4.0 out of 5 stars A special Christmas movie with David Tennant
Merry Christmas everyone!

For my review for Christmas, I've decided to tackle on 'Nativity 2: Danger in the Manger' starring David Tennant.

Published 8 months ago by Tim Bradley

1.0 out of 5 stars WORST XMAS FILM EVER!!!
Published 8 months ago by B. Swift

4.0 out of 5 stars A special Christmas movie with David Tennant, 24 Dec 2013
Merry Christmas everyone!

I absolutely enjoyed watching this film which dad bought before Christmas. Because of my being a fan of 'Doctor Who', my dad knew I would like to watch this with David Tennant since he's well known for playing the Tenth Doctor from the new series. And it certainly has been a thrill of a ride. Some of the film's pretty outrageously funny and sometimes a bit rude for my tastes, but I couldn't help enjoy it. I hadn't seen the first film with Martin Freeman, but I don't think you need to watch that first before this as it's a pretty stand-alone Christmas film anyway.

David Tennant is wonderful in this. David plays the part of a young school teacher named Frederick Peterson, who's just moved into a new house with his wife Sarah (played by Joanna Page). Mr Peterson is to be the new teacher of St Bernadette's primary school in Conventry of the class under the influence of class room assistant Mr Poppy (Marc Wooton). Peterson becomes anxious as it's his first day and is rather taken back and shocked with the child-like and deranged attitude of Mr Poppy who makes life worse for him when taking charge of the kids. It gets even worse when Mr Poppy tries to persuade Peterson on a trip to Wales for a national song competition called 'Song for Christmas' which Mr Poppy and the children want to be a part of.

I found it extremely funny when David who plays Peterson gets annoyed with Mr Poppy especially during the auditions for babies playing the baby Jesus in the song competition and him banging his head on the table. He has a rant about it when he gets back home to his wife before his father shows up. I also enjoyed it when he gets hawled onto the bus by the children and becomes their prisoner. Also when he goes 'This is the best Christmas ever' and Poppy goes 'You're right, it is the best Christmas ever', I laughed when David as Peterson gritted through his teeth saying 'I was being sarcastic!'. I also enjoyed it when they were in the boats on the ferecious rapids and David fell out of the boat and got really annoyed with Mr Poppy when he thought he was going to drown when trying desperately to get back onto land. This a film that truly proves David's comedy and dramatic talents as a actor into full swing which I truly enjoyed.

Of course David doesn't just play Frederick Peterson as he also gets to play his twin brother Roderick Peterson, who's also in for the 'Song For Christmas' competition and is a composer for a church choir. This character David plays is the opposite to the first character he plays as the twin brother is pretty serious and lacking in humour. But it's so funny to watch him in his dark clothes and with the gothic music to hear in the background. I'm impressed with David's ability to play the two characters distinctly especially when they're in the same scenes together. Especially behind-the-scenes when David's playing the twins at the same time like a ventriloquist does with a puppet.

I like how behind-the-scenes, David has the ability to improvise lines especially when the 'donkey wouldn't move' in scenes when he had to put his pregnant wife on.

The rest of the cast are brilliant too. I enjoyed Marc Wooton's child-like performance as Mr Poppy and his scenes with David are truly sensational and his relationship with the kids is a wonder to which he must have enjoyed.

Joanna Page was lovely to watch in this, who was so sweet and certainly had a chemsitry with her on-screen husband David. The two of them would work with each other again in 'Doctor Who' in the 50th anniversary special 'The Day of the Doctor' where she played Queen Elizabeth I.

Another actor I know from 'Doctor Who' is Ian McNeice playing David Tennant's dad, and I know Ian as Winston Churchill in Who as well as being in 'David Cooperfield' and 'A Christmas Carol' with Patrick Stewart. Ian plays the part of the dad very well, as he looks down on the son who's a teacher with such disapproval and looks admiringly at the son who's become a success a church choir conductor with an OBE.

There's also Pam Ferris playing Mrs Bevan, the headmistress of St. Bernadette's school, who's lovely and sweet in this (far from her formidable performance as Miss Truchbull the headmistress from 'Matilda'). There's Jessica Hynes as well who plays Angel Matthews, the host of 'Song For Christmas' at the castle venue. And also there's Jason Watkins who plays Mr Shakespeare, the head of the rival school Oakmoor against St Bernadette's in the 'Song For Christmas' competition and has recently been in 'Doctor Who' with Matt Smith in 'Nightmare of Silver'.

This is truly a delightful Christmas treat with plenty of songs, plenty of feel-good humour and terrific acting from all corners as well as all actors. David Tennant's sensational in this and it's lovely to see him in something different other than 'Doctor Who'. I loved it when he told his brother and his father to 'shut up!' a lot in that pretty rounded Scottish accent of his and he truly is a delight to watch. So if you like David Tennant and still miss him from seeing him in 'Doctor Who', then go and buy this. Trust me, you will enjoy it and won't be too disappointed.

Again...Happy Christmas everyone!

