4.0 out of 5 stars Versatile lamp
Customer Video Review     Length:: 1:36 Mins
Published 4 months ago by Reviewify.co.uk

3.0 out of 5 stars No tilt adjustment
Shame the top light bar has no tilt function, the lights can glare a bit in your eyes unless you are sitting at the right height
Published 1 month ago by Bob Hicks

4.0 out of 5 stars Versatile lamp, 23 Mar 2014
Reviewify.co.uk "Mark" (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
This review is from: TaoTronics® Elune TT-DL01 (Black) Versatile Natural Light LED Desk Lamp (4 Lighting Modes & 5-level dimmer for each mode, Touch Sensitive Control Panel, 1-Hour Auto Timer, 5V/1A USB Charging Port)
Length:: 1:36 Mins

The TaoTronics TT-DL01 is an LED desk lamp that has a number of options to suit your mood. Kindly supplied by the manufacturers for testing I was initially surprised by how tall it is, but this is a good thing as it allows you to position the lamp over any documents/books you're working on without it getting in the way. You need to assemble the lamp, which is really easy to do as it's just a matter of attaching the main arm to the base, plug it in and it's ready to go.

On the side of the lamp is a USB port which allows you to plug your phone in for charging (or other USB device like an MP3 player).

The lamp is made of plastic and I expect the design will split onion. I like it, others that I've shown it to were not so keen. One thing we did agree on is that it doesn't look like a premium lamp that lives up to the £69.99 (at the time of review) asking price.

A word of warning about switching it on for the first time: whatever you do, don't look at the LEDs directly when you turn it on, this thing is BRIGHT!

The main arm folds out allow you to position the lamp as required. At the bottom of the lamp are some touch controls and they allow you to change the light type between the following modes:

Reading Mode
Study Mode
Relax Mode
Sleep Mode

This might sound like a gimmick, but the light quality really does change depending on the mode chosen. In addition to changing the light type each mode can have the brightness adjusted, making this a very versatile lamp. Next to the on/off button is a sleep button, which, when pressed, puts the lamp into a timed shutoff mode which automatically turns off the light after 60 minutes, perfect if you fall asleep reading in bed.

This is the first plug in LED lamp I've used and it really is a good desk lamp, with the different modes changing the type of light produced for whatever mood you happen to be in. You are paying a premium for a lamp which looks very plastic, being LED you could expect the energy saving aspect should mean this pays for itself in time. However, I do love the touch controls, they're like something out of a sci-fi show, and the sleep timer function is a nice touch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great option for a student bedroom, 27 Aug 2013
Peter (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
TaoTronics has released a variety of lamps for the UK market. I've tried two, the TaoTronics® Elune TT-DL01 (Black) Versatile Natural Light LED Desk Lamp) and the TaoTronics® TT-DL04 Cool White Ultra-thin Eye-Protection Gooseneck LED Work Desk Lamp / Detachable Emergency Outdoor Light (with a bundled carabiner). The basic functionality is similar, but they offer different features.

**** At time of writing the reviews for the two different lamps are appearing on both product pages, so please be careful which of the two products you're looking at! ****

They are both essentially desk lamps or bedside lamps (or both if you're in student accommodation). They both have a posable LED light bar with variable brightness settings. They are both very efficient, low-power devices. They are both controlled by touch-sensitive buttons, and they both have a USB charging point so you can charge your phone without needing to use up another power socket (this is a particularly nice touch).

So how are they different?

The Elune has adjustable colour temperature. There are two sets of LEDs in the head, white and warm yellow. By selecting different presets you get a stark white (that's "Study" mode), a warm yellow (that's "Relax") or somewhere in the middle ("Reading"). There's also a "Sleep" setting that turns the white LEDs off altogether, leaving a gentle yellow nightlight effect. You can adjust the brightness up and down using +/- buttons. There's also a 60 minute timer, so if you like going to sleep with the light on but don't want the light burning all night, you're well catered for. The Elune is the bigger of the two lamps, with a largish (about 18cm square) base and a 45-ish cm high column. The column can be rotated or bent forward to about 40 degrees. The lamp head hinge at the top of the column goes back about 45 degrees, and folds forward so it closes on to the column, thus tidying the lamp away when you're not using it, so despite its size it takes up very little space. The power cord, which consists of a transformer-cum-mains-plug and a 12V cable, is quite short (about 4 feet?). The one disadvantage with this lamp is the lamp head doesn't tilt sideways, so you need to rotate the column at the base to get the light just where you want it.

