Format: DVD|Change

on 3 December 2014
Wow where do I start?

I used to watch The Clone Wars series on and off until a few years ago. Infact the 3 series was the only one I watched start to finish when it was originally on. However I've not watched the show since. It was mostly due to being both busy with college and time slot and channel shifts.

However recently my interest in the series was renewed due to a friend loaning me his box set of the 3rd series. I forgot how much I liked the show and wanted to continue watching. Especially since the 3rd series leaves a number of plot threads dangling. Most notably the Savage Oppress arc. (probably the best arc next to the Mortis arc).

I was.unable to locate dvds of the series in my area and I was dying to find out what happens next so I thought I'd give Amazon a shot. Low and behold the site delived. I was hoping to pick up the 4th series but I found the box set for the entire 5 series run for about 50 euros and though that was a steal. I had to have it.

Now I've got to compliment Amazon on delivery, they sent it out a day earlier than I expected. It's always nice to be surprised and I appreciated the timely arrival. Especially as I couldn't wait to watch the series. (I'm a massive spoiler phobe)

In.the month I've had it I've binge watched the entire 100 or so episodes about twice. I've been absolutely enamoured with this series. It has a slow start (infact I didn't even really like the original Clone award movie much) but the first two series are full of gems. But the series seriously seriously starts finding it's feet with the 3rd series and never losses steam :) there are so many great arcs or individual episodes, the story telling on this series is absolutely incredible.

On top of all the episodes every series features numerous behind the scenes featurettes offering bit sized companion pieces expanding of the cast and crews thoughts and efforts on working on this show. There's a lot of passion and talent involved and it's all on display here.

I'm dying for more, unfortunately the final series, the mini series "The Lost Missions" has yet to receive a European release so I'll be waiting a while yet on that.

I wholeheartedly recommend this box set in terms of both value and content. If you're a Star Wars fan and are dying for fantastic stories from a galaxy far, far away. I can guarantee you'll love this :)
on 20 December 2013
As a Star Wars fan, I approached the Clone Wars animated series with some trepidation. My 12 year old son converted me just as I converted him to the films. The Clone Wars take place between Episodes 2 and 3, and Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi are the heroes. This is the heroic part of Anakin's life, and it is as rousing and brave as you could imagine.

The animation borders on the remarkable (it improves from series to series), the writing is at least as good as any of the films (and better in some cases), the acting is also good, and the saga told (so far) is compelling. My son loves the fights - there are loads of these - but there is much more to the Clone Wars than fight scenes. There is an entire episode based on Kurosawa's Seven Samurai. There are connected episodes, trilogies, quartets, even quintets within the series. Some feature the main players, some R2-D2, and introduce new heroes (like Asokah Tano, Anakin's ill-fated Padawan learner) and villains (Asajj Ventris, Pre Vizla, Savage Opress) as well as a revived Darth Maul and Chancellor Palpatine (still not revealed as evil!).

Each disc has 22 stories (22 minutes long) until Series 5 (20 spisodes). That's 108, if you're counting. That's about 50p an episode for a total of 2,376 minutes of action (and credits).

If you like Star Wars, you'll love Clone Wars. And get it on Blu-ray - it is eye poppingly brilliant. Thanks George. Wonderful.
88 comments| 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 10 June 2016
This is the complete collection of Seasons 1 to 5 of "Star Wars: Clone Wars" on Blu-ray. It consists of five seasons box sets, housed in an attractive (although somewhat flimsy) slipcase. In total there are 15 discs, offering 108 episodes. This show ran from 2008 to 2013, and here it's presented in hull HD - with amazing audio and picture quality.

The series tells the story of what happened between the live-action Star Wars films "Attack of the Clones" and "Revenge of the Sith" - as the Republic battles against the Separatists. This is a CGI animated series, intended for both children and adults. Many of the central characters from the films appear in the show - such as Anakin Skywalker, Obi-Wan Kenobi, and Yoda. And there are several new characters - such as Ahsoka Tano and Cad Bane. The animation works brilliantly, and the voice-acting is excellent.

