4.3 out of 5 stars1,404

on 2 May 2013
This is the first time I have ever been prompted to review a book. I usually try to choose my Kindle books carefully and I do take the star rating of books into account. I am amazed by the positive reviews this book has been given. It's hard to describe what is bad about this book but it disappoints in many ways. The characters aren't believable, the story doesn't hang together and it's really easy to put down! The story-line was very promising and I kept going in the hope that it would improve. It didn't. It's not awful but it's definitely not worth your time.
This was an interesting read, not quite what I expected but I enjoyed it mostly.
Kathryn lives a seemingly perfect life as wife of the Headmaster of an exclusive school, she lives at the school with her family. Anyone looking on would see a happy woman, looking after her husband Mark, son and daughter in a glorious setting. But the reality is shockingly different, her husband is a vicious and evil man. I found his actions quite shocking, and whilst I understand that many abused women put up with a certain degree of violence, I found it almost unbelievable that anyone would accept what Mark does to Kathryn. To me, she was ridiculously passive, she put up with what he did to her and a complete lack of respect or interest from her children without putting up any kind of fight, and for that reason I found her quite annoying and not really credible. That is, until the day she cracked, and did what she did.
In the more recent parts of the book, I was less interested, I found these a bit dull as nothing much happened.
I would possibly read more by the author as I did enjoy most of this book.
on 4 February 2013
I downloaded this book on recommendation from a friend on twitter.i usually find that the cheaper books are good reads but nothing special. HOWEVER this book is fantastic with a good believable story that kept me hooked from start to finish. Witt every penny and more!!
0Comment54 of 61 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 January 2014
The subject matter of this book is obviously uncomfortable but the recounting of the abuse was both realistic and portrayed the menacing, Jekyll & Hyde nature of Mark's character very well. However I just didn't really believe in Kathryn's character at all and was unable to suspend my disbelief. She tolerated physical and mental abuse every evening as well as being raped daily for over twenty years. She never told anyone of this and yet her dialogue with her children is full of witty reprimands and snippets of assertive parenting. It just didn't really ring true. I also found the way in which the book darted from present day to ten years ago to four years ago to eight years ago rather jarring and disturbed the fluidity of the book. Overall this is an OK read but I was let down on a number of points.
on 12 December 2013
OK , but nothing special. Predictable plot and ending. If I had left the copy on a train before I finished reading I would not buy another copy to continue reading!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 21 February 2015
It seems like Kathryn has got the perfect life. She's living in a beautiful home, her family is always nearby and she has two wonderful, talented children. Kathryn is friendly and hospitable and she looks happy, but unfortunately that's just an appearance. She's terrified and stressed, but she has to pretend she's a content and happy wife. Until one day she doesn't want to do that any longer. She's had enough and in a few hours time she changes her own destiny. This has consequences though, for her and her family.

Kathryn loves her children, they always come first. That's why she endures, every single day. I wanted to know what happened to her and couldn't stop reading. It takes a while before the truth is being revealed. The story switches between the past and the present. I wanted to know if Kathryn was going to be all right and I also was curious to find out what was so horrible about her past.

What Have I Done? is an impressive story about a brave woman who always puts others first. She's kind and friendly, but she's done something terrible. When I started to read the story I had no idea what to think. I was intrigued and I had so many questions. I loved the way Amanda Prowse is giving the reader information, bit by bit and just enough to keep going. This captivated me and I couldn't stop reading until I finished the entire story. I think she's done a great job creating such a special book and I highly recommend it
on 2 January 2014
I enjoyed the author's style and will look out for other books. However, I found this story unbelievable. I do understand the difficulty that women have in leaving abusive situations, but it was difficult to relate to the heroine's actions. She was too cold-blooded in her actions, and gave little thought to the consequences for her children. I think the author had problems with making the situation so bad that murder was an acceptable option, but at the same time ensuring all other characters in the book were totally unaware of the horrific physical abuse happening under their noses.
on 23 March 2013
I enjoyed this book but just couldnt comprehend that an intelligent woman would tolerate this level of abuse and be able to function, sit even so I dont think it was very believable.
I found it very disturbing indeed.
The end was very disappointing but maybe because of my desire for a happy ending for all. I found the children to be as monstrous as the father. Read it in a day.
on 4 April 2013
I thought from the description that this would be my sort of thing, but I really regretted buying it. Badly written, one dimensional characters, ridiculous dialogue, over sentimental soul searching from the central character. Nearly threw it across the room at one point. Stupid ending, annoying characters. I could go on...and on, and on!
11 comment15 of 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 January 2014
I did not find this believable. I was annoyed with the heroine most of the book because she was so pathetic.