1.0 out of 5 stars WORST XMAS FILM EVER!!!, 27 Dec 2013
B. Swift "budog007" (UK) - See all my reviews
OK, I'm a sucker for a Christmas film & will watch almost anything at least once, just so I can tick it off my Christmas movie list. However, this film really is one of the worst movies I've ever see & is such a massive disapointment having really enjoyed the original Nativity with Martin Freeman (5/5 stars) Nativity! [DVD]. There seems to have been very little thought to story plot or how the characters interact with each other. David Tennants characters are both (twins) under used & to much focus is placed on the Mr.Poppy (Marc Wootton). The camera work is very patchy at best and leaps from looking movie quality to 8mm home movie, in fact the whole thing looks very low budget. The songs are incomplete and seem only to be there to fill screen time as does the entire School trip to Wales itself which just drags on & on & on... to the point that in the end I really didn't care if anyone ever found them again (a good 30mins spent walking around fields (again, did they run out of budget! i.e. cheap set?). For the life of me I can't believe this was written & directed by the same person as the original Nativity (Debbie Isitt, if you're reading this review then your St., Bernadettes School report card reads 'must try harder').

4.0 out of 5 stars Christmas magic x 2, 11 Nov 2012
Just seen Nativity 2 - Danger in a Manger and it was every bit as good as its predecessor. The laughs come thick and fast with the same touch of pathos and emotion that makes it a real feel good movie. David Tennant is wonderful in role of the long suffering Mr Peterson and all the children are real stars. Go and see it or buy it when it comes out on DVD.

2.0 out of 5 stars misfire, 2 Jan 2014
T. Cosens (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Nativity 2: Danger in the Manger! [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Nativity was a heart warming festive treat with some great characters and a cast of entertaining children. Its sequel, Danger in the Manger, loses the charm and shifts its focus onto Mr Poppy. The problem is Mr Poppy is not the most likable of characters and is in fact borderline certifiable. All manic twitches and high pitched squealing, he doesn't offer any sort of endearment.

So it is with some trepidation that we look to the other leads for some support in propping up this festive re-hash. Unfortunately it also falls flat there. David Tennant is a great actor, but here he is wasted. In fact he seems bizarrely out of his depth, struggling to muster up anything more than caricature when playing the dual roles of Mr Patterson and his nefarious brother.

Also the children have grown up and don't have the same cuteness they did before. Not that that really matters as here all they are required to do is follow Mr Poppy around and jump about for their roof raising song at the finale.

The problem is the whole film smacks of a cash in. Rushed out to grab a Christmas audience and the odd amusing joke doesn't change this feeling.

It is a sequel we didn't ask for and on this evidence certainly didn't need. The first is a great Christmas treat, unfortunately Danger in the Manger is the Turkey. Steer clear and stick with the first one especially as a third outing is on its way this Christmas!

5.0 out of 5 stars My Christmas Cracker 2012., 31 Oct 2012
Well now,MY Wish List for this Christmas is endless ,BUT ,NAVITY 2,"Danger in the Manger" top's my list,I saw the first verson of this Navtivity story and was delighted with it,so were my Grt Grand Children. Now as we await this second story that has even a 'Retired Dr Who' ! ( David Tennant) in the cast I am certain this Will be a real Christmas Cracker !!Thankyou AMAZON.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top film!, 5 May 2014
This film entertains the kids and we adults love it too! Very funny in parts! Would highly recommend it to anybody!

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth bothering with, 15 Mar 2014
Simon H. Bailey (Edinburgh, Scotland UK) - See all my reviews
I have to say that I was very disappointed with this film. Nativity was funny, heart warming, and had a good story line. This film which seemed desperate to cash in on the success of the first one fails in so many ways. Dominated by the utterly annoying and completely unbelievable character of Mr Poppy, I found the plot to be lackluster and charmless. I felt embarrassed for David Tennant and Pam Ferris who are great actors, in what felt like a slap happy attempt at at film. I hope very much that there is no further sequel to this film. It was dreadful and I would not give it even one star if that option were available.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful Sequel, 25 Dec 2013
This review is from: Nativity 2: Danger in the Manger! [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
We absolutely loved Nativity and thus were extremely excited to watch Nativity 2.
Unfortunately other than having many of the original cast, Nativity 2 has completely lost all of the charm of the original. The plot- well there isn't really one worth mentioning but needless to say there are more holes than swiss cheese. The acting is likewise cheesy.
The songs are not as catchy and our children complained they could not hear the words to some of the numbers.
Really a poor effort.

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid like the plague!, 23 Dec 2013
This review is from: Nativity 2: Danger in the Manger! [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Loved the first one, but this was genuinely one of the worst films I have seen all year (if not longer). A real shame and painful to watch at times. Wanted to turn it off after 30 minutes, but was intrigued if it would get better. It didn't!

4.0 out of 5 stars LOVELY FILM WITH THE FEEL GOOD FACTOR, 27 Nov 2012
HAYLING BOOK & MUSIC VENUE (HBMV) "Hayling Is... (26 Rails Lane Hayling Island) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I took my 12 year old daughter to see this film and we both really enjoyed it.

The story is fun, well thought out and the filming and scenery in certain shots is beautiful.

Credit has to go to the children who acted very well indeed, showing great comic timing beyond their years.

It is great to see David Tennant in a different role (or roles to be precise). He ends up as the stooge to the class Assistant and I have to say, the two complement each other very nicely.

There is also a lovely nod to the Christmas story at the end.

And finally...it's all British!

Nativity 2: Danger in the Manger! [Blu-ray]
Nativity 2: Danger in the Manger! [Blu-ray] by Debbie Isitt (Blu-ray - 2013)
14.58