Throughout, the adventure focuses on action - on battles and conflicts between the opposing sides. The key antagonists are Grievous, Dooku, bounty hunters and mercenaries, Darth Maul, the Nightsisters, and Asajj Ventress. For the most part, the story concerns Anakin and his apprentice Ahsoko engaged in missions to defend both the Jedi Order and the Republic. Many episodes are one-shot missions, although taking place in the grander story-arc presented throughout each season.

This set does not contain the 'Star Wars: The Clone Wars' film - which was released in 2008, and serves to introduce the Clone Wars saga. Moreover, it omits 13 episodes - which were, for various reasons, not incorporated into the five main seasons. These 'Lost Missions' have been released separately. It would have been nice to be able to get everything in a single box set ...

This show was very popular - and, upon it coming to an end, a follow-up series has been made: "Rebels". In this sequel show, we get to see what happens between "Revenge of the Sith" and "A New Hope".

The 'Clone Wars' show is highly entertaining - and a lot of fun. I found that the first season tended to move rather slowly, focussing on introducing the characters. Seasons 2 to 5 were faster paced, with far more intense action. It was great to see how the Galactic Republic crumbles, and how the plans of the Sith come to fruition. If you're a Star Wars fan, I thoroughly recommend this collection.
review image review image
on 24 October 2015
Not much to say, it's brilliant. Watch it.

Okay so maybe there's more. This is for Star Wars fans young and old with enough action and lightsaber swishing and pew pew pew for younger watchers and plenty of the good old fashioned Star Warsiness for the rest of us.
The Clone Wars follows the exploits of Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi as they lead their clone troops against the hordes of idiot battle droids and some genuinely threatening baddies.The real gem of this series is that it expands the conflict and fleshes out a lot of background characters from the films who have great backstories and keep the action fresh. Obviously there are some episodes which aren't as well written and the animation definitely improves in later seasons but it is easy to overlook these flaws with just how much good there is going on.
Finally we get to see Anakin as we should have seen him in the prequels as a noble but conflicted Jedi Knight. We get to see flashes of his anger and rage breaking through but it is usually at points where I feel it is kind of justified, such as beating information out of a prisoner to save his apprentice. This makes much more sense than "I've had a stressful day so I'm gonna kill me some children" Anakin that we see in the films.
The greatest asset in this series is that we are introduced to the Clones and the creators do a brilliant job of making them into solid individual characters. This series allows us to see the cost of war on these disposable soldiers, although it shies away from some of the deeper moral implications of the Jedi leading an army of what are essentially slaves. Other characters of note include a young and very angry Boba Fett and a pirate named Hondo who at some point the creators decided to give all the good lines.
There isn't much more to say except WATCH IT NOW!
on 1 November 2015
The review that follows contains the thoughts of my 7 year old daughter. It's always good to offer a perspective from kids, for other parents who may be considering this for their own children. And in particular, it's good to remember that Star Wars is not just for boys!
###
[What do you want to say about Clone Wars?]
"I really like the adventures they go on. And my favourite character is Ahsoka. In season 1 you'll start to learn lots about their first adventures in The Clone Wars. You'll also find in season 4 that a villain we thought was dead comes back to life. And in season 5 there have been lots of episodes about Ahsoka."

[I asked her about what she thought of the way it looks, sounds, etc.]
"The art is very creative. And the sound just makes you a bit...nervous...happy...sad...and also a bit scared."
[I asked her to explain how it makes her a bit scared, as this should be understood for parents.]
"Well, the scary parts are mostly the battles that the Jedi have with the Separatists. It makes you a bit nervous about who's going to win. If the Jedi are going to win...if the Separatists are going to win..."
[Is it a good kind of scared or a bad kind of scared?]
"It's a good kind of scared."

[Anything else you want to say?]
"The best heroes are Ahsoka, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Anakin, Mace Windu, Rex, Cody, Echo..."
[Who are the best villains?]
"General Grievous, Asage Ventress, The Night Sisters and Count Dooku."

[Would you recommend this show to your friends?]
"YES! Definitely."

####

As the paying adult, I'll add a few notes:
As of this review, we are approximately midway through season 5...so we have not finished every single episode prior to review. I *have* seen some info online suggesting that some folks have had trouble with audio synchronization on disc 2 of season 5 ... time will tell. But it sounds like these errors were corrected easily with replacement discs directly from the publisher.

