1,891 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Creepy, tense and compelling.
I haven't come across this author before, but on the strength of this read, she's on my list of favourites.

Published 19 months ago by Bookie

3.0 out of 5 stars Distinctly bizarre
With 2.5 stars given (I know rounded up to 3) I'm settling right in the middle with this one. After the first couple of chapters I was ready to give up but it got marginally better later on.

Good points:
It's a detective story which rattles along without getting bogged down in technical detail. At no point does it really sound like a police report...
Published 15 months ago by R P Rochford

5.0 out of 5 stars Creepy, tense and compelling., 6 Jun 2013
Bookie (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Detective's Daughter (Kindle Edition)

This is a tale where every character has a different and totally plausible voice. I can't say I felt empathy toward any of them, but that was of little consequence in a story where the complexity of the plot takes the reader on a journey which is truly chilling. The fact that the action, in the main, takes place during the winter, when falling snow affects a number of scenes, adds an almost tangible chill to unfolding events, both figuratively and literally. The POV switches between the principals, but the craft of the tale is in the very slowly unfolding 'reveal'. It kept me guessing well into the plot, although some clues were dropped along the way. This is a story of obsession; it's almost a study in obsession as every character has idiosyncrasies which control or dominate their life in different ways.

This is an inventive and compelling page turner. Apart from the characters and plot, Lesley Thomson has a real skill in creating a palpable sense of threat and menace. This is a rare talent. It takes a lot to make me feel unsettled, but there were some really chilling scenes. Nothing gory, but tension just crept up and up and reading late at night could be disturbing. It really is that good. Enjoyed it and like any great read, was sorry when I'd finished and had to find something else to match the enjoyment.

3.0 out of 5 stars Distinctly bizarre, 29 Sep 2013

Good points:
It's a detective story which rattles along without getting bogged down in technical detail. At no point does it really sound like a police report!
Every loose end is tied up at the conclusion leaving nothing to the imagination - I guess that's a good point.
The story grabs the reader because, although the outcome is quickly obvious, you still want to find out the details - and there are some clever details. (Like the connection with the red engine.)

Bad points:
It's odd. Seriously odd. Weird doesn't come near it.
Every single character (more caricatures)clearly belongs in official accommodation - the kind with padded walls.
Characters change character between the start and the finish. Yup! Honestly, they do.
The narrative flips forward and backward in time with absolutely zero indication it's about to do so. Halfway through a bit of dialogue you realise it's making no sense then, finally, figure out that's because half the dialogue was between two different people ten years earlier!

Overall:
I'd kind of recommend it. I enjoyed the book in the end - for what it is rather than for what it's clearly not. There were times I felt certain the author might have written while under the influence of, err, something. It's certainly the feeling you get when you read it!
This book is enjoyable in the same way a TV soap is - the plot is predictable, the acting poor - but you just can't be bothered to change channel.

1.0 out of 5 stars Reads like a police report of a crime scene, 15 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Detective's Daughter (Kindle Edition)
Shame, I was looking forward to this book. But the writing style is not for me. As others have said in previous reviews, the characters are under-developed, and I cannot get to like or care about any of them. I am also confused by odd sentences being thrown in at inappropriate places and breaking the flow of the narrative. The descriptions read like a report rather than helping to build a picture for the reader - do we really need to know that Terry's chin was scented with Gilette series aftershave splash cool wave and his hair smelt of Boots anti dandruff shampoo for men? Good writing is about giving just enough away to trigger the reader's own imagination.....this sounds more like the author was paid for advertising already well known brand names.

Sorry, I don't like to give bad reviews, and on the few occasions I have, it is usually when I have just made the painful decision that enough is enough. Sadly, I have reached that point.

5.0 out of 5 stars An air of menace, 24 Jun 2013
Caroline (Roxburghshire, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Detective's Daughter (Kindle Edition)
I bought this because I am a detective's daughter myself, and it was inexpensive for kindle. I was drawn in straight away, and could not put it down. The narrative is written from several perspectives and initially took great concentration to know whose eyes you were seeing through. I read on, late into the night, then was scared going to bed through the dark house! One of the main characters sneaks into other people's houses, and remains undiscovered -really creepy! I was completely absorbed by the interwoven lives in the plot, and genuinely surprised as the murderer was revealed. It took me ages to warm to the characters - but that didn't matter, and I don't think the author intended us to anyway. I m about to search now for the other one she has written, can't wait.

