5.0 out of 5 stars One of the most interesting shows on tv
Girls is a great TV show.

I realise that I am probably the exact viewer that this show is designed to target (early 20s, female), but my fondness for this show surpasses how 'relatable' it is.

Published 4 months ago by natasha snaps

1.0 out of 5 stars WILL NOT PLAY
My DVD that I ordered must have been burnt rather than official. It will not play in either of my DVD players or my laptop. An error message appears saying that the image size is too large. Very terrible experience, would not recommend purchasing video/audio recordings through Amazon.
Published 2 days ago by Emily Clark

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the most interesting shows on tv, 26 Nov 2013
This review is from: Girls - Season 1-2 [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
Girls is a great TV show.

The characters are all great - deeply flawed, yes, but never boring. And despite the fact that they do fall into certain modern "tropes" (Jessa the "bad girl", Shoshanna the virgin etc.), they are nothing like the cardboard cut-outs that Sex and the City gave us.

This show is far more similar to something like 'Breaking Bad' than SATC; you love the characters despite knowing their damage.

It's just as much fun seeing them get into trouble - whether it's in their personal or professional lives - as it is to watch them sort themselves out.

Season 1 is very much a black comedy, whereas Season 2 can be surprisingly dark in places, especially later episodes such as 'On All Fours'.

There's also a strong overtone of the characters being part of a 'lost generation' - part of what gives the show its personality. As Hannah says in the pilot "I may be the voice of my generation. Or... a generation."

5.0 out of 5 stars LENA DUNHAM IS MY HERO, 13 Oct 2013
This review is from: Girls - Season 1-2 [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
This show is great and I wish I had written it. More than I have ever spent on a box set but worth every penny.

1.0 out of 5 stars WILL NOT PLAY, 16 April 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars "Listen ladies...", 19 Feb 2014
This review is from: Girls - Season 1-2 [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
You just have to give it a go, fat chance is - you are going to LOVE it!

This is one brilliant show, which well deserved the critical acclaim it got, and put Lena Dunham on the map (my map, anyway, after a bit of a research I found out Lena was rocking the world with her creations well before the "Girls").

Perhaps not from the pilot, but from the second episode I was hooked. The show is edgy, smart, funny, quite unique, different and a bit (sometimes more than a bit) awkward. Each episode is its own story, and each chapter is one brilliant sitcom in its own right. The series slowed down in the middle episodes of Season One, there was, at times, a lot of over-dramatising (and a bit of over-acting in the beginning). The Second Season has solid srtories from Shoshanna's relationship with Ray to Hannah's OCD (brilliantly done! If you ever had even a mild form of OCD, you will appreciate and recognise the motions Hannah goes through). Overall, the show was very much enjoyed by me.

I loved all of the characters, from narcissistic and aloof Jenna to uptight Marnie, and curious, honest, with a wry sense of humour, phenomenal (and embracing it) Hannah, and, of course, Shoshanna, who lives by the rules of bad reality shows and self-help books with titles like "Listen Ladies: A Tough Love Approach to Love" (but she grows up a lot in Season Two).

Time flew by! (And I appreciated less than half an hour episodes - you can watch a few and still have an evening left!) Yes, when I think about this I admit there is not a lot of philosophising going on, and I appreciate a lot of people may think there is no substance to the series, no glowing idea behind "Girls". But I tend to disagree. And in any case, I think the series is a great way to banish the boredom and cringe at the mistakes made by someone else, rather than you.

P.S. And you have to check out the soundtrack!

P.P.S. Have I mentioned that I love this show?!

5.0 out of 5 stars Greatest American TV series ever made?, 2 April 2014
J. Adams "Jess in Sydney" (Sydney, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Girls - Season 1-2 [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
I started watching this on a long plane and bus trip with a bad cold. Hours later, I had forgotten the cold and was so hooked I was literally still watching it without bothering to unpack my suitcase. I loved the extremely generous amount of extras on the double DVD box set of Series One and Series Two, purely because I was so utterly addicted I felt bereft when I got to the end of all the episodes. The inside looks at each episode and voice commentaries are a real comfort once the series is over. Now, this is what is different about Girls...At no point did any of the cast seem to be acting. Essentially, it's a series about real love and sex, as enjoyed (and sometimes not enjoyed) by real people. Everything that happens in it will have happened to you or one of your friends. There's a 'Yes, I know that' feeling about so many scenes. You will punch the air and yell, when one particularly awful male character is dumped. And you will be stunned and moved by the subway scene where another character realises she is in love for the first time in her life. Most of all you will be amazed by the way Lena Dunham directs herself in every sex scene looking seriously overweight and not giving a damn. I had to think hard about this, and all the US DVD box sets I have ever owned in the past, including Seinfeld, but I really do think Girls is the greatest American TV series ever made. Lena Dunham and her colleagues have created something that people will still watch in 100 years from now, just to see what we were really, really like.

5.0 out of 5 stars great series, 31 Mar 2014
This review is from: Girls - Season 1-2 [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
love it, not for the under 18's as explicit but very funny and quirky, arrived on time, good quality, highly recommend

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining if a little self-serving, 30 Mar 2014
This review is from: Girls - Season 1-2 [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
While an entertaining insight to the world of late early twenty-somethings, I have found the unreliable narrator's plot lines and insights somewhat self-satisfying and a little too neatly packaged to predefined categories to be truly believable. Yet, I would recommend this series as it is not quite as shallow as many others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brillinat, witty, raw, dirty and uttery, utterly fresh., 17 Mar 2014
This review is from: Girls - Season 1-2 [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
Genius. Witty, raw, dangerous, dirty, fresh, shocking, layered, truthful, alive, poignant - and very, very brave of the actor, writer and star - 24 year old Lena Dunham. This is the fourth wave for feminism. First Wolstonecroft, then Pankhurst, then Greer, and now - Lena Dunham.

Not like anything else you have every seen before. Brilliant and to be relished.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible series, 24 Feb 2014
This review is from: Girls - Season 1-2 [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
This series is just INCREDIBLE!!! Lena Dunham is a genius and the characters are brilliant and it's so funny! Must-buy boxset!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!!, 12 Feb 2014
This review is from: Girls - Season 1-2 [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
How refreshing! Funny, savvy, raw, real!! Women in the ascendency; more, more, more!! We loved it and are in a total grief state now that we've run out of episodes to watch, ( yes, vv sad I know!!) roll on series 3! :)

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0x99bda9f0)

Girls - Season 1-2 [DVD] [2013]
Girls - Season 1-2 [DVD] [2013] by Lena Dunham (DVD - 2013)
12.50