The visual presentation regularly impresses me. If you've not seen the show, the animation really shines, particularly in any battle scenes. Sound, too, is top-notch...and this is only through the built-in speakers of our telly. No doubt it sounds amazing with a decent sound system.

Whilst there are episodes of Clone Wars that are clearly weaker than others, there are some story arcs which truly shine, and even some which achieved an emotional reaction from me as an adult. This is something even the films struggle to do at times. This is where Clone Wars really sets itself apart. The characters are very strongly developed. Anakin himself is a joy to watch onscreen, unlike his big-screen counterpart!

Ahsoka Tano is easily the best thing to come out of Clone Wars. I am biased, of course, as I do have a daughter. But she is objectively a strong female lead, and never crosses the line into irritation. She belongs up-front, and is a believable leader. It takes no stretch of the imagination to see troops taking orders from her, particularly in the later seasons.

I would recommend this to anyone with a kid who is into Star Wars, particularly daughters who might be looking for a strong, female hero with whom they could try to identify. I would also recommend this to any other Star Wars fan, be they a youngling or a Jedi Master, who found that the prequels, whilst having value, lacked the polish of the original characters.

This series has made me like Anakin again. It has made me hope that we get a stand-alone Obi-Wan film. And it has made me really appreciate strong female leads.

Finally, this is great value for money, especially considering the comparatively idiotic price being asked for Season 6 by itself.
on 16 January 2016
Some have suggested that this should've been the story arc for Episodes I-III? It's enthralling. Good storylines in animated format with clone troopers dropping left, right and centre and Separatist baddies adding great depth to the back stories. Are the Jedi really the defenders of peace and justice or just another militarised Order who have become complacent and lost their way...? Great goodies v baddies for children 5-8 years, moral-testing for older children and genuinely thought-provoking for those of us adults that grew up with the first trilogy, Episodes IV-VI. I just hope that Star Wars Rebels evolves in a similar manner. Well worth a purchase...
on 29 November 2013
Like many other on here season 5 would not play at all in my blu-ray player, amazon kindly sent a replacement but it had the same issue. I decided to keep the box set as it was still good value and went on to WB website & emailed them explaining the problem, that got back to me very fast and after sending them my address and proof of purchase they overnighted me replacement working disks via DHL from the states

Amazing service from Amazon & WB

Anyone buying this set should be aware of the problem but it can be fixed
on 6 December 2014
when I first saw the trailer for the clone wars film I wasn't sure, however after watching the first season it grew and grew on me, you would think (because of the animated style) that it's very kid orientated and in a way, yes it is. but! You will find out that Dave filoni (supervising director) has us older fans quite in mind whilst making the episodes. They also mesh great with all 6 film episodes with nothing that really doesn't fit. It's a tragedy that Disney canceled this franchise as they wanted the Rebels series to start up along with the films (as you can't have a rebels tv series running along side a clone wars series) which is a real shame as (not inclueding season newly released season 6 lost missions which joins it up to episode III they had two other seasons written before that. They are you'll find though commited to telling any storylines left open though (I won't explain as it spoils) but there will be books and comics to tie up loose ends.

So over all. If your a Star Wars fan. Young and old, but it!
on 21 October 2014
This is fantastic BD package include all seasons of Clone Wars with reasonable price. Ordered on Monday and arrived Tuesday next week to Tokyo Japan without express services. Regarding to S5 disk, it looks working fine so far. As spoken language ENGLISH, FRANCAIS, NEDERLANDS, DANSK, NORSK, SVENSKA are included. For subtitle, spoken languages plus SUOMI. I wonder if Japanese is included even for subtitle, wanted to give 6 stars.

日本への配送は速達を使わなくても8日程度(予告されていた日付よりも約8日早い)で到着。
残念ながら日本語は音声も字幕も含まれておりませんでした。
(リージョンフリーなので、日本のBDレコーダ、PS3(いずれもSONY)で再生出来ました。)
日本語字幕でも入っていれば星6つでしたが。。。
on 13 February 2014
Got my box some weeks ago , after the "re-stock" and season 5 disks plays on both my two blu ray devices a standalone Panasonic and Sony PS3 , so I guess the fixed the disk issue