4.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional
Having finished this ebook only moments ago, I thought I would take a little time and offer my first ever book review.

Published 17 months ago by eumaeus

2.0 out of 5 stars An interesting read
An interesting read only if this period in history is of interest to you. Disappointing as a novel with weak or no character build, even the main characters are sadly two dimensional. With time and effort this subject could have made a terrific novel, and perhaps any follow ons may be better.
Published 13 months ago by TheVon

4.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional, 14 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Templar's Apprentice (The Outremer Chronicles Book 1) (Kindle Edition)

I am confident in having read a very high percentage of books relating to Templar, Crusades and Salah ah-Din etc. both as fact and fiction and feel that I can write with some authority albeit that of an amateur historian, though I'm sure a smart-ass or two will delight in pointing-out any error I make. I am the first to admit that I am not as elegant nor word proficient as other reviewers, for this I apologise.

Having followed a number of publishers on Twitter, I frequently found this title and author in my feed and thought I'd give this book a go. I must add that I am ashamed to write the author was then unknown to me.

When you start reading The Templar's Apprentice, it quickly becomes evident that we have an author who has grasped the knack in presenting a great story with a strong narrative. We start at a slow pace, the setting cleverly isolating the leading and supporting characters to set us on our path without barraging us with an assortment of names.

Our apprentice, setting and supporting characters continue to develop at a healthy rate, focusing on each in a manner that gives familiarity but not so much that it hampers our read. Reading from the eyes, thoughts and memories of the protagonist, we set out on a delightful journey; that is historically strong for a book of this genre.

It is plain from the start that the author has researched here, frequently presenting us with contemporary terms and names, however unlike some, does not go to great lengths to explain these. To continually explain what's and where's not only detracts from a story, I find it quite insulting. Peter Tolladay expertly continues with the story, assuming you are familiar with these words, or happy to turn for a moment to that omnipresent all knowing tool we call google.

Though-out our journey, we encounter Templars, including the Grand Master himself. Unusually for a book of this type, we do not dwell on ceremony or mysteries that many other have. For me this demonstrates an understanding of the period and the Order. Too often authors confuse Templar with Mason. Here we are made aware of Templar observations and obedience, with the author tactfully skirting ceremonies.

The story continues to gain speed, giving us plenty of pitched battles that include a little gore but certainly not disturbing in detail. The fight scenes in this book are expertly balanced and carry us smartly to a battle, where finally the armies of the Christian West, sweltering under the heat of the sun, charge headlong into the vast army of Islam and the great Salah ah-Din. A battle that has been retold in numerous books and movies but crafted expertly here. As the battle ensues we are not weighed down with bloody detail that you may find elsewher which I believe makes this book suitable reading for younger readers and giving an exceedingly good introduction to the period and dare I say honour.

spoiler alert: there are a few rude bits, just close your eyes, count to 10 and move on.

I'm teasing.

This book is about the development of the central character, supported by strong cast. It is only natural to include a chapter or two on the bonding of two people. We are given detail that isn't too graphic.

I did notice a couple of typos, which I would expect to see corrected in the next revision. These however were few (I've seen far worse) and didn't detract in any way from the story.

We have here an outstanding book. If you like this subject, you'd be a fool not to read this.

This is a Kindle exclusive, at £1.91 it is one heck of a bargain. Terry Tibbs would tell you it's `the sale of the century' and though I wouldn't go as far to agree, it must surely come a very close second. If you don't own a Kindle, I have to say you're missing out.

I've given this 4 stars. The book is exceptionally good, but anything can be bettered. So it is with a little regret that I will hold onto the final star for the foreseeable future.

Conn Iggulden watch out, we have here a challenger for your crown.

Oh, I'm going a little off piste here but can we please pressure the British government to drop the VAT on ebooks. Thank you, and thank you for reading. Now go download the book :)

2.0 out of 5 stars An interesting read, 10 Oct 2013

2.0 out of 5 stars A 'Boy's Own' Yarn, 16 July 2013
A read that is OK for a long rail journey but certainly makes no demands on the reader. Robyn Young's 'Bethren' a better read

4.0 out of 5 stars Cornwell / Iggulden fans will enjoy this., 8 Oct 2014
Free download with Amazon Prime so thought I'd give it a go.

The book is quite an easy read and reminded me at times of Kingdom of Heaven so it's in quite good company.

I usually read Bernard Cornwell or Conn Iggulden and the author is very much aiming at that genre of novel, and he didn't do a bad job. As this is only the first book in the series, and a lot of time is spent establishing the main characters it still flows quite nicely.

Took me about 3 days to read, which is on a par with others, so it managed to maintain my interest with some ease, and I'm quite looking forward to continuing the series. There are a few spelling mistakes, so historical inaccuracies (as mentioned in a previous review), but it's a novel, and I suspect the author meant it to be like that as trying to match middle-ages Frankish slang into a modern novel is never going to please everyone.

Certainly worth a read if your are into Cornwell / Iggulden, and you'll probably enjoy it too.

1.0 out of 5 stars The Templars apprentice, 10 Feb 2014
Bad spelling and grammar abound. The author needs to use a spell checker and have a proof reader. Bad spellings draw the eye and make it difficult to understand , not the best story but a decent effort.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superbly written and so engaging it will be a wrench to put it down, 8 Jun 2013
Once you begin reading clear your schedule because you won't want to put it down until it's finished. The characters are so engaging and believable as to become like friends. Thoroughly entertaining, superbly written and with a plot that flows like silk on a breeze without sacrificing historical accuracy.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read from a different perspective, 10 May 2014
Having read so many historical novels which are written from an English point of view it is refreshing to read something that has a joint French / English / Middle Eastern perspective . Altogether a good tale.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 5 July 2014
M. Hunter (Cairneyhill, scotland) - See all my reviews
Pacey flowing. Thoroughly enjoyed this book. I have read many Templar novels. this one it's great to read it from the actual time frame where others use it as hidden past written in the present.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Templers Apprentice, 7 July 2014
A great read, most enjoyable the author transports the reader to the middle east with great ease and lively art.

3.0 out of 5 stars An interesting read, 8 Oct 2014
To be honest I can't quite make up my mind about this book.
I finished it and looked forward to finding out what would happen next. I found the style both irritating but quietly charming. As for the central character and narrator, lIke think I found the same about him.
Definitely worth a read but I don't think I'll bother with the sequel, if there is one...