The TT-DL04 Cool White Ultra-thin Eye-Protection Gooseneck LED Work Desk Lamp, which is the one with the free carabiner, is shorter, with about 20cm of fixed column and then 20cm or gooseneck which is completely poseable, and the lamp head can also be twisted sideways so you have very good control over the illuminated area. The base is narrower, only 10cm wide by 16cm deep (and the power cable needs to fit in the back, so you need another 15mm for that). The USB charging point is also in the back, which is a little fiddly. As the name implies, the "cool white" TT-DL04 only offers a single colour temperature, and the whiteness takes a little getting used to if you have only used incandescent bulbs before. There's jut a single control button on the lamp head, which lets you turn the light on and off (long press) or change the brightness (short press). The power cable (which is about a foot longer than the Elune's) is thin "figure of eight" wire, with a transformer built into the power plug. The review sample I was sent came with a US plug and a UK socket adapter (check before you buy). A really useful feature of this lamp is you can take your light with you. The lamp head has a rechargeable battery in it and it detaches from the gooseneck. This is useful: the batteries in most of the torches I have in the house are dead, but because you're using this device as a lamp it means you are de facto keeping it charged for when you need it. So if I need to go into the back garden to make sure the chickens are in the coop, I can take this lamp with me. And if there's a power-cut, the lamp keeps working, so you're not plunged straight into darkness. I'm not so sure about the carabiner. There's a loop at the end of the lamp head you can attach the carabiner to, but I have my doubts about how easily this might break. I don't think I'm going to take the risk.

So, which would I choose? The larger Elune) is more stylish in a shiny angular obelisk sort of way, and it has the choice of different shades of white light. The lack of a sideways tilt to the lam head is its only major drawback, and it does make a very good reading lamp if you draw it down low. The smaller lamp takes up less space and has more versatile head-positioning, and the very useful ability to stay lit through power cuts and work as an emergency torch. On balance I think I prefer the smaller one, but either would be great for a study bedroom.

Please note:
- I have compared two different TaoTronics lamps. I hope I've made it clear which features belong to each lamp so you can choose the right one. As I mention at the top, the reviews for the two different lamps are appearing on each others' product pages, which is a little confusing. I've put several links in the review between the two different product pages so you can check them both out.
- I was sent these two lamps by the distributor to let me review them. I hope my reviews are "speak as I find", and I have done my best to highlight any problems with both products as well as providing a comparison.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb lamp with multiple light modes and levels, 19 July 2014
KM (Liverpool) - See all my reviews
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
This is a versitle desk lamp with many light power combinations and it can basically be tilted and twisted into any position.

Before I go on and on :)

Seriously, Only a few months ago I paid a good few quid more than this is going for, for a similar but lesser versatile lamp than this one.

It was for my dad who is partially blind.

If you suffer from poor vision (I do) and struggle to read due to the lack of available 'quality' bright white light. . .I would definitely recommend this lamp on that basis alone! My dad tried it out and was impressed.

Anyway. . .Upon delivery I was impressed with the packaging. Good enough to repackage up and use as a carry case to take anywhere.

In the box you get the instructions, the metal high gloss finished base plate, a poseable neck stand/light head and the power cable with a 3 pin plug.

Dead easy to put together. Just screw the poseable stand into the base plate and you're done! Plug your charger in and it's now working. The touch sensitive control buttons are on the body and the power on/off button will glow red to show it's ready for use..

To activate the light you just have to touch the power button.

There are five levels of light from very bright to dim and there are four modes of light which are -

- Reading
- Study
- Relax
- Sleep

All these light modes can be dimmed/brightened by the five levels.

There is also a 60 min timer which when pressed turns the light off after 60 mins. This is incase you fall asleep whilst reading in bed. I know I do after 10 mins! Zzzzzz!

The neck/body can be tilted and twisted into any angle and pointed in any direction. The light head itself can also rotate 180° on it's base so this light can basically point anywhere you want it to.

The light has 27 good quality LED bulbs some bright white and some warm white that can replicate natural light which is 'less' of a strain on the eyes when reading or doing close-up work such as soldering or jewellery repair (which I do) or intricate model making, than more artificial light such as that from a fluorescent tube/common bulb. The head has a thin groove running its length to aid heat dissipation and therefore keep it cool.

There's also a 1Amp output USB charging point in the back of the base! You can charge your gadgets from this whilst in use too. Nice touch.

This is a great size and fully extended it is around 27 inches tall. The base is 7 inches square so something to think about where you will situate it before purchasing.

This is a great looking modern design, decent build quality, very versatile desk lamp.

This lamp was kindly sent to me for review by the manufacturers.

Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars More relaxed, 10 Oct 2013
Woodgnome (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
I use my computer late at night, with a room light on to provide some ambient light (to illuminate the keyboard and surrounding area). The room light is too bright so I now turn it off and use my TaoTronics lamp. I position it near my computer. It does not cause problems with reflections from the screen. It looks down on the keyboard and surrounding area. Now I can see what I am doing without straining my eyes, but with an adjustable light level, which in the late evening I can reduce to the minimum to prevent my circadian rhythm being disturbed, as it otherwise would be, by bright light late at night. As a result I feel more relaxed and I may be sleeping better. The easy adjustability at a moment's touch is brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent desk lamp, 13 Sep 2013
Sid Nuncius (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)
The distributors sent me this lamp to test and review, and I am very impressed. I want three things from a desk lamp: a good light (obviously), ease and convenience of use, and robust and preferably stylish design. This gives all three (although you'll have to make your own mind up about whether you like the design.)

