4.0 out of 5 stars An interesting re-consideration of Nicholas and Alexandra
This is a well-written review of the reign of Russia's last Tsar Nicholas and his wife Alexandra. Be aware of two things - if you want facts you're better off looking in an encyclopaedia than a history book (although there are plenty of facts in the book) and secondly this book was written in the late 60s so feels a little dated. Even for those of us who remember and...
Published 19 months ago by Katelon

2.0 out of 5 stars More of a romantic novel
It's okay read but if you want a thoroughly researched book into the revolution and the characters in it I would look elsewhere. There is 75% of conjecture and opinion and sometimes the author slips into a mills and boon romantic type novel with lots of descriptive mush that cannot be verified/accounted for. The book is not particularly balanced and is at odds with other...
Published 9 months ago by phil

‹ Previous | 113 14 1523 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars a fantastic read, 6 May 2013
This review is from: Nicholas and Alexandra: The Tragic, Compelling Story of the Last Tsar and his Family (Kindle Edition)
Oh my god I had always knowen about the Romanov story or so I thought. This book is such a window into Victorian Russia. Its a tough read but u can't help being transported back into the time, I finished it in 6 days, I like loved it

5.0 out of 5 stars Readable history, 5 May 2013
As it says ,it is a compelling story of two larger than life characters who have a place in our recent history. Both my parents were teenagers during the early 1900s and uncle had marital connections with the Tzar's White Russian army,so I grew up with tales of the revolution and murders. My mother recalled how the murders had shocked everyone in U K at the time. Alexandra was apparently mis judged by many who assumed she hated Russia and was aloof. The fact that the son was haemophelic was not known by many outside the family hence her faith in Rasputin was misjudged by outsiders. Being told stories about Rasputin by my mother and granny used to scare me .Just reading this well written and presented book is fascinating because of the insight into the lives these elite characters lived. The opulence is amazing as a history of the politics of that period it is well worth reading whatever your age. Best to jot down the names of the political characters as you read as Russian names are so hard to remember. All in all I am sorry to finish the book and will read again maybe . I do not hesitate to recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars One to Read, 3 May 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed this account of the last Czar and the events which led to his downfall.
A must read for fans of 'lightweight' historical acounts

5.0 out of 5 stars only suitable for people willing to put the time in, 3 May 2013
WARNING: do not read this book if you want a light history book this is something you have to put serious time and effort into reading but it is also well worth. having been a novice when it comes to russian history my confidence is really growing. i feel russian history isnt quite so impossible anymore

4.0 out of 5 stars A gripping story, 3 May 2013
Very well written a gripping story well told. The pace of the narrative never slackens keeping the readers attention and interest

5.0 out of 5 stars Story of the Romanovs and the rise of communist Russia, 30 April 2013
Z. M. Snarey (UK) - See all my reviews
I could hardly put this book down it is so well written and interesting. Initially I read it on Kindle but I also bought the printed version so that I could see some pictures. The people come alive they are so well described in such good detail. It is a very learned book the story is drawn from several letters and other sources. I recommend this book to you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Plenty of History and well written, 30 April 2013
I love novels where history is involved and this lived up to my expectation. Although there was plenty of detail and facts and figures it was put over very well and very enjoyable. There were many facts that I did not know and am glad to have read the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 29 April 2013
THis is a full and detailed history of the Romanovs and is filling a lot of the gaps in my understanding of the Russian history. I have even learned about Lenin. A good read and a personal view of Russian history at that time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Tsar, 29 April 2013
I am still reading this book on kindle so far I have found it very interesting very informative and I am looking forward to finishing it but not yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great epic, 28 April 2013
I have read this book 2 or 3 times over the past few years and it never fails to capture the mood and tragedy of the last years of the Romanov dynasty. I look forward to reading other related works by Mr Massie.

‹ Previous | 113 14 1523 | Next ›