5.0 out of 5 stars You'll have to read this twice - and you will want to!, 15 Jun 2013
I think she's done it again ... i read A Kind of Vanishing on a friends recommendation and really enjoyed it, so was very pleased to see this come out. Thompson writes a strong whodunnit, but her storylines and characters are so much deeper on many levels that the books need a second reading because first time around you will miss some of the detail and crafted prose as you get sucked in to the plot.
Like her first book, she moves around in time and uses the ability we all have to remember things as we would like them to be, rather than as they actually were, but this is not confusing, it adds to the layers.
Initially, I found it a little distracting that characters from the first novel cropped up in this one, I felt perhaps it was un-necessary - but since then it has occurred to me that in the first novel, two mothers 'lost' their daughters because of a crime and in this one, two children lost their parents or their childhoods because of one ... very interesting Lesley - yet again you have produced a crime novel that I am still thinking about a month after I read it ... well done!

1.0 out of 5 stars The Detective's Daughter, 3 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Detective's Daughter (Kindle Edition)
I have been trying to read this book for some time now and kept thinking that I really should persevere and finish it despite the fact that I am not enjoying it. However, having read a lot of the reviews, I have come to the conclusion that it is not just me that finds it a terrible read and I won't be bothering to finish it. I hate most of the characters, can't work out what is going on most of the time and really don't care who done it. The writing is awful when it's not being unintentionally comical (a fear of a paint colour!) . Don't bother!

3.0 out of 5 stars Slow & Dificult, 2 Nov 2014
I found this an incredibly slow book. I kept reading through thinking that things would start to progress a little faster but it didn't really happen.

Stella is the Detective's Daughter. She runs a cleaning agency and is very organised and regimented in her lifestyle. When her Father dies she becomes interested in one of her Father's old cases for which he had all of the documents. Stella is not a particularly nice character and is prone to quite a few convenient inconsistancies. Her taking on of Jack as a cleaner is a very glaringly out of character action which I was unable to ever fully align to her character. There are several situations like this which led me to think that the author had created too defined a character when writing Stella which didn't comfortably allow for the actions that the story required. I struggled to feel any compassion or empathy with her.

Jack was just plain weird. The circumstances of his childhood did allow for some of his strangeness but I felt the author went a little far & much of it was never explained. Did he ever really live secretly in people's houses or was that in his imagination?

The plot of this book didn't flow particularly well. I didn't find myself being carried along keen to find out what happened next. I couldn't empathise with the characters and didn't get involved with the plot. It was a slow book with many odd occurrences & co-incidences which were never fully explained.

2.0 out of 5 stars A turgid book, 11 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Detective's Daughter (Kindle Edition)
I really struggled with this book and only bought it because it had been sitting on the best seller list for so long - a mistake. It's full of dreary scenery, dreary characters with problems, padded out with too much information about cleaning products, etc. (seriously), and lots of pointless information. I never did work out what was important about the A-Z but, as I skipped large chunks because it was so tedious I probably missed a crucial clue, but I'm sure it wouldn't have made the book any more interesting.

I used to live near Hammersmith Bridge and there was much more to the area than mud and traffic, not that you'd know from this book. The obsession with the tide line is disproportionate to the story, as is so much of the detail.

I nearly always finish books so I did persevere but that's about it.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Long and Over-Complicated Book, 26 July 2013
C. E. Utley "Charles Utley" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Detective's Daughter (Kindle Edition)
This book doesn't really work. It seems to go on for ever (just under 500 pages). It is almost impossible to follow, unless you set aside 48 hours to read it without a break. The author is trying to be far too clever. We move from decade to decade and character to character (often without having the faintest idea about which character we are reading). You need extreme dedication to get through to the end.

I think Lesley Thompson will write a good book one day, but this is not it.

Sorry.

Charles

1.0 out of 5 stars Such a boring, boring book!!!!!, 25 Aug 2013
B. Harkin (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Detective's Daughter (Kindle Edition)
I found this book to be so boring that I abandoned it about half way through. The plot and characters were absolutely ridiculous and I had no empathy with them what so ever. Good fiction has to have characters and a plot which in the readers' minds are credibly - this was not good fiction. Stella goes to look at the scene of the murder which happened on a July day thirty odd years ago. Fair enough I hear you say but when did she elect to go and check it out? On a pitch black January night with snow falling and a torch on her key ring for light!!! Why? This is the type of nonsense which litters the book. The character Jack is another piece of nonsense, living for weeks on end undetected in peoples houses, becoming Stella's confidant and being the best cleaner she ever had as well as being totally insane!!!

The Detective's Daughter