1,252 Reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars A great read
I couldn't put this book down. Fantastically written. Hard hitting and heart warming all in one. Would definitely recommend it.
Published 20 months ago by JS

3.0 out of 5 stars uncomfortable at times
The subject of the book is not an easy topic and reading about the central character was hard-going at times. I felt that the story was well researched. It makes you think about all those seemingly perfect families you might aspire to be like. Be careful what you wish for....
Published 16 months ago by Write-on

4.0 out of 5 stars A great read, 17 Feb 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Distressing but thought-provoking, 10 Jun 2013
This review is from: What Have I Done? (No Greater Love) (Kindle Edition)
If you are ok to read about horrific domestic abuse then you will cope with this book. I found it quite distressing but was intrigued to know why the option the main character (Kate) took to change her awful situation was the one she ultimately took. After finishing the book, I'm still not convinced that Kate explored any other options, so that, for me, was disappointing. In some respects it was uplifting to read how someone could endure such abuse and manage to rebuild a life for themselves afterwards.

3.0 out of 5 stars uncomfortable at times, 11 Jun 2013
Write-on (west midlands) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliantly provocative & challenging!, 10 Feb 2013
Amanda Prowse has done it again! Another heart wrenching story. But yet her novels aren't merely stories. They are not purely for entertainment. Mrs Prowse has a profoundly developed style of writing into which she immediately hooks the reader into the psyche of her characters. Having suffered domestic violence for a few years many years ago this story made me numb. At last women have a voice through Amanda's wonderful works. She equips her characters with hearts and souls that we can all recognise. We are these people and they are us and that Mrs Amanda Prowse is a remarkable talent.
The transition of Kathryn Brooker to Kate Gavier is more than highlighting the journey of this woman. This book is an exceptional social study and psychological study of sacrifice and survival.
This book confronts domestic violence and human subjugation head on, no frills, no fuss, just the raw cruel and seedy reality of what women endure on a daily basis. I was absolutely gripped throughout. Not one single paragraph is tiresome. This novel doesn't attempt to shock, on the contrary Kate never seeks sympathy as women who suffer this don't. Mrs Prowse tells the story for many women and indeed men.
I want the world to read this book; for many reasons. One particular reason is that I feel this book can empower and heal. I thank you Mrs Prowse for writing and knowing some the emotions that even years later I couldn't make sense out of until reading this.
A haunting novel, a story of truth, a pillow to rest upon; these are but a few things of what this book is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping, 13 Feb 2013
This review is from: What Have I Done? (No Greater Love) (Kindle Edition)
I read this book in 2 days, it was so emotional and hard hitting, some of the descriptions of the abuse that the main character had to endure had me in tears, it was very believable. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys an intense story, and for anyone who has never given up hope.

5.0 out of 5 stars Strength and hope, 18 Feb 2013
This review is from: What Have I Done? (No Greater Love) (Kindle Edition)
My son's bought me a Kindle for Christmas, an encouragement to read again following the death of my husband a couple of years ago. I've not been able to focus on a novel since before that time, yet this book grabbed me from the start. I cared for the characters, and avidly read at every opportunity, wanting to know how they developed. The storyline is a sad one, but it is a story of strength and hope. Inspirational.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastico!, 12 Feb 2013
This review is from: What Have I Done? (No Greater Love) (Kindle Edition)
First off it's just a brilliant read. I've not wanted to put it down for one second, I've been stealing five minutes here or there just to get to the end to find out what lies ahead for Kate, and then when I had finished I was sad it was all over. I love the snippets of Kates life, going back and forth, I've found myself close to tears, smiling and on occasions wincing at some of the pages. Amanda has this amazing way of making you just love these characters like Poppy in Poppy Day and now Kate. These are the sort of characters you can draw strength from and hope to be like should you ever find yourself in such awful situations.

I'd never hesitate to buy a book written by Amanda, and can't wait for her new book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Whatever you do - Don't!, 25 Aug 2013
This review is from: What Have I Done? (No Greater Love) (Kindle Edition)
One of the worst books I have ever read. Cardboard characters and a predictable and superficial plot. So banal and poorly
written it could be a parody of a "chick-lit" novel; so bad in places it was laughable.

1.0 out of 5 stars Let down!, 15 Jun 2013
This review is from: What Have I Done? (No Greater Love) (Kindle Edition)
Although I can understand how hard it can be to write about such a difficult subject, I found the book a real let down. I thought I would give it a try after seeing a few poor reviews, but really wish I hadn't. All the way through the book I was wondering to myself "when will this get interesting? when will the drama happen?" I felt this book dragged out, the ending was total rubbish and (without spoiling the book) part of it, including the character she meets, ends up having little/if no relevance at all.

I really would not recommend this book at all, it is an utter bore. If you're looking for a book which can engross the reading in domestic abuse storylines, I highly suggest reading The Ice Cream Girls by Dorothy Koomson. That is an amazing book, which I could not put down and have now started watching the three part TV series online.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, 11 Jun 2013
This review is from: What Have I Done? (No Greater Love) (Kindle Edition)
i greatly enjoyed this book. At times the chapters on her abusive marriage were difficult to read, but key to the story. I dont care for her vile and cruel children. I found the novel thought provoking and very hard to put down.

What Have I Done? (No Greater Love)