5.0 out of 5 stars If you love good writing, read this book
Published on 5 Mar. 2013 by Mags Carter

3.0 out of 5 stars An OK summer read
I read this over the summer and didn't like it as much as I thought I would. I didn't find the characters all that convincing, and I felt less and less inclined to follow the main character through his (bad) choices, as the narrative progressed. Wasn't sure in the end what the writer intended; who was I meant to connect with, if anyone?
Published 17 months ago by L Williamson

5.0 out of 5 stars If you love good writing, read this book, 5 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Schroder (Hardcover)
From the moment I picked up this book I knew I was delving into something special. Amity Gaige has a gift with words and with characterisation. How do you make someone who is so irresponsible sympathetic? But that is exactly what Eric Kennedy aka Erik Schroder is. A complex character who loves his daughter so much he risks everything to go on a 'road trip' with her. When we meet him, he is in custody writing an explanation to his former wife in an attempt to put a rational explanation to his reckless action. The document, which he hopes will ease his punishment, becomes an account of his missing days with his daughter and (counter intuitively) they are days that every child should have. We witness the love and quirkiness of their relationship where adult is childlike and the child is more adult. I wanted to slap him every time he did something selfish and crazy and cheer him on every time he did something wonderful. Eric is the reason why his daughter is such a confident original. Old before her time but forgiving in the way only a child can be. Amity Gaige has brought us an amazing tale of love gone wrong. I so want Eric to triumph although I'll never know. But no matter what happens to him, the triumph is Amity's.

5.0 out of 5 stars This one-sided story makes for a completely compelling read., 2 April 2013
Sue Kichenside - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Schroder (Hardcover)
The fashion these days for multi-stranded stories and complex narratives makes this intentionally one-sided and comparatively straightforward novel come across as something quite extraordinary. As indeed it is. Likewise, the trend for novels with big dark secrets buried in the past works slightly differently here; Schroder reveals from the outset what he has been hiding for years.

"It turns out I'm not very good at being silent. There are castles of things I want to tell you." Amity Gaige had me at "castles" and she never loosened her grip once.

Schroder is writing an account of the events that have led him into custody awaiting trial. The account is an explanation to his estranged wife of why he absconded for seven days with their 6-year old daughter, the fiercely intelligent Meadow. This account might also be used in mitigation so just how reliable a narrator this makes him is clearly open to question. In fact, everything about Schroder is open to question - most especially, his identity.

The author's occasional use of footnotes is deft, the narrative structure of the book is perfect and Ms Gaige has a masterful turn-of-phrase: "I was thirty-four - not an old man, but old enough to spy the burnt edges on the scroll of my life." Her description of rain which "grows hard and bitter, as if it is not rain but liquid redistribution of collective conflict". And in a hospital where "the squeegee of officious shoes awakened me". Can't you just hear them?

By the masterstroke of leaving the wife's side of the story untold, Amity Gaige has delivered a wholly brilliant read.

3.0 out of 5 stars An OK summer read, 1 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Schroder (Kindle Edition)

1.0 out of 5 stars The story of a father who nearly causes the death of his daughter., 28 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Schroder (Paperback)
In order to like this book, you probably have to have some sympathy with Schroder, the man who abducts his child, and I had none. I think the author intends him to be in some way appealing, but she did not succeed in making me feel anything for him except annoyance. Amity Gaige did not convince me of his affection for the child whose life he endangered and did not paint a believable portrait of a man with mental health issues. I'm unclear about her intentions; the book does highlight the vulnerability of children at the hands of adults, but I didn't find that her use of Schroder's viewpoint opened up any new understandings.

5.0 out of 5 stars A jewel of a novel, 12 Mar. 2013
I. McMillan (Guildford, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Schroder (Kindle Edition)
Reading Mags' review above, I can add little to that concise and beautifully put paragraph. This book is a jewel - special in every sentence and idea.
I started to read it when a bit tired and when it quickly dawned on me how capable Gaige's writing is, I started again from the beginning but only reading it when fresh and able to fully appreciate it's subtlety.

2.0 out of 5 stars Fades out., 8 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Schroder (Paperback)
It looked promising. The review quotes sounded good. However, ultimately it was not very believable for me and I was skipping quite a lot towards the end, especially the phrase written consecutively over several pages. It began well but sort of faded out and I felt relieved the little girl was taken into safety.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not great., 12 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Schroder (Kindle Edition)
I chose this book because it made a change to read about a dad's relationship with his daughter and to some extent it didn't disappoint in this respect. The book is written in the first person by Eric Schroder/Kennedy and the characterisation of Eric is such that you forget that the book is written by a female author. The book raises a lot of interesting ideas about lies; whether solicitors ever actually help in a custody battle; the beauty of silences; what constitutes kidnapping (Eric suggests he didn't kidnap his daughter he just took her on an "adventure". Eric doesn't come across as a great parent (or even a good one) and perhaps that is why I struggled with him. Give it a go and see what you think - its an easy read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tear jerker, 31 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Schroder (Kindle Edition)
The heartbreaking story of a marriage gone wrong and a terrible warning for the absent parent not to take matters into their own hands. The protagonist has made some serious mistakes and part of me wanted to shake him for his lack of foresight but nevertheless he is an engaging character and the love that exists between him and his daughter shines out.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyed this short novel about a father taking his own ..., 10 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Schroder (Paperback)
Really enjoyed this short novel about a father taking his own daughter due to a custody battle. I liked the flitting to and fro from his own past. Easy to read, and the kind of book you want to indulge in....

5.0 out of 5 stars Easily the most powerful book of2013, 12 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Schroder (Hardcover)
Loved this book to a unhealthy degree and have lent it to everyone I know. It's unsettling, powerful, emotionally charged and elegantly written. A must read.

Schroder