Published on 30 Aug. 2007 by Dylan Murphy

3.0 out of 5 stars Very Disappointing
Published on 15 Dec. 2012 by Dennis O'Connor

5.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive and methodical - the only book on archery you'll need, 30 Aug. 2007
Prospective buyers needn't be skeptical because Simon Needham is isn't one of archery's "greats." His methodical and detailed approach to the discipline of recurve archery makes this one of the best books on the subject ever written. Any archer starting out or striving to improve their scores need only buy this book. His explanations of technical points are crystal clear, in contrast to many books on the subject. I wish this book had existed when I took up the sport!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Recurve Target book i've read., 10 Dec. 2007
I bought this book last week- my shooting has already improved. Needham manages to make the complex stuf enjoyable and yet he includes ALL the detial. Very clear description. An excelent book for the improving recurve target archer,but does skip some of the basics, a breath of fresh air for those who can already shoot! He concentrates on all the aspects covered poorly in some archery texts. He speaks his mind & doesn't just sit on the fence like so many authers when it comes to equipment, but offers the reader both sides of the coin also. excelent!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 10 Jun. 2009
This is the best book I have read covering the technical side of the sport. It provides a clear, step by step run through of an effective system for getting to the point where you can focus on form, rather than debating technicalities. I think this is an achievement.

I found it comprehensive, detailed, and easy to follow, even in complex areas such as string making, tiller tuning and arrow selection. Form is also covered well in the book, but the technical and mental aspects are covered exceptionally well, in my opinion.

I am not a beginner, but am returning to the sport after a long absence, and this book, when used in combination with the Kisik Lee book "Total Archer", and Simon's video "Archery In Action" have proved to be a superb acceleration and aid to my regained enjoyment of the sport. The explanations would in my opinion be suitable for a beginner, so long as it is read with patience, which is suggested within the text.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars The only book you need for target archery, 11 Oct. 2009
Mr. C. J. Gordon (London) - See all my reviews
A friend of mine has always stipulated that on any given subject there is always one definitive book on that subject and once you have that book you really don't need any others.

(Notice I said NEED not necessarily wouldn't enjoy or gain from other books)

In my opinion, this book is one of those.

I have only just started archery and whilst in a Waterstone's I had a look through the 2 books on archery that they had in store, but neither of them had anything of long term worth.

I came upon references to Simon Needham's book through some archery forums, and so I bought it.

The writing is clear and informative, the drawings and photo's (black and white only) are clear and concise. The equipment shown and discussed is current gear in use on the competitive shooting lines.

To be clear on this, If you have not done an archery course and are coming to this book with no prior knowledge then this is not the book for you.

If you have even a small measure of experience or training then this is a book that should last you the lifetime of the sport.

There is a lot of info that as a beginner is going to be of no present use, but as a reference book to the sport (recurve anyway) that you can dip into anytime to find those nuggets of wisdom or help to overcome any problems, I think you would be hard pressed to find a better book.

I am VERY happy that I bought this.

5.0 out of 5 stars 'The gospel according to Simon Needham', 2 Mar. 2009
P. Wyeth "Phil Dubya" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
The book is affectionately know as 'The gospel according to Simon Needham' between me and my archery buddies! If you want to own only one really useful archery book this is it. Simon's straight forward approach makes the complex art of getting an archery bow to its optium performance achievable by club archers. I have used this book for 2 years and have never been left wanting when I have turned to it for help. The book works on many levels, the more you understand the more it delivers. This is my secret weapon in my bow case, not a new £400 riser or £350 pair of limbs, just good advice. Of course that does mean the mistakes are mine not my bows... There is also an accompanying DVD 'Archery In Action' which really works well with the book and recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beginner's thoughts, 13 May 2011
My first book on my new sport of archery and whilst I have read nothing else to compare I find this book to be more than adequate for my needs. Plenty of "beginner" chapters to ease me in with many more in abeyance simply because I do not yet have a bow of my own. Even these more technical chapters I have read and they seem to be readily understandable (and I am no mechanical/engineer type). I am now champing at the bit to get my own bow but holding off as I work through the club bows to build up my strength and technique.

5.0 out of 5 stars Technical but easy to progress with, 26 May 2009
D. Keane (Herts, UK) - See all my reviews
Great book for tuning and lots of other info.

I take bits here and there, but the initial tuning section should be progressed in order of tuning your own bow.

Talks you through to give a reassuring understanding as manuals can be very difficult to interpret.

Can't see me needing any other book for Archery at a Club team level.

A must if you don't have a book on Archery.. well done Simon.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very Disappointing, 15 Dec. 2012
I am new to the sport of archery. I brought this book hoping to find detailed instruction to improve my basic skill level. I was really disappointed with the content. It was all there, but for the most part the items were just 'skimmed over'. Often the 'reason why' you do or not do something was not mentioned. From glancing at the pages of the section on setting-up the recurve bow was covered in greater detail. I purchased another archery book 'Steps To Success' which gave much more detailed instruction on all aspects of this sport, along with reasons why things did not go as you thought they would. I would recommend that book instead for the novice archer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for recurve archery, 15 Jan. 2013
There is little point in rehearsing the descriptions noted in other reviews of this book. Suffice it to say that, for a relatively new archer, there is no other single volume which provides so much practical information in so straightforward a fashion. There is much here, too, for experienced recurve archers.

The single most useful section simply has to be on set-up, which will (I dare say) be as illuminating for experienced shooters as for novices. We're taken through the very basics through to fine-tuning through a set of valuable explanations and directions. There is an accompanying DVD ("Archery in Action") which is nice to have and helpful when a visual instead of, or as well as, a printed explanation is required; but the book stands on its own -- and does so very well indeed.

Very highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Archery, 1 Dec. 2010
I started archey three years ago, after buying this book I found that I approached the sport differently, my scores went up and I began to think more about the basics.
This books is geared towards novices who want to improve and those who have been shooting for years to refer to for advice and practical information, although the opening chapter is written with beginners in mind.
My copy of this book has nearly fallen apart it has been used so much!
Nearly all of the senior members at my club have a personal copy of this book.
A must for the improving archer.

Archery: The Art of Repetition