5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating even for unaspiring nonprofessionals, 20 Dec 2004
By A Customer
Becoming an Orchestral Musician transported me from the audience, my normal vantage point, to behind the scenes of an orchestra - the agony of auditions, how to cope with nerves, ensemble v. solo playing, the mechanics of an orchestra. Listening will never be the same again. Watching a conductor will never be the same. I read this book from cover to cover in one day, never losing interest - and I'm not a musician! Strongly recommended for any serious music fan, and an absolute must for any music student (and his or her parents!). There's one chapter on intonation that I think only a musician would understand, but other than that it's required reading for any serious fan of orchestral music. A great mix of quotes, anecdotes, hard information, all of it useful, all of it well organized and well written, a real pleasure!

5.0 out of 5 stars Calling it As It Is, 9 Mar 2005
Chris Downing "Chris Downing" (Chippenham, Wilts England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I love these books that relate careers as they really are rather than how a journaist or a professional writer sees them from the outside. This book covers all aspects of being a working musician and can be related to any intruments easily.
It's a tough business and if you're thinking of doing it perhaps you shouldn't bother. This book will show you that thinking about it demostrates doubt and plan B's - you'll need more commitment and nutty obsession to survive as a musician. If you absolutely must play - then reading this book will help you avoid the pitfalls, enjoy the successes and understand what you'll need to be doing every day to earn a crust.

5.0 out of 5 stars well packed,, 21 Oct 2013
Really inspired me a lot. Detail-oriented as well as good for every single musician even you are flutist or violist.
Have broadened my views.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books I've ever read (I read a lot, too), 6 Feb 2013
This is one of the most wonderful books I have ever read. It does not use more words than it needs to, yet it makes and supports points extremely strongly and convincingly. The music business is very difficult as I've come to realize in my music college studies, but I feel just a tad more confident about how to approach it with this book. It deserves to be more widely printed, although I'm not complaining, as I like to think all the "secrets" are just for me! :) It is an absolutely essential read for anyone who is hoping to work up to a major orchestral career, and the numerous interviews are very useful as well, because all of the people interviewed have very different backgrounds.