5.0 out of 5 stars FIREBIRD ...a Damn Good Read...
FIREBIRD, has become my favourite Susanna Kearsley novel to date..

***There are NO spoilers in my review***

Published 19 months ago by Carole A. Freeman

2.0 out of 5 stars The first of Kearsley's books to disappoint me
Published 11 months ago by Rosie

5.0 out of 5 stars FIREBIRD ...a Damn Good Read..., 23 Jan 2013
This review is from: Firebird, The (Hardcover)
FIREBIRD, has become my favourite Susanna Kearsley novel to date..

***There are NO spoilers in my review***

When a carving called the Firebird, leads Nicola Marter, a young women with psychic abilities, on an exciting adventure across Europe from England, Scotland, Belgium to Russia she is aided by Rob McMorran, her friend from Scotland, who psychic abilities are even greater than Nicola's, suddenly, the Past meets the Present...

Firebird, is a beautifully written novel, where the story just flows from the pages and is captivating from the first page to the last. It is clear that Susanna Kearsley was passionate about her characters and her story when she wrote this novel. You can tell that the historical information in this novel, had been very well researched and it is quite interesting.
The novel has an engaging story plot and dialogue which transfers between contemporary and historical characters with ease. I also found this novel to be extremely visual. I felt my senses come alive while reading this wonderful story. I was travelling with the characters from England to Scotland to Belgium and on to Russia and what a wonderful journey it was! I found myself completely engrossed by the lives of the characters and the excellent plot. The journey involved an exciting adventure, that I did not want to see come to an end and the protagonists in this story, were so endearing, that I found myself emotionally attached to them.... Simply put, "It was a Damn Good Read!"

5.0 out of 5 stars One of her very best, 10 Mar 2013
Welsh Annie (Wetherby) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Firebird (Kindle Edition)
I love Susanna Kearsley's writing - there's usually a touch of the paranormal, a richly researched and detailed historical story, an equally strong modern thread, all done in her smooth and easy style. I think this one - The Firebird - is one of her very best and really shouldn't be missed by anyone who enjoys dual time narratives.

Nicola Marter has the hidden ability to touch an object and discern both its history and the details around the lives of its owners. When a woman brings a Russian wooden carving of a firebird, without any historical provenance and so without obvious value, into her place of work as a dealer in Russian antiquities she is able to see the reasons for the woman's desperate need for the item to provide a source of income. While Nicola has paranormal abilities, the powers of her former partner Rob McMorran are greater, and together they set about trying to establish the story behind the carving. Their quest takes them from Scotland to Belgium, then to St Petersburg and back to the Jacobite community surrounding the court of Empress Catherine in the early 1700s.

As with Susanna Kearsley's other books, the timeshifts are perfectly achieved and the historical detail is richly detailed and meticulously researched. I found the author's note on the historical background quite fascinating, and she mixes real and fictional characters with consummate skill. Modern and historical, there are two strong love stories - and the political intrigue of the 1700s is totally absorbing. I also liked the echoes of Sophia's Secret (this book really is a sequel) and The Shadowy Horses, but there's no need to have read either earlier book to thoroughly enjoy this one as I did.

2.0 out of 5 stars The first of Kearsley's books to disappoint me, 28 Aug 2013
Rosie (Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Firebird (Kindle Edition)
I have loved Susanna Kearsley's books since I first read "Mariana" years ago. However,I gave up on "The Firebird" about a third of the way through. The beginning seemed somewhat unbelievable - Nicola setting off from London to Scotland on a whim without even an overnight bag (what woman sets off on a journey like that without even a toothbrush, not to mention a change of undies?) and from then on it went downhill for me. The Psychometry thing was just a bit too contrived, I felt, and like some other reviewers I found the written Scots Dialect just plain irritating and distracting. I skipped through to the end to discover how it worked out, and that, too, seemed a bit of a let down. Sorry - just not for me, this one.

2.0 out of 5 stars SO BORING I HAVE GIVEN IT UP!, 30 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Firebird (Kindle Edition)
I have always loved this author - what a disappointment this book is. I have actually put it to one side, and will finish it sometime (perhaps). The detail is too long-winded, and I found myself skipping pages just to try and pick up links with Rob and Nicola. I usually like historical details, but this was too much, and very boring. Please Susanna let the next book be in your old style.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not pacey enough, 29 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Firebird (Kindle Edition)
Dragged myself over the pages did not grip me glad to come to the end. Too much detail needed more romance.

3.0 out of 5 stars Lacklustre mystery, 7 May 2013
This review is from: The Firebird (Kindle Edition)
After reading Mariana, I had high hopes for The Firebird. I enjoyed reading about the psychic abilities, but I just couldn't be drawn into the story in the past. It had atmosphere but the characters didn't entice me.

2.0 out of 5 stars Lost its Feathers, 6 May 2013
This review is from: The Firebird (Kindle Edition)
Sadly I usually love Susanna Kearsley, but this time I could not get into this story, it seemed to bitty and jumped from one subject to another. Perhaps I will try again later - but for now not so impressed

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing read, 20 April 2013
R. Lawler "Hilary" (Norfolk, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Firebird (Kindle Edition)
I am an avid reader of Miss Kearsley's work - have absolutely loved all the other books I have read of hers. So this one is a great disappointment. For some reason I find the two main characters bland and the story line fragmented. For this reason, 40% through the book, I have had decided not to stay the course. I should at this point in a story line care what happens to at least some of the characters and have an interest in how the tale will unravel. I don't normally give up on books, but sorry this one isn't worth my effort. I also agree with another person's review when they said that the written Scottish dialect was unneccessary and irritating. The book has some very good reviews admittedly, so it could just be me, but many of her other books have been absolutely brilliant and this just doesn't hit the mark. Sorry.

3.0 out of 5 stars An okay read, 27 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Firebird (Kindle Edition)
Didn't grip me but an okay read. Not a book I felt I was needing to pick up at all times.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not my cup of tea, 25 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Firebird (Kindle Edition)
Struggling with this. I did not realise there would be quite so much psycho babble, I am afraid it leaves me cold. Bored with the historical aspects too which is strange as these parts of a book usually interest me. However the book is very well written and obviously well researched. Not my cup of tea but probably just a matter of taste.

The Firebird