedote and learned more about the author's shopping preferences and frequent trips to the toilet than anything else.
on 17 September 2015
I must say I enjoyed reading this book. I felt I was walking alongside all of the action although I doubt I would have been able to follow the conversation in French.
on 31 December 2012
I came across the cover of this book during a browse on Amazon and was intrigued by its surreal cover and its off-beat title. Being a lover of Paris I looked inside the first few pages on-screen and was hooked immediately by the writer's readable and amusing style. Wanting to read more, I downloaded it.
I'm glad I did. The story (claimed as true by its author) is a remarkable mix of misadventures as Polly Fielding takes on the unenviable task of making a tiny Paris flat inhabitable in even the most basic way, as well as trying to get to grips with the French and their culture, which she rapidly discovers is subtly different from that of the English.
As well as telling us her story, Polly introduces the reader to Paris itself in all its glory as well as its more inglorious side. Many times I was taken back to places I recognised well from my own travels. I also found parts of the city I didn't know existed, such as the park on the roof of a railway station (memo to myself - must seek it now next time I'm there!). This is a very useful book for anyone wanting to get to know Paris through English eyes as well as being an engrossing and enjoyable story.
What make this an especially good read are the humour and pacing of the story and the genuine sense of warmth Polly Fielding obviously has for Paris, the French and most of all for her apartment.
on 11 February 2013
'Going In Seine' is an interesting and entertaining account of buying a flat in Paris and problems encountered. The author's obvous affection for Paris is infectious.
The humour with which the book is written makes it a very enjoyable read.
on 10 March 2013
Absolutely loved this book, easy read and gave me such a giggle in many occasions, great story. Give it a go