on 6 January 2015
The book is certainly interesting and the writers clearly did a lot of work and research into the book, HOWEVER, there is an alarming amount of misspellings in this book - one of them even being Tolkien's name written as "Tolken". Even the beloved Dr Seuss being called Dr Suess!

I realise that this doesn't take anything away from the actual content of the book, but it almost feels a little lazy on the part of the writers. For a book that is exploring the history and ideas behind a writer, I find it difficult to understand how there could be so many spelling mistakes in it.

Nevertheless, I kept reading. As a distant relative of Tolkien and a lover of Lord of the Rings, it was certainly interesting to read how Tolkien took so many of his ideas from mythology and his own surroundings. It's also nice to read the small stories behind the mythology which I enjoyed.

All in all, it wasn't bad. But the writers definitely need to check this over!
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 January 2015
I found the book fascinating, especially as I lived near Evesham and went to secondary school there (together with a Tolkien and a Suffield).

I first borrowed 'The Hobbit' from Evesham Public Library (far more extensive then), aged 14, on the recommendation of a friend, also an avid reader, and went on to read LoTR. Since then I have read both books many times, in English, French and Italian.

The research seems to have been wide-ranging, although I have reservations about the suggestion that some of the dialogue in LoTR is in 'Aysum dialect'.

The quality of the type-setting is a little disappointing; there are numerous typos. Nevertheless, I look forward to the other books in the series.
on 16 March 2014
Interesting. Describes how Tolkien came up with the names, descriptions of places in his books from his experiences and the areas he has lived in.Would recommend it to those who are fans of the books.
on 29 September 2013
love the hobbit and the lord of the rings found the book very interesting. very easy to download onto the free kindle app on my PC
on 17 August 2014
The book has information which as an avid Tolkien reader I have nit cone across before

Easy to read but informative
on 28 December 2014
Lots of better books about Tolkien out there, most available for the Kindle, have a look
on 1 May 2015