The lamp is very simple to assemble. It is solidly made and seems very durable. It is stable, its position can be easily adjusted and it stays where it is put. The switch and controls are touch-sensitive rather than clickable switches and work well. (I occasionally find I have to touch two or three times to get it to go on or off, but not often enough to be a nuisance.) It has two different colours of LED: bright blue-white and soft yellow and four "modes" which mix these to give different shades and intensities of light: Reading, Study, Relax and Sleep. You can then adjust the brightness within each mode, so it's very flexible to individual requirements. I find the Reading setting gives one of the best and most comfortable lights for reading that I have experienced, and Study is really bright white light which is great for fiddly work and so on. The other two modes are more for soft, ambient lighting. I don't use it for that, but they seem fine for the purpose.

The lamp also has a USB charging socket on its base, which I think is an inspired idea and which I find extremely handy just to have easily available all the time.

All in all, I think this is an excellent desk lamp. Certainly for functionality and a really good light it's ideal for me. I like the design but my wife doesn't (oh, the joys of matrimony!) so it's obviously not to everyone's taste, but if you do like it I can recommend this without reservation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of settings - great lamp, 24 July 2014
SM (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
The TaoTronics Elune Natural Light LED Desk Lamp is a really excellent lamp, which can be used for many different purposes thanks to its versatility and thoughtful design.

I have been using and testing this lamp in my bedroom where I also have a desk set up for work.

The lamp has four different settings which are:

* Reading
* Study
* Relax
* Sleep

- The reading setting gives you a light which is white and fairly crisp and bright. It is a good light for reading as it makes the pages lovely and clear - easy to see.
- The study light is also white but it is brighter. My room is naturally quite dark and the lamp has performed brilliantly for me when I am sitting at my desk. It is also sufficient to work with in the dark on this setting without having to turn the main bedroom light on.
- The relax setting is more of a yellow coloured light. It is your typical slightly lowered light which you might use in the evenings when sitting back with a glass of wine and chilling out.
- The sleep setting is also a yellow colour but not as bright.

Each of the above settings can also be altered by using the + and the - buttons to increase or decrease the brightness of the light being given.

There is a timer that can be set which will ensure that the lamp is turned off after an hour. This is certainly useful at bedtime! This doesn't automatically operate, so you have the choice of whether to use it or not.

A really nice addition to this lamp is the USB socket, enabling you to charge a phone or gadget whilst the lamp is in use.

The lamp is fairly large. And you can choose how much you 'open' the lamp depending on how far you want to spread the light around the room. I really like this function, especially at bedtime whereby you can put the lamp into sleep mode and close it almost right down thus creating almost a night light effect - great as I often go to bed before my partner and it prevents them blundering around in the dark when they finally make it to bed!

I was sent this lamp to test and to honestly review.

I can honestly say that I don't think it's possible to find anything better than this lamp in this price range.

Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly adjustable LED desk or reading light that has one minor flaw, 15 July 2014
S. Power (Austin, Texas, United States) - See all my reviews
Length:: 1:43 Mins

If this lamp cost a third of what it does, I would have had no question about giving it 5 stars. At its current $70 price, I really had a tough time deciding between 3, 4, or 5 stars. First I settled at 4, and then changed it to 5 when I saw how expensive LED lights like this cost elsewhere. Its only flaw is the wobbly hinges and cheap feeling construction. It wouldn't be fair to give it 3 stars under the assumption that it is poorly made and is going to break. Instead, I'll give it 5, and will update this review if it stops performing well.

This LED desk or reading light is highly adjustable, with adjustments both for brightness and the warmth of the light. The only thing that I don't like about the light is the flimsy hinges and cheap feel of the upper part of the light. The seemingly cheap construction makes me wonder how long the electronics inside the light and the buttons will last. For the price, I wish it felt more solid and the hinges didn't wobble so much, but with so many expensive LED bulbs and the circuitry to power all the options, that would probably be impossible at this price.

Features such as a 60 minute sleep timer, USB charging port, and adjustable warmth and brightness make this a really nice LED desk light, I just worry about the quality because of the wobbly hinges, flimsiness, and because of the durability and quality complaints expressed in some of the negative reviews. Like I said above, I'll leave it at 5 stars, but will edit this review if it gives me any reliability or durability issues.

I received this light for free, in exchange for doing this review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superior lamp, sleek attractive design, with fantastic lighting variations, plus USB charger!, 29 Jun 2014
Sarah Sheikh (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
The Elune lamp is of a superior design and function, rarely is it possible to have both! Many lamp bases are too lightweight, causing the lamp to topple over, but not the Elune. The base is sufficiently heavy to enable the lamp to stay put. The materials that the lamp is manufactured from are of great quality and finish. I am extremely particular regarding my choices for lighting. I changed my lighting to assist my eyesight to remain optimum, switching all of the ordinary light bulbs in my house firstly to halogen and secondly to day light bulbs. I noticed a dramatic improvement and ease from eye strain and increased enjoyment for my lifelong enjoyment of studying books. However, there were times when I wished there were variations to the daylight bulb - which is very bright. Thankfully I found the Elune Lamp to meet my needs. There is a reading mode, study mode, relax mode and sleep mode. I use the sleep mode daily before sleep, to help me gently unwind from the day, and it works perfectly, resulting in a deeper sleep. The reading mode is used regularly, not only for reading, but also for the internet. I recommend experimenting to see what you find the most suitable light, but you are sure to find one of the modes to be perfect.
The Elune truly surpasses purchasing lamps purely for their decorative appeal, or a plain desk lamp - which would be so outdated in comparison to this sleek design by TaoTronics.
The head of the lamp stretches over wherever you wish the light to be focused, and works in this manner rather than a bendy multi-angled older type of desk lamp, but it does twist horizontally and vertically. I find this works much better, and that it is a case of understanding that the design overlights through the large head, rather than at angles. Try it, and you will find it works much better, and is easier on the eyes to read the pages.
Another attractive feature is the USB charger. Rather than having to plug your phone in to the wall or your laptop, where it may get in the way of your work, a lamp is usually positioned slightly away from your direct working zone, thus is the perfect product to plug in your smart phone or perhaps something else that needs charging.
The company are great, sending the item out very quickly and well packaged. The lamp even comes with a cleaning cloth to keep it beautifully clean and shining.
It is great to finally find a lamp that I truly enjoy using, and have no qualms to use for extended periods of time after sunset. I no longer have to worry about eye strain, so can work or play with ease. The piano black colour way is a handsome colour that men will love, but women may choose also. It looks sleeker and shinier as it is reflective. I also have the white colour way, which is great for women and very beautiful.
The lamp folds away when not in use, ensuring it will not be damaged.
I have yet to try out the timing function, but I can imagine it is great for those who wish to read or relax for one hour prior to sleeping, without the need to turn off the lamp.
The highlight of the Elune (no pun intended) is the gentle, but clear light of the sleep mode and relax mode. It would be worth purchasing for these modes alone (coupled with the beautiful sleek attractive design).
Equally great in the office or bedroom (if you enjoy modern design as much as I do). I love technology, so the multiple functions appeals to me.

5.0 out of 5 stars bright LED, adjustable temperature and fine-tunable brightness, 11 July 2014
C. Angione - See all my reviews
This lamp may look quite expensive, but after having tried it I can safely say that it is outstanding value for money.
I think the best idea is the adjustable colour temperature, and in particular the very bright mode is a white light which is great for reading/studying. The relax and sleep mode are different temperatures of yellow.
When working on a laptop, I normally use the study or relax mode, depending on the other sources of lights available in the room.
Another great feature is the adjustable brightness, which basically allows to fine-tune the amount of light. A little issue I have is that the controls are touch-sensitive, and sometimes they need to be touched more than once. But having said that, the quality of the product is really good and certainly better than it looks from the pictures here.

Another plus is that this is a foldable lamp, and can be easily moved. The USB charging port is useful when using your phone while you are reading/working and you need to charge it but still need it.
Good for saving energy with LED, compared to standard bulbs, and no flicker at all. I often have eye strain and personally I love LED rather than normal bulbs.

I am very impressed also by the design, it fits perfectly in my room. Overall, I think this is a great lamp and, compared to other lamps, it offers impressive value for the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply a stylish, practical lamp, that is multipurpose., 8 July 2014
A. Jein "Jeineous" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Love this item, not only is it slim line so doesn't take up a huge amount of space on the top, but doesn't take up a massive amount to eye line space either. It is modern looking too. The adjustable preset brightness are perfect, however if you think that they aren't 100% to your liking you can still adjust them slightly which ideal when you are trying to work or read or simply using it as a night light.

There is a great 60 minute power off setting allowing you to switch it and go off to bed still in the light, no more walking into the walls or standing on that annoying bit of lego you forgot to pick up.

The handy USB adapter built into the unit saves on having the extra phone cables hanging around as well, my phone now sits at the bottom of the lamp when I need to top up the battery.

Simply a stylish, practical lamp, that is multipurpose. Ideal for living room, bedroom or study.