5.0 out of 5 stars One of the most interesting shows on tv
Girls is a great TV show.

I realise that I am probably the exact viewer that this show is designed to target (early 20s, female), but my fondness for this show surpasses how 'relatable' it is.

Published 14 months ago by natasha snaps

3.0 out of 5 stars Girls dvd box set
Bought for my daughter - on request! Thoroughly enjoying the dvds
Published 24 days ago by missymop

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the most interesting shows on tv, 26 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Girls - Season 1-2 [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
Girls is a great TV show.

The characters are all great - deeply flawed, yes, but never boring. And despite the fact that they do fall into certain modern "tropes" (Jessa the "bad girl", Shoshanna the virgin etc.), they are nothing like the cardboard cut-outs that Sex and the City gave us.

This show is far more similar to something like 'Breaking Bad' than SATC; you love the characters despite knowing their damage.

It's just as much fun seeing them get into trouble - whether it's in their personal or professional lives - as it is to watch them sort themselves out.

Season 1 is very much a black comedy, whereas Season 2 can be surprisingly dark in places, especially later episodes such as 'On All Fours'.

There's also a strong overtone of the characters being part of a 'lost generation' - part of what gives the show its personality. As Hannah says in the pilot "I may be the voice of my generation. Or... a generation."

5.0 out of 5 stars LENA DUNHAM IS MY HERO, 13 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Girls - Season 1-2 [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
This show is great and I wish I had written it. More than I have ever spent on a box set but worth every penny.

5.0 out of 5 stars The female version of Inbetweeners, 25 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Girls - Season 1-2 [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
I kept hearing about this TV Series but was having no joy trying to stream it from Netflix or lovefilm. When I saw how cheap it was to buy series 1 & 2 I decided to just bite the bullet and buy it - which is not something I don't usually do when I don't know for sure if I will like it.

When I read the blurb I couldn't help but think of sex ant the city - I mean 4 girls living in New York City with the main character being a writer?!?! - but it's nothing like it at all. I love SATC but as with most films and TV series it is a Hollywood, shined and polished version of events. Girls is gritty and straight forward. I refer to it as 'real life TV' because I feel it is a very honest account of what life is really like for normal young women living in NYC. (or at least what I imagine it's like because I have always lived in the English Countryside). If you have seen Breaking Bad, you will understand what I am trying to say - it's grubby and shamefully truthful. There will not be any slow motion scenes of the girls strutting arm in arm down the street wearing their brand new manolo blahnik's but there will be plenty of scenes that will make you laugh out loud. There are also a lot of cringing scenes - do not watch with your parents!

I really love this TV series. I watched three seasons in 2 weeks. I love how honest it is and I love that it doesn't make me feel guilty about myself. The girls are normal sizes - none of that size 0 rubbish. The girls relationships with each other and other people are very honest as well. They get fed up with each other, argue, complain about each other behind their backs and go through natural phases where they don't see each other as much as they used to. All the characters are flawed and that makes you really like them. They are just like us. It just feels like reality and it does cover a multitude of topics. I can relate to so many things in it and I think that's why it is so popular.

This is not something I would go around recommending to everybody, because I know certain people that would hate it. I can see that the unashamedly cringe moments that I love - might turn other people off. However I think all the reviews have been pretty honest and clear and you know if it will be your sort of thing or not. If you think it does sound like something that you'd like, then just go for it and buy it. I've watched it all once already but I know that it's something I will watch plenty more times in the future as well.

4.0 out of 5 stars A look at life in the 20s age group, 23 May 2014
This review is from: Girls - Season 1-2 [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
Very interesting view of life in downtown NYC well deserved rating. Would buy further instalment when available, which hopefully will be soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars My new favourite programme!, 22 May 2014
This review is from: Girls - Season 1-2 [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
Love this. It's so quirky and original with something for everyone. Lena Dunham is great! Wish the episodes were longer. Highly recommended!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars self-absorbed New Yorkers, 21 May 2014
Julia Lemkey (Pontyclun, Mid Glam United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Girls - Season 1-2 [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
A beautiful illustration of how self- absorbed some people can be. No awareness of any other factors in the world but for those that impact on their daily lives, no thoughtfulness or caring. Intriguing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab!, 13 May 2014
This review is from: Girls - Season 1-2 [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
The sex scenes are outrageous but real, and main lead wrote it and has lived experience of obsessive compulsive disorder.

5.0 out of 5 stars Girls - Lena Dunham A Rated X Rated !, 5 May 2014
This review is from: Girls - Season 1-2 [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
Absolutely love this series ! Off the wall Sex in the City !! Explicit Sexual Scenes Watched all of the episodes back to back like a good book when you can't put it down ! Lena Dunham is one clever , talented lady !!

4.0 out of 5 stars Sociological satire, 27 April 2014
E Davenport "lit-lover" (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Girls - Season 1-2 [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
Makes for interesting (sometimes excruciating) viewing. Recommended by a friend to help us better understand and appreciate our averagely dysfunctional 20something kids, there were many darkly humorous moments. Made us glad to be 50somethings!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 22 April 2014
This review is from: Girls - Season 1-2 [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
Highly addictive with great performances and another viewpoint on living in up the Big Apple. Can't wait foe Season 3.

Girls - Season 1-2 [DVD] [2013]
Girls - Season 1-2 [DVD] [2013] by Lena Dunham (DVD - 2013)
Used & New